"Fatal System Error"

Carv

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, so my dad is on my mom's computer and he decides to install another version of Norton AntiVirus (Because for some reason they have this weird case of paranoia were they install a new version of Norton every 3 damn months). So while he's installing it our power goes out for 5 minutes. Good timing eh? Now the computer is connected to an APC that is maxed out because he has way too much stuff connected on it so the battery can't power anything now. But that's not my problem here. Problem is that since the computer abruptly turned off while doing the installation the computer now gives a blue screen with a "Fatal System Error" message.

I took 2 pictures:

error1.JPG

error2.JPG

When you boot it up it goes through the windows loading screen then gives the blue screen. I even tried booting it into Safe Mode and it still gave the Blue Screen without even taking me to the login screen. It's a Dell Dimension 4550 purchased early 2002.

If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated. :)

Going to try and bump this. I'm guessing I can get the XP Setup CD and try booting off it and selecting the "Repair Windows" option on that. Anyone know what it does, or how it works? Or if the computer will lose any data?

the repair option should repair system files that have become damaged or corrupted. You should not have any data loss from doing a repair. It will repair said damaged files to the state of the version on the cd, so windows updates will be needed to bring the os to current.

This is the comand set you want from the recovery console.

"CHKDSK
chkdsk drive /p /r
The chkdsk command checks the specified drive and repairs or recovers the drive if the drive requires it.The command also marks any bad sectors and it recovers readable information.

You can use the following options:
/p : Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors.
/r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Note If you specify the /r option, the /p option is implied. When you specify the chkdsk command without arguments, the command checks the current drive with no options in effect.

When you run the chkdsk command, you are required to use the Autochk.exe file. CHKDSK automatically locates this file in the startup folder. If the Command Console was preinstalled, the startup folder is typically the Cmdcons folder. If CHKDSK cannot find Autochk.exe in the startup folder, CHKDSK tries to locate the Windows CD-ROM installation media. If it cannot find the installation media, CHKDSK prompts you for the location of the Autochk.exe file. "

^I ran that, and let it run for about 45 minutes. I wen't to check on it again and it seemed to be done saying that it had "Found one or more errors" and then it showed the amount of space in the drive, and the allocation size or something of that nature.

So I typed in exit and let it reboot to find that it was'nt fixed. :( Now about the AUTOCHK.exe, I noticed that before the blue screen comes up this other screen shows that says it can't execute AUTOCHK.exe and that the file is not found.

I ran it with /p /r I put both of them on the command line.

Alright something I did'nt mention. When I ran it the first time that it took 45 minutes and looked like it was fixing something I ran it with the volume specified as "F:" I ran it like that because that's what it showed Windows was installed on which puzzled me.

So today I ran it with volume "C:" were I know Windows is installed.

And it gave me:

recoveryconsole.JPG

*Sorry for horrible image quality, my camera sucks

So yea, as you can see it says "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

:( Has my luck run out?

you can try choosing the 2nd repair option ... when the repair option is first given , dont .. you will get the option again after you agree to the EULA whatever (hit F8) ..that repair option will reinstall some system files , and I have never lost any data with that "2nd" repair option

[F]old|[H]

^When I get the option to install a copy of XP it takes me to the EULA, and when I accept it sends me to the Partition page.

In my opinion i would wipe the disk full with 0's and start fresh...removing norton products is like having a nasty virus infection, sometimes Windows survives, sometimes it takes a dump :(

oldmx

^Yea, I'm just trying to see if I can get it to come back without doing a fresh install. Because my mother has a good 3 years worth of stock and accounting information saved that is'nt backed up. If I can get in and move those files elsewere I'll do a fresh install after. Hopefully there is hope to the "2nd Recovery Option" ThreeDee is talking about.

Carv said:
^When I get the option to install a copy of XP it takes me to the EULA, and when I accept it sends me to the Partition page.
..if thats happenning , then your not using the same xp disc (type/version) as what was originally installed

within xp home and pro there seem to be different "versions" .. if same is detected , then you get your second repair option that comes up after you hit F8 .. I was assuming you had same xp disc as what was originally installed on your comp. :(

You could just do a reinstall and select "keep current file system intact" .(or something like that type option)

It either renames or moves your "My Documents" folder to some obscure location , but doesnt delete it... so you wouldnt lose anything if you had something you wanted to keep in that folder.

[F]old|[H]

yea.. i dont think your gonna get outta this thing with all your data, inface id be suprised if you got any of it. sounds like you orphaned half your drive.

hmm ..if its not letting you do anything until you set valid partitions ..then , yeah .. you could be hosed if you dont have any disk fix/recovery utility disc's laying around

..maybe try popping in a "Live" distro of some sort (I have played with Overclockix and like the tools it has) and see if you can at least get the data you want to keep off your hdd ..then try a reformat reinstall of windows providing that your hdd isnt toast

You wouldnt happen to have "Go Back" installed on this comp do you?

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm scroll down until you see your 0xc000021a error

[F]old|[H]

best thing to do at this point is to assuming there is no warentee is to take the hard drive out and put it in a workign comp use the bootable pc to find and grab the files you need backed up and then making sure you got every thing wipe it then move it back to your dads pc and re install windows...

your not going to recover your old install at this point...

also this unfortunately can occur due to driver corruption and possibly power surges causing hardware to go bad... i had a ati tv tuner card i had it working in xp then suddenly my pc stopped booting with that error i removed the card on sudden 6th sense instict and my pc booted...

Back