Fastest GPU without PCI power connector.

I'm only aware of higher end cards. So, what is the fastest card that doesn't require a PCI express power connector and takes power straight out from the motherboard? :D Can be Red or green, but preferably green.

I'm an AMD guy when it comes to video cards, I would have to take that 6750. But the GTS450 is impressive.

Red (6750) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161395
Green (GTS450) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500224

I'm guessing that the 6750 would be a bit more powerful, but I can;t say for sure.

All the HD 6670 don't require extra power connection. That is the highest Radeon HD right now that does not require one.
That HD 6750 does not but other brands of the chip will need a extra 6pin power connection. So if you get that specific HD6750 you won't need the 6pin but any other card including other HIS 6750 will need and may come with a 6pin power adaptor.

As for Nvidia, I don't have much experince with those right now to say for sure.

All the HD 6670 don't require extra power connection. That is the highest Radeon HD right now that does not require one.
That HD 6750 does not but other brands of the chip will need a extra 6pin power connection. So if you get that specific HD6750 you won't need the 6pin but any other card including other HIS 6750 will need and may come with a 6pin power adaptor.

As for Nvidia, I don't have much experince with those right now to say for sure.

That 6750 also comes with DDR3...the reason I assume it doesn't need a power connector so that would hinder performance as well but it should still perform better than a 6670.

Last edited:
That 6750 also comes with DDR3...the reason I assume it doesn't need a power connector so that would hinder performance as well but it should still perform better than a 6670.

Didn't notice that. :eek: Thanks for pointing that out. And I would agree the 6750 gpu will run faster then the 6670 gpu. :)

GDDR5 is DDR3 with modification made to improve it's performance for graphics workloads, as to the power requirements, it really depends on what chips the AIB maker decided to use. GDDR5 can use less power but can also clock higher.

Also note that any device that pulls less than 75W does not need any additional power, and depending on the motherboard, some can supply up to 150W through the slot itself, however not recommended unless you already have the power to back it up of course.

Technically if you can remove the BIOS lockout from the graphics card you could attempt to use any GPU as long as you know it will never draw above 75W without the PCI-E connector.

Currently most systems will not post if the GPU notices it is not plugged into external power.

Back