Fastest Book Scanner Ever

Someone at Google just jizzed in their pants but is probably also pissed they didn't have this a few years ago.

Having to tear apart books to run them through a adf scanner and then having to rebind them is a pain in teh ass.

Laying the books down on the glass to scan them one page at a time is even more of a pain in the ass.

This is a godsend if itl be cheap and not take up as much space as that behemoth of a machine does.

sounds nice in theory but how easily can you flip through most books?

sounds nice in theory but how easily can you flip through most books?

someone will probably come up with a couple of more uses for this. as he said it's just a prototype so quality will improve and show *one* for it.

I guess now they'll have to implement ARM (Analog Rights Management) for books. I have two ideas for how this might work:

1. Make the text barely legible so that the camera can't scan it. Of course this will also make the books very hard to read for those who own a legit copy, but who cares about them? Also, someone will figure out a way to scan the text anyway and produce a copy that is actually easier to read than the original.

2. Make text that erases itself after it has been read once. If someone who bought a legit copy wants to read it a second time, he can mail in (via snail mail of course) a request for a new copy, which will arrive in 2-3 weeks. You are entitled three such copies before you have to buy the book again.

LOL I was actually thinking "this is old news! I saw this in short circuit many years ago".... And then I checked the link...

short circuit was awesome, besides the steve gootenberg part.

i dont really see the technology advancement here. i think the scanners/cameras that the food industry uses to pick out bad bits of product with high speed cameras and compressed air is far more amazing...

We need about a thousand of these and as many interns to tackle the Library of Congress. It might only take them about ten years but, think of it, we could get rid of wiki and all the other wannabes.

Ok so this thing scans at 500FPS, apparently can make a curved page flat and re-map everything that was on here (heavy cpu power) but I still can't get Crysis to run at a decent frame rate!!!!!!

(didn't see that one coming did ya! :D)

the possibilities are endless.

Every document I own is digitally copied for my convenience. The price I paid scanning each document, even with my printer's feeder ability, was still a PITA.

Nice! I scan books in using a book stand and my digital camera. After I have photographed every page I take it back to my PC and use Photoshop to cut the pages out and fix any borders. Then use pdf creator to put the pages together.

I think I saw this a year ago. Seemed like he improved it a little bit more.

Back