• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fastest drive setup for Windows XP Pro

Well when I look at that, logic tells me something obviously went wrong somewhere and it makes me question the validity of his other results, especially since they are contradicted by major review sites like StorageReview and AnandTech.
Some results are suprising, but nothing much complicated about running a stopwatch opening programs and whatnot. I still consider storagereview a reference site when it comes to single drives, but they really don't my admiration when it comes to RAID. They and Anandtech can't print whatever they want about RAID, and when you test it yourself, we'll see what you come up with. I hope you're pleasantly suprised with the new performance you'll soon have. :)
 
tuskenraider said:
Some results are suprising, but nothing much complicated about running a stopwatch opening programs and whatnot. I still consider storagereview a reference site when it comes to single drives, but they really don't my admiration when it comes to RAID. They and Anandtech can't print whatever they want about RAID, and when you test it yourself, we'll see what you come up with. I hope you're pleasantly suprised with the new performance you'll soon have. :)
I have run some benchmarks and would say that the "performance increase" is very modest.
 
Ghosted my setup and re-setup my array using a 16k stripe instead of 64k. Here are the new screens from Hd Tach.

8mb test:
raid0raptors16k.png


32mb test:
raid0raptors16k2.png


Previously (with 64k stripe):
raid0raptors.png
 
Ok, which drive will be better for my system drive? (I need to know which you guys would consider to be the best performance/price ratio)

the 74gb 8mb cache raptor which I can get for 129.98 or the 150gb 16mb cache raptor-x which is 349.99. (purchased through my work from compusa, corp discount will drop the price slightly on both drives).

This drive will be replacing my 2 36gb raptors in raid0 (purchased when they first came out).
 
kenham40 said:
Ok, which drive will be better for my system drive? (I need to know which you guys would consider to be the best performance/price ratio)

the 74gb 8mb cache raptor which I can get for 129.98 or the 150gb 16mb cache raptor-x which is 349.99. (purchased through my work from compusa, corp discount will drop the price slightly on both drives).

This drive will be replacing my 2 36gb raptors in raid0 (purchased when they first came out).
between those two, the Raptor X will be faster
http://www.storagereview.com/php/be...&numDrives=1&devID_0=311&devID_1=306&devCnt=2

the WD740ADFD would be my choice - just as fast as the Raptor X, but half the size and only $152 at ZZF
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101222-1
 
kenham40 said:
Do you think the 8mb 74gb would give me a performance upgrade over my current 2x36gb raid0 raptors? 129.98 seems like a good price.
yes, but you'd get a similiar increase going from it up to the 16mb version I linked
for only $20 more, you'd almost be stupid not to
 
EnderW said:
yes, but you'd get a similiar increase going from it up to the 16mb version I linked
for only $20 more, you'd almost be stupid not to

Ok, what about this. What if I added 2 more 36gb raptors to my raid0 array, making it a 4 drive raid array. From what I was reading, the more drives you put in the array, the faster performance you get. I am not worried about losing data, I keep my data on a seperate drive and I ghost my OS drive once every 2 weeks. I can get 2x36gb raptors for ~100.

I have this controller:

SIIG 4-CH SATA RAID RoHS
SIIG:
FRYS.com #: 4968871

* Supports RAID 0 (stripping), RAID 1(mirroring) and RAID 0+1 (striping & mirroring) for performance and reliability
* Thin, flexible Serial ATA cables make it easier to route inside a PC
* Breaks the 137GB barrier! Supports various brands of large capacity Serial ATA hard drives
 
kenham40 said:
Ok, what about this. What if I added 2 more 36gb raptors to my raid0 array, making it a 4 drive raid array. From what I was reading, the more drives you put in the array, the faster performance you get. I am not worried about losing data, I keep my data on a seperate drive and I ghost my OS drive once every 2 weeks. I can get 2x36gb raptors for ~100.

I have this controller:

SIIG 4-CH SATA RAID RoHS
SIIG:
FRYS.com #: 4968871

* Supports RAID 0 (stripping), RAID 1(mirroring) and RAID 0+1 (striping & mirroring) for performance and reliability
* Thin, flexible Serial ATA cables make it easier to route inside a PC
* Breaks the 137GB barrier! Supports various brands of large capacity Serial ATA hard drives
why do you think this would be any faster than a 2 drive RAID 0?
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030108517&postcount=13

you asked a question, and I answered, stop coming up with stupid "what ifs"
 
Back
Top