FAT32 external drive capacity issue

sprale

n00b
I have a 230Gb Maxtor external drive that shows 188Gb free and 45Gb used. I am trying to copy a few 4.5Gb backup images created with Acronis TrueImage. Each time, I get an error that says there is not enough free space.

I have the drive in FAT32 so I can use it on Mac and Windows systems. Windows XP Pro Corporate SP3.

Am I really limited to 4Gb-1byte or is there any workaround? Am I going to have to backup again with the sub-4Gb parameter? Any thoughts?

FAT32's max file size is 4 GB, that's it. You can write to NTFS from Mac OSX with NTFS-3G (user space tool).

Alternatively, you can have Acronis split the backup image into files under 4gigs in size. I no longer have any FAT formatted partitions, but that file split capability is still useful for backing up to CDR or DVDR.

Alternatively, you can have Acronis split the backup image into files under 4gigs in size. I no longer have any FAT formatted partitions, but that file split capability is still useful for backing up to CDR or DVDR.

In hindsight, that's a great idea, and I thought of it myself. But I would have to recreate the backup with the new parameters... I'm just a bit impatient at times, and I'll sometimes spend more time looking for an easy way than it would take to do it properly...:rolleyes:

with fat32 only way to do it is make the file size less then 4G, no other way, limitation of fat32.

I have a 230Gb Maxtor external drive that shows 188Gb free and 45Gb used. I am trying to copy a few 4.5Gb backup images created with Acronis TrueImage. Each time, I get an error that says there is not enough free space.

I have the drive in FAT32 so I can use it on Mac and Windows systems. Windows XP Pro Corporate SP3.

Am I really limited to 4Gb-1byte or is there any workaround? Am I going to have to backup again with the sub-4Gb parameter? Any thoughts?

What is XP Pro Corporate?

And yes, 4GB is the limit. Also, try to avoid making huge files in the root of a FAT drive. Make a folder and stick them there.... (There is a limit on entries in the root folder)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

anyone who says XP PRO corporate actually means Xp Pro SP3 PIRATED - no such thing as "corporate" version of windows, but pirates love to call it corporate to pass on the message that it does not need to be activated and is pre-cracked basically.

anyone who says XP PRO corporate actually means Xp Pro SP3 PIRATED - no such thing as "corporate" version of windows, but pirates love to call it corporate to pass on the message that it does not need to be activated and is pre-cracked basically.

Wrong. The "Corporate" or "Volume license" version of Windows XP comes with a volume license key. Single user keys do not work for the volume license media, only volume license keys. All the PC's in the company may be installed using a single license key.

Volume license keys are invalid for retail XP versions. The first "Cracked" XP releases were actually "Corporate" or volume license XP install disks with stolen volume license keys set to auto-enter from unattend.txt files. A lot of volume license keys have been invalidated over the years and will no longer pass WGA tests due to this.

Wrong. The "Corporate" or "Volume license" version of Windows XP comes with a volume license key. Single user keys do not work for the volume license media, only volume license keys. All the PC's in the company may be installed using a single license key.

Volume license keys are invalid for retail XP versions. The first "Cracked" XP releases were actually "Corporate" or volume license XP install disks with stolen volume license keys set to auto-enter from unattend.txt files. A lot of volume license keys have been invalidated over the years and will no longer pass WGA tests due to this.

I know it's called Volume Licensed, I actually worked on WPA. Nowhere in any documentation from Microsoft is it called Corporate edition. Thus I was curious as to what the OP had installed. ;)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I refer to it as a Corporate version or VLK version all the time, and I can promise you that mine isn't pirated. It's actually quite logical to refer to it as the Corporate version, because that is the only place you will find it. You aren't going to buy it off the shelf for yourself.

I have used a product called MacDrive since the Windows NT4 days. It works pretty good for HFS+ formatted drives. You can read/write HFS+ formatted hard drives on Windows. The draw back is that it is not free, but it is not too expensive, I think around $50:

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

+1 for MacDrive.

it's $49.99 for one license and I believe they're running a special for $59.99 for two licenses. It doesn't really help with the situation at hand but a great product worth looking into.

Other than that, you're going to have to recreate the backup and split it under 4GB.

Back