fastest wireless vs wired networking for small office

blue_heart71

Limp Gawd
A friend asked to upgrade his office network (3 desktops and one laptop with 54mbps wi-fi capable).
As I know their hub is 10baseT only (don’t know what the cable and NICs speeds are).

Considering the network needs new cabling, NICs and hub at the fastest possible speed, I came to the decision whether to go wireless or wired networking.

Basically, the fastest wireless I can get is 125mbps using Belkin F5D7001 and Belkin F5D7231-4.
While, the fastest wired networking I can get is 1000mbps (which is 10 times faster than fastest wireless) is Netgear GA311 but unfortunately I couldn’t find any hub (at Frys) that supports 1000mbps (please link me to one from non online dealer)

However, the question is to go wireless or wired? When your speed target is 100mbps.

There seems to be some fears from wireless networking such as interference with cell phones and wireless phones, how true is this? I have no fear from security since I will use WEP key on the router.

Wired for sure.
Wireless should only be used when necessary because of security reasons. If they are using these computers for business they will most likely be transmitting confidential/sensitive information. With wireless, someone could park out front and attempt to compromise your network from his car.

Also, if you do wireless only, if something in the area interferes with it, you're business is stuck until the phone shuts off.

Another thing, if you only do wireless and you decide you want to connect a copy machine or network printer of some sort to the network, you'll have to run the cabling again.

blue_heart71 said:
I have no fear from security since I will use WEP key on the router.
WEp can be broken. WPA would be better
randyc said:
Another thing, if you only do wireless and you decide you want to connect a copy machine or network printer of some sort to the network, you'll have to run the cabling again.
Not entirely true. My HP 6840 is entirely wireless and there are several more printers and such that have wireless built in

Worse comes to worse you could get a USB capable router for the printer or a printer with ethernet

Wired is still the best way to go though. Too much interference with wireless. 802.11A may not have as much interference though...

Why does the network need new cabling?
If it runs 10baseT, you may be able to run 100base on it.

Unless it's coax or something along those lines.

Back