FastMail.FM has been acquired by Opera Software

Interesting. I remember the REASON I had to go seek out another e-mail account (and found FastMail) was to register for this site when you couldn't use any of the common e-mail providers. Honestly, haven't logged in since then, but I know a lot of people liked the service so sad to see it going away as well.

Fastmail.fm is awesome. Great IMAP support and the developers have always fully supported Opera (and new things like HTML5's registerProtocolHandler). The only thing that sucks about fastmail is that you have to pay to get significant storage. You only get 10MB with a free account.

Now that Opera has acquired Fastmail.fm, operamail.com will probably end up being powered by fastmail, but have an Opera-specific front-end and operamail.com will probably be tied to my.opera.com accounts. And, any improvements Opera makes to the fastmail backend, fastmail.fm should get the improvements too. At least that's what I think will happen.

With the My Opera community being huge (~4.5 million members), fastmail might get a lot of new users.

This is also good news for Opera's built-in mail client "M2". Gmail IMAP has a goofy way of doing things (that affects all IMAP clients) that inerferes with usage of Opera's filters. Fastmail doesn't have this problem.

Sorry to see them go away.

They're not going away. And, so far, it looks like Opera's going to leave the fastmail.fm domain and UI etc. as-is (improvements aside). There's been no talk of destroying the Fastmail brand or anything like that.

I see nothing to worry about. Opera is also very trustworthy. (They cannot afford to be anything else)

Back