Fastest Remote Desktop out there

ashrack

Limp Gawd
ATM I have Remotely Anywhere installed on my Win2k3 SERVER. Which is quite fast with LAN access to it, but for internet access its sluggish alhough it has 40KB/s of upstream bandwith available.
Which would U recommend and an aimming for speed and if possible FileTransfer support?

ps. it must support LINUX for clients

I have used a few... Timbuktu, VNC, PC Anywhere, Windows Remote Desktop, and Remote Administrator. I like Remote Administrator the best; it will allow port changes if there are any firewall/closed port problems, file transfer, and allows changes of the color/update speed/resolution. There is a 30-day trial ver at radmin.com.
Does not support Linux though...

ICEMOCHALATTE
Tried RADMIN in the past but it was always to slow for my needs and it also doesn't support LINUX for clients.
Which of the clients U've specified is the fastest for LAN connectivity?

Pcanywhere has a HUGE overhead when doing file transfers so stear clear of it.

Might as well go with VNC, it's free.

Ive always used TightVNC w\ openSSH and strict IP rules at the client firewall
but never had much bandwidth concerns so cant really address the relative bandwidth advantages

wait wait wait

you have Win2k3 server and you put that crappy PCanywhere on it?

Why?!?!?

Win2k3 has Terminal serve that when run in administrative mode allows for 2 admin connections to the server. It is faster than just about any other software to include VNC and it is included FREE on the server!

and there is a remote desktop client for linux as the sun/linux guys in this company run it.

http://www.rdesktop.org/

tskiller said:
Remote Desktop Protocol is the fastest out there because its fully integrated into the operating system. Its called terminal services as a previous poster mentioned. You will find nothing faster then it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linux+rdp+client <--- for linux? yep.

correct that is the link i posted ;)

no need for extra software, security is based on local security and it is fast. I admin servers in the other side of the world from my home pc without any problems. Not as fast as the console but i can guarantee that VNC chokes with that much latency.

figgie said:
wait wait wait

you have Win2k3 server and you put that crappy PCanywhere on it?

Why?!?!?

Win2k3 has Terminal serve that when run in administrative mode allows for 2 admin connections to the server. It is faster than just about any other software to include VNC and it is included FREE on the server!

and there is a remote desktop client for linux as the sun/linux guys in this company run it.

http://www.rdesktop.org/
Never gave a fair trial to RD in Win2k3 because of 2 obstacles:
1.U could not connect from linux to it. Which apperantly there's a work arround to it now. Will have to try it. TANX to Figgie and TSKILLER for supplying the info
2.And the most important one. How do I set RD in Win2k3 so that it wouldn't start a new session but use the current one, when I connect to it from a remote computer?
Since I am running eMule,FTP,usually some DIVX compiling, I would like to check what is going on. And when connecting from another computer I get a new login

ashrack said:
2.And the most important one. How do I set RD in Win2k3 so that it wouldn't start a new session but use the current one, when I connect to it from a remote computer?
Since I am running eMule,FTP,usually some DIVX compiling, I would like to check what is going on. And when connecting from another computer I get a new login

On the Windows client you would connect via command line using mstsc /v:servername /console and that will connect you to the console session of the server.

I don't deal with linux so I am not sure if the linux RDP software has the same/similiar option.

thanx. works great from windows.

and from UBUNTU linux I must type
rdesktop -0 servername

tanx 4 the help guys.

BYEBYE RemotelyAnwhere and the likes

SJConsultant said:
On the Windows client you would connect via command line using mstsc /v:servername /console and that will connect you to the console session of the server.
just out of curriosity, is there a GUI mode in which I could do the same as with the above command line? I find it really strange that MS wouldn't include such an option esspecially since Win is all GUIiiish and also my UBUNTU Linux has a GUI option for that

ashrack said:
just out of curriosity, is there a GUI mode in which I could do the same as with the above command line? I find it really strange that MS wouldn't include such an option esspecially since Win is all GUIiiish and also my UBUNTU Linux has a GUI option for that

well for Windows XP you can use the MMC based RDP client instead. That has a check box to allow connections to the console.

figgie said:
well for Windows XP you can use the MMC based RDP client instead. That has a check box to allow connections to the console.
COuld U be more specific on how to accomplish this?

I am kinda rusty on WIndows since am usually only in linux

Back