Fatality 60minutes spot

Smith said:
You do know that you can never enjoy what you make... well atleast in my, and a lot of others', experience.

that is an odd statement, now I can relate to the point that you may never be fully satisfied with what you make.. meaning always room for improvement, but I enjoy the art I create and the joy and smiles it brings to other people.

Tetrahedron said:
Is money the end all of why you do everything in life? I surely hope not. But I do agree with you that people will go play games for money, people alot of things for money, I am not gonna argue that.. just that money is not the most important thing is life.. in fact its pretty far down on MY chart in terms of ranking... too bad it isnt like that for most people.. might actually be able to solve alot of social issues.

Money of course isn't the end all be all, but what makes you think he doesn't enjoy what he does for a living? If he enjoys what he does, and he gets paid, is that his fault, is he not supposed to enjoy what he does? Should you rag on him?

Tetrahedron said:
That is not the case at all. Its more that its NOT worth doing!, especially for my friend who doesnt have to work (he is 24 too, not some kid).. he would rather spend his time playing the game in comfort of his own house where he can partake in 'special' smoking activities as well.. instead of wasting his time to go somewhere and play video games against a bunch of losers!

this is how i see gaming touraments -

ooooo look at me!!!! look at ME!!! ME ME ME ME ME ME I am the suP5r l33t UB3rizor of A111!!!!!!!!!! i AM numB3r ONE ONE ONE You cant BE bettere thaan m3 i am b3st33stest!!! eva!

Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. This friend of your's sure sounds like a winner.

He sits around smoking pot and playing one video game all the time. How exactly is that any better than practicing one game all the time and going to a tournament to play?

I don't think you want to know how I see someone on a forum bragging about how much better his friend is than someone else.

Tetrahedron said:
I rip on him because his so-called line of computer parts, like a motherboard.. has less features.. aka features like serial ports, etc.. taken off the board (which is awesome btw, since they are pretty much useless on a gaming rig for me) but yet the motherboard costs more..

WTF?!?!

You take parts off, slap his name on it.. and charge more... hahahha... RIP OFF!!!

Not his fault the companys are greedy and try to make money off of suckers! :p

I never knew he was from Kansas City, MO. I went to school an hour away from the guy and no one every asked did you know that "great" video game athlete?

Tetrahedron said:
key word... arguably... plus I doubt Jordan isnt cocky enough to make this claim about himself anyways.

How is gaming different than sports? it takes eye and hand cooridation to perform both things.. and any professional sport player will tell you that sports is pretty much ALL mental. Just like everything else... its all you head. Just like gaming.

It takes a hell of a lot more physically for sports. Thats the difference.

pistola said:
Personally I would rather make my money making games rather than playing them. I like to play games for enjoyment, I think doing professonally would take the fun out of it.
Doing anything professional with games sucks the enjoyment out of it. I know it, and almost anyone in the industry agrees with it.

fromage said:
Money of course isn't the end all be all, but what makes you think he doesn't enjoy what he does for a living? If he enjoys what he does, and he gets paid, is that his fault, is he not supposed to enjoy what he does? Should you rag on him?

Cause of the lame computer parts using his name, like I said from the beginning.. More power to him in what he does!

Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. This friend of your's sure sounds like a winner.

He sits around smoking pot and playing one video game all the time. How exactly is that any better than practicing one game all the time and going to a tournament to play?

I don't think you want to know how I see someone on a forum bragging about how much better his friend is than someone else.

Nope he isnt a winner at all, I admit that.. he could alot more constructive things with his time... I rag on him all the time for that.

I am not bragging at all... just pointing out different choices people make. Plus i NEVER said he was better than fagal1ty

Not his fault the companys are greedy and try to make money off of suckers!

Its not his fault that there are suckers! but it is his fault for allowing such feeble computer parts carry his name.

Hmmm, lets see...

stay at home vs. drive to work

winner: stay at home
(lets not forget all of the things and comforts that come with this)

Have a top of the line rig vs. a dell from 3 years ago

winner: top of the line rig

Listen to surround sound gaming vs. listen to the %&)(#&%*@ boss

winner: listen to surround sound gaming

Enjoying what you do vs. dreading going into work the next day right before you fall asleep

winner: enjoying what you do

the list goes on and on and on and on

Most of the guys mockin this guy really have no idea what they're saying. I'd be playing these games 8 hours a day if I were paid that much to do it you bet your ass. The Western world is just not accustomed to it yet because generally it takes Americans much longer to accept this kind of thing. A couple generations down the road will finally show all of the macho "it's nothing because it doesn't involve someone being in peak physical condition" people that their heads are up their asses. Look at Korea (and moreover, most of Asia) and most European countries. Get your heads out of the gutter and accept the fact that things change with time, yes even your precious professional sports.

Torgo said:
Doing anything professional with games sucks the enjoyment out of it. I know it, and almost anyone in the industry agrees with it.

That's not true at all. I love games still. Sid Meiers and Wil Wright both enjoy their DS's I heard That's simply not true. Some of us make games because we love them, not because it's our job. I mean if you're mining out textures at EA or a game tester somewhere then...yeah.

Never ever call gaming a "sport" folks.

It's the 80's all over again.

Every fatality thread turns into this. Look, it's a matter of perspective. Intellectual "sports" may well be an accurate name for them because it is an aptitude you can increase with hard work and does take some talent. In the future, when our brains are transplanted into machines, it may be the only sport left. :D

But seriously, let's not argue. Three posts down someone will pull out the dictionary and blah blah blah.

Nope he isnt a winner at all, I admit that.. he could alot more constructive things with his time... I rag on him all the time for that.

What? Ohhh, you mean do constructive things with his time like sit on an internet message board and put down a guy that gets paid for what he loves to do? I bet deep down in side you wish you were him, you are GREEN with envy, it is blinding through my screen.

Its not his fault that there are suckers! but it is his fault for allowing such feeble computer parts carry his name.

Why should he care? He still gets the same check in the mail whether the computer parts are the best or worst in the hardware industry. I doubt he is losing any sleep over it. Besides, his name branded parts are not all that bad. It is called CAPITILISM. I am sure the $60.00 Adidas basketball shoes give as much grip and support as the $150.00 Air Jordans, but you don’t see people crying and bitching about that. Get a life.

And please…if you want to make a critical, wait, scathing remarks about someone… at least learn how to… use periods and commas… … …

He has skill of course, but this whole 60 Minutes thing irks me the wrong way for some reason. I guess to "inform" a larger audience...

I know you older guys remember the "Gameshows" back in the 80's where people competed via videogames. It's gonna happen again I tells you!!! Heed the warning!! :) Blood will drip down the walls!!

Starfox said:
What? Ohhh, you mean do constructive things with his time like sit on an internet message board and put down a guy that gets paid for what he loves to do? I bet deep down in side you wish you were him, you are GREEN with envy, it is blinding through my screen.

I am getting paid for this ya know.. I am at work... fortunately I sit on my ass all day at work... been that way for 2 years now... what a job I have.

Why should he care? He still gets the same check in the mail whether the computer parts are the best or worst in the hardware industry. I doubt he is losing any sleep over it. Besides, his name branded parts are not all that bad. It is called CAPITILISM. I am sure the $60.00 Adidas basketball shoes give as much grip and support as the $150.00 Air Jordans, but you don’t see people crying and bitching about that. Get a life.

So if we company A comes to you and goes hey we are gonna make this product and put your name on it. cool cool you think right? until you find out it is crap.. but hey you got paid right.. nothing on to worry about on your end right? Unless of course this product happened to be found to kill babies.. i mean you got paid right.. who cares if babies dies right?

See here.. YOU should care about how your name is used.. where it is used. It is your reputation at stake.

And please…if you want to make a critical, wait, scathing remarks about someone… at least learn how to… use periods and commas… … …

... ... ....... ... .. . . ... .. . . .... . ! .... . . , .

is that better? I mean this is English class right?

F "real" sports. Angry over-paid felons getting millions to throw a ball around....

that is totally, totally, insane.

Do you know what really makes me laugh? When I turn on the tv, and see 4 guys, dressed in suits, do an in-depth analysis of the latest game. These guys are actually serisous to!

They should be putting all of that thought into solving one of Americas billion issues like, oh I don't know, Bush, war in iraq, illegal aliens, the partiot act, etc.

/rant

Except the product he endorses aren't really all that bad. Sure it's expensive, but it's a brand name. You're paying for the name.

Look at a baseline BMW, without power windows, air conditioning, and whatever. It will still cost $30 grand, while a Kia would have power windows, air conditioning, and everything else, and it will be $15 grand. You're paying for the BMW brand name. The same thing applies here.

fromage said:
Except the product he endorses aren't really all that bad. Sure it's expensive, but it's a brand name. You're paying for the name.

Look at a baseline BMW, without power windows, air conditioning, and whatever. It will still cost $30 grand, while a Kia would have power windows, air conditioning, and everything else, and it will be $15 grand. You're paying for the BMW brand name. The same thing applies here.

Um, I think there is a quality/safety/100 other things difference between the two and not just the name. :D

fromage said:

Maybe so..

but a BMW comes with all those options (35k) and the KIA (15k) too.. just different prices.. so if I started a car company with the Fatal1ty name on it... I would just make sure it doesnt come with any options... that way it would be just like the computer parts with his name on it, and then charge 65k.. that way it would make sense.

Neurofreeze said:
http://www.fatal1ty.com/mystory/

His site doesn't even say he's the best, just the most prolific and well-known. Everyone needs to read more and assume less.

Thank you for the clarification, that is why i asked questions and didnt assume, now i know better :)

Most of the guys mockin this guy really have no idea what they're saying. I'd be playing these games 8 hours a day if I were paid that much to do it you bet your ass

i used to sit around for 8-10, 14 hours a day playing games, when i got a hold of Delta Force II and got intoa squad, 17-18 years old, play it day and night when i wasnt working!

i would making a living off of playing video games if i was good enough, but now being 26 and getting old and slow, i dont think i would have a chance against alot of these young kids now a days.

Yeah fatal1ty is ok but starcraft > fps games and there are lots of ppl making way more than fatal1ty playing starcraft.

fromage said:
FPS is where the money is at. There's no money in the States for RTS/Racing games.

I've always wondered why it takes U.S. a longer time to join a global past time, such as soccer, e-sports...and soccer? RTS is a HUGE market in Korea, with cable channels dedicated to the sport. No joke, when I visit the PC Bangs (internet cafe, LAN, etc.), they are pretty much filled up, not like the 4 or 6 people that show up at random times in illinois. The WCG (World Cyber Games) also has need for speed (one of the series) as one of the games, along with starcraft in its tournament.

he is the only guy that makes a living doing it. Name one other guy that can make a living playing games.

Good 4 him. IF they only had more touneys or something.....that it might be worth play 8 to 12 hours a day.

Someone here said he didn't like the fact that Wendel (I hate spelling his alias) doesn't attend LAN unless there's a big prize money or some sort.

If you think about it, that's understandable. If you're occupation is a gamer, then you better make sure each LAN has a potential to pay your bills and expenses. I don't think he has another job, so his gamer life has to be profitable. But then again, this guy did make more than what some families can make in 3-4 years in just one year. It wouldn't hurt just to go to a small LAN to pwn some n00bs.....

ekorazn said:
Someone here said he didn't like the fact that Wendel (I hate spelling his alias) doesn't attend LAN unless there's a big prize money or some sort.

If you think about it, that's understandable. If you're occupation is a gamer, then you better make sure each LAN has a potential to pay your bills and expenses. I don't think he has another job, so his gamer life has to be profitable. But then again, this guy did make more than what some families can make in 3-4 years in just one year. It wouldn't hurt just to go to a small LAN to pwn some n00bs.....

People have a definate double standard with professional gamers for some reason.

this guy did nothing for pc gaming. he's just good at games...another typical 60 minutes review.

I really don't understand why people hate on this guy for being good at computer games and making money from playing it. Is it because you people can't accept this? It really blows my mind. It's as if playing computer games is any different than playing anything else. I'm willing to bet you that if this discussion was on POKER that you guys wouldn't be hating on the good poker players. I mean shit, poker is basically the same as computer gaming to me.

Both can be played for fun, yet both can be played seriously to make money at tournaments. With poker, you need to know the hands and possibilities to be able to play well. With computer gaming, you need to know the game inside and out to play well. Neither require any physical prowess to be good. Both require a level of strategy, skill, and in many cases, luck.

I would wager a bet that if any of you that are putting Fatal1ty down would not be doing so if this was a 60 minutes segment detailing the life of a poker champion that makes his living from winning poker tournaments. People are good at different things, and if people are able to do what they are good at to make money, then all the more power to them.

Let's see...

He spends his day doing something he enjoys. At the end of the week, he gets a lot of money for it. All in all, he's happy with where he is at in life.

So why does anyone try to take that from him? Sure you may not enjoy playing video games 10 hours a day. Guess what, he does! I went and ran 13 miles on Saturday for the fun of it. Many of you would not have enjoyed (or attempted) that. Would I stop if somone started paying me? No, I would do it harder, faster, and more often.

Bottom line is he is getting paid for something he enjoys to do. In a world where only a few people can go through their lives without earning some sort of paycheck, what more can you ask for?

Nobody on this site is as good as he is at his games of choice. And it pisses people off that hes making money from it.

And why should he go to lans for free, jesus if I did as many lans as he did, payed or not, I would not want to waste my time playing at it unless it paid something.

Do any of you want to do a free day of work at your job here and there? I am sure hes getting a bit bored of kicking everyones asses in games. Hell I get bored ranking 50th on a 64 player server. The guy is probably hitting the ceiling of his gaming career, if you guys hate him so much, just let him die out in peace.

DudeItsMe said:
Let's see...

He spends his day doing something he enjoys. At the end of the week, he gets a lot of money for it. All in all, he's happy with where he is at in life.

So why does anyone try to take that from him? Sure you may not enjoy playing video games 10 hours a day. Guess what, he does! I went and ran 13 miles on Saturday for the fun of it. Many of you would not have enjoyed (or attempted) that. Would I stop if somone started paying me? No, I would do it harder, faster, and more often.

Bottom line is he is getting paid for something he enjoys to do. In a world where only a few people can go through their lives without earning some sort of paycheck, what more can you ask for?

Damn you can run 13 miles I can barely run ONE LOL wow I really need to get in shape :(

Could anyone host the video somewhere? Tried to watch it on the site linked, but didn't seem to load anything at all...

-points to location- I dunno how long it will be till they air it over here, you see.

The guy is probably hitting the ceiling of his gaming career, if you guys hate him so much, just let him die out in peace.
I don't think anyone here hates him, envy yes, hate nah.

Like what was said in an earlier posts: Many people have jobs they lothe, and to do something many people consider a passtime as a profession is really damn cool.

Attean said:
That's not true at all. I love games still. Sid Meiers and Wil Wright both enjoy their DS's I heard That's simply not true. Some of us make games because we love them, not because it's our job. I mean if you're mining out textures at EA or a game tester somewhere then...yeah.
For most people, it becomes "work" which is not fun. You no longer game because you want to, but because you have to. Sure you can find time to find some game to pass the time, but it does change your mindset.

This also applies to professional gamers. It's not just playing Quake IV or Unreal 2007 just because it's fun. Wendel puts in eight hour days every day to keep his skills up. That doesn't equate to having a great time every second. It's actual work, planning and execution. He doesn't perform and he doesn't get paid. The sport itself is new, but it'll be interesting how this all trends out. How much practice does a professional need to put in to maintain his elite status? Can you just win out of the blue or is training and practice mandatory and what is required?

Tetrahedron said:
I am getting paid for this ya know.. I am at work... fortunately I sit on my ass all day at work... been that way for 2 years now... what a job I have.

No, I didn’t know. In actuality, you are getting paid to do your job, but you are a lazy and incompetent bum so instead you post over-exaggerated bullshit on message boards.

So if we company A comes to you and goes hey we are gonna make this product and put your name on it. cool cool you think right? until you find out it is crap.. but hey you got paid right.. nothing on to worry about on your end right? Unless of course this product happened to be found to kill babies.. i mean you got paid right.. who cares if babies dies right?

Once again, over-exaggerated bullshit. Fatality labeled products are actually pretty damn good. You would know that if you actually did some research instead of using your prejudice thinking against someone you are jealous of.

... ... ....... ... .. . . ... .. . . .... . ! .... . . , .

is that better? I mean this is English class right?

No, you are still proving your idiocy, but I guess that is okay with an idiot.

I have a theory. I believe that Wendel has a full time PR firm working for him to start these little flame wars every time his name comes up on popular forums. There is no such thing as bad publicity right? EVERY time his name is mentioned the thread plays out like clockwork.

1. Check out the latest Fatal1ty accomplishment/interview/product
2. He's such a loser/fag/prick ... I could be as good as him if I played all day
3. flame, flame, flame
4. You're just jealous because he's successful at his sport
5. Gaming is not a sport, cue the link to webster's dictionary online
6. flame, flame, flame
7. Dust settles and everyone agrees that while they don't know him in real life his career is certainly impressive.

Meanwhile, 500 n00bs who've never heard of Jonathan Wendel start running google searches and buying up Abit motherboards, Creative Soundcards, and Fatal1ty branded gaming peripherals.

I think it's brilliant; I'm going to hire the same PR group and start marketing myself as the most well-known 'extreme' baker in the world. Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines and Sarah Lee will be lining up for product endorsements. :cool:

Back