• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Fastest Wireless Possible

Thank you.





I thought price wasn't a factor until I click the link....but even with that how would I connect to it? The adapter used to connect would limit the speed.

It connects via POE gigabit ethernet, how is that limiting. Although since it is 24Ghz you probably would need line of sight for it to work at rated speed.
 
It connects via POE gigabit ethernet, how is that limiting. Although since it is 24Ghz you probably would need line of sight for it to work at rated speed.

OIC.....But just about 2ooo bucks too much for me.
 
Technically using (2) certified 802.11ac routers in bridge mode running 5Ghz with narrow focused beam antennas should be able to get about 600Mbps without line of site. Unfortunately the 802.11 routers are just arriving on the market and I wouldn't guarantee that, that setup will work properly until someone tests it.
 
Technically using (2) certified 802.11ac routers in bridge mode running 5Ghz with narrow focused beam antennas should be able to get about 600Mbps without line of site. Unfortunately the 802.11 routers are just arriving on the market and I wouldn't guarantee that, that setup will work properly until someone tests it.

This route is actually quite tempting. I'll have 2 computer downstairs and 2 computers upstairs + work laptop with docking station.

The router is 200 bucks and the adapter is 100 bucks and I'd have to buy 2 adapters... so the price point is about the same at 400. The two routers will literally be right on top of echother with just a roof/floor between them.

If I can get around 400 Mbps stable I should be good....I'll buy a external SSD with USB 3.0 for larger file moves.
 
I think you're missing some of the details....

Assuming you get the bridge to work and you actually get 600Mbps of bandwidth..... Let's look at what occurs when you try to talk from a machine downstairs to a machine upstairs.


Computer #1 talks to Router #1
Router #1 talks to Router #2
Router #2 talks to Computer #2

Since your're asking the routers to transmit and receive at the same time the throughput gets cut in half. AKA half-duplex.

So you only will see 300Mbps throughput......in theory with the setup above.

If you connected each computer via a ethernet cable to each wireless network....then you might see 600Mbps.

We're just discussing theory at this point as I have not seen, touched or know of anyone who has tested a 802.11ac bridged network system.
 
I think you're missing some of the details....

Assuming you get the bridge to work and you actually get 600Mbps of bandwidth..... Let's look at what occurs when you try to talk from a machine downstairs to a machine upstairs.


Computer #1 talks to Router #1
Router #1 talks to Router #2
Router #2 talks to Computer #2

Since your're asking the routers to transmit and receive at the same time the throughput gets cut in half. AKA half-duplex.

So you only will see 300Mbps throughput......in theory with the setup above.

If you connected each computer via a ethernet cable to each wireless network....then you might see 600Mbps.

We're just discussing theory at this point as I have not seen, touched or know of anyone who has tested a 802.11ac bridged network system.

Yeah I'd be running 3 cables to the router upstairs and 1 cable 1 Wireless downstairs. Plus a plethora of wireless devices.

Still have until the 15th so I'll see if I can find someone on the internets who has tested this.
 
Honestly you'll probably be best served by a combination of wireless N and 2nd gen 500Mbps Powerline adapters.


At least then you have a real chance of having a network that will operate at or above 100Mbps. Your best outcome using powerline is ending up with about 280Mbps of usable throughput but again you share that bandwidth with any other devices using that tech.


My advice is buy a good wireless N router and buy a 2nd+ gen powerline kit.

Consider what machines will be talking to what machines at the same time.

If you need MORE usable bandwidth and don't want any slowdowns add MoCA to your mix.

Is it annoying to use three different technologies YES...but it appears to be your best chance to get high the fastest no cable through the walls network.


If you use all three technologies you should be able to have a network that can sustain 90Mbps of traffic. With the MoCA and powerline being able to sustain as high as 280Mbps.... again as long as ONLY one device is using that data transport at a time.
 
Yeah I'd be running 3 cables to the router upstairs and 1 cable 1 Wireless downstairs. Plus a plethora of wireless devices.

Still have until the 15th so I'll see if I can find someone on the internets who has tested this.

Screw that...

Cable the three upstairs devices to a gigabit switch (placed upstairs), plug in either a 2nd+ gen powerline adapter or MoCA adapter to the gigabit switch (upstairs). Place the wireless router downstairs, connect the other powerline or MoCA adapter into the router to bridge the upstairs network to the downstairs network. Connect the downstairs machine via wireless N.

DONE

The reason you want the wireless router downstairs is because wireless router radiate outwards and up. Placing the router upstairs means you will have a much weaker signal downstairs. If you need more/better wireless access upstairs add a Ubiquity Unifi upstairs later.
 
Looking at this another way..... If you follow my advice:

All the machines upstairs can communicate with each other at 1Gbps.
Internet access will be FULL speed for everyone (no bottlenecks)
The single wireless client will be limited by (wireless N) which is a limitation you can not get around unless you don't use wireless N.

Besides... its far cheaper to swap out the router and buy 802.11ac equipment later. and only (1) machine will see ANY benefit. AND EVEN then it will only see a 30% performance increase when connecting to the machines upstairs. (internet performance will stay the same).

Besides that you should still be able to stream most 1080p content without any issues to a single client over wireless N.


Your future upgrade path would be:

Swap out wireless N for (good known working) 802.11ac equipment.
Swap out your 2nd+ gen powerline equipment for 3rd or 4th gen 1Gb over powerline equipment.
 
all good idea's, some not possible like MoCA because there is only 1 coaxial line in the house.

I already have 2 wireless N routers now....they aren't capable of 1080 streaming small jerks and skips every now and then. DIR-655 and TEW-639GR... both given to me for free. So I'm going to start out with this and it will work until I solidify a good solution. Which will be easier to do after i move in.

Powerline would be very simple to hook both these routers up too. Only concern would be the unknown old electrical system. This might be worth a checking out as a first option simply because its cheapest, and if it doesn't work I can just return it.

I don't really know how wireless signals work but Mackintire said they shoot their wireless sauce up and out.....If I put the one upstairs upside down like under a desk or table would it shoot down?

Also does it help that there is a window upstairs and downstairs right where both wireless routers will be? Would they connect faster out 1 window then in the other or through the walls......My ignorance of how wireless signals penetrate matter is apparent glass could very well block wireless signals more than wood and carpet.
 
all good idea's, some not possible like MoCA because there is only 1 coaxial line in the house.

I already have 2 wireless N routers now....they aren't capable of 1080 streaming small jerks and skips every now and then. DIR-655 and TEW-639GR... both given to me for free. So I'm going to start out with this and it will work until I solidify a good solution. Which will be easier to do after i move in.

Powerline would be very simple to hook both these routers up too. Only concern would be the unknown old electrical system. This might be worth a checking out as a first option simply because its cheapest, and if it doesn't work I can just return it.

I don't really know how wireless signals work but Mackintire said they shoot their wireless sauce up and out.....If I put the one upstairs upside down like under a desk or table would it shoot down?

Also does it help that there is a window upstairs and downstairs right where both wireless routers will be? Would they connect faster out 1 window then in the other or through the walls......My ignorance of how wireless signals penetrate matter is apparent glass could very well block wireless signals more than wood and carpet.


DIR-655 should do ok for 1080p .. If the client is using a 3 stream adapter. ( you can't buy one, but you can make one ; )

Read the link I sent you on circuitbreakers and powerline adapters.

Technically if you pointed the router's antennas down pointing towards the floor if would radiate downwards.
 
This is a repost of a repost of a repost and if you want to know all the details I suggest you search for "best wireless card" on this forum.

But go to here: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-PCIe-Express-Adapter-Antenna/dp/B0057UPNBE

See halfway down the page were it says frequently bought together "buy both for $45.82"

Do that! Warning: Some assembly required, and you will need to download the drivers from the INTEL website. BUT hands down this is the best wireless card you can put into a desktop.

From that point forward you can upgrade to a better set of antennas if needed.

That will connect via 3 stream 144Mbps. Its no faster than 2 stream 144Mbps but it will give you a more consistent experience.

To meet the wireless N spec a adapter has to have 2 antennas and by default supports 2 streams.

Here the laymen's explanation one antenna directly communicates to the router. The other antenna grabs the signals that bounce off of the walls and using complex math fills in the blanks of missing data that arrive from the primary antenna.

If both ends have a third stream available they can use a even weaker and differently bounced signal to add data back into the primary wireless data stream.

Its not faster per say, you just don't end up losing as much data in the transfer.....so you effectively get closer to the perfect rate.

Some of the upcoming 802.11ac units are 4 stream units....which is getting a little silly.

The primary reason for 802.11ac is NOT faster wireless access. It's that the 802.11ac protocol allows 802.11ac connected devices to go into a low power state more often.

So for tablets and cell phones....802.11ac can add 20-60 minutes of usable battery life to the device. AND since it is capable of transmitting at higher data rates a client can burst data and shut down into that lower power mode more quickly again potentially saving battery life.

That doesn't mean that 802.11ac can not be used for faster wireless... You should just keep in mind what the designers of 802.11ac had in mind when they drafted the protocol.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Went with powerline, even after finding out they aren't on the same circuit. With my wireless I was getting transfer speeds around 6 MB/s with powerline I'm getting 7.7 MB/s.

pretty shity but was expecting that. still better than wireless. I might try a noise filter but who knows.

the entire upstairs(my office) is on its own circuit so I can't get on the same like without of effort.
 
Went with powerline, even after finding out they aren't on the same circuit. With my wireless I was getting transfer speeds around 6 MB/s with powerline I'm getting 7.7 MB/s.

pretty shity but was expecting that. still better than wireless. I might try a noise filter but who knows.

the entire upstairs(my office) is on its own circuit so I can't get on the same like without of effort.

You are getting 7.7 MBPS without them being on the same circuit? I would consider that a win....I didn't even know it would work if they weren't on the same circuit lol
 
Back
Top