Fastest all XP networking

I used to be in IT back in the late 90's but have since changed careers leaving me with a lot of frustration understanding todays networks. Enough with my background, I'm pretty well versed in small networks and here's my problem (more like an issue); I want to take a group of XP computers connected to a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT and have them communicate with file sharing and print sharing at the absolute fastest speed. There will be no other OS's on this network. What TCP/IP settings should I use to get the network neighborhood to browse quickly? Same with the shared printers.
The tabs under "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties"... Advanced... that have me confused the most are DNS and WINS. For a small network should I use the routers new firmware to make the router into a DNS server or should I use the LMHost? What about netbios etc. All of these settings left at default seem to really slow down browsing networks.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Forget about the WRT and 10/100 and get a gigabit switch and gigabit NICs where you need them if you're serious about this.

Then, given decent hardware and configuration, you can reasonably expect to see around 3x faster than you could get with 100 Mb/s -- around 30 MB/s Windows file transfers. XP has some issues with its Windows file transfer performance. It can be tweaked up somewhat, but you can't get it to perform as well as Vista to Vista. Using a third-party FTP server (e.g. FileZilla) can help with large file transfers, as it doesn't have the same limitations.

Forget about the WRT and 10/100 and get a gigabit switch and gigabit NICs where you need them if you're serious about this.

Then, given decent hardware and configuration, you can reasonably expect to see around 3x faster than you could get with 100 Mb/s -- around 30 MB/s Windows file transfers. XP has some issues with its Windows file transfer performance. It can be tweaked up somewhat, but you can't get it to perform as well as Vista to Vista. Using a third-party FTP server (e.g. FileZilla) can help with large file transfers, as it doesn't have the same limitations.

QFT

Enable netbios of TCP/IP, default setting doesn't always kick in correctly.

Depending on the history of the computers, and various conditions they're in...may have to watch event viewers, and manually force which PC is the "browsemaster", and shut it off on the other pcs. They're supposed to auto negotiate this..but again, doesn't always kick in correctly.

Also depending on history of computers, conditions they're in..may just want to do this on all of them before setting it up....only takes a few seconds per PC.
http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/WinSock_XP_Fix/winsockxpfix.html

Allow the exception for file 'n print sharing in the XP firewall, you should be good to go.

This browse master is new news to me. Who knew (bad joke). Apparently I have to look into it further before I post such a generic question. I pride myself in my ability to research yet with windows networking I was hoping there would be some simple answers. Apparently not.
I need to look into netbios and how xp handles it, then lmhost files, wins servers, built in xp file transfer limitations (why I already have the ftp service installed and running), and then look into all of the routers settings for DNS crap.
I'm afraid my words weren't specific enough. My initial problem isn't file transfer speeds, it's infact latency issues. I want my network to be snappy for the same reason why nobody likes their operating system to be run directly from CD/DVD!
I have a gigabit switch, an ftp server, and a few more goodies that will be implemented as soon as I can tweak this network to be the absolute snappiest it can be. I want to browser the network neighborhood and have the computers pop up as fast as any other drive.
Speed is no problem, it's the latency that's got me going crazy. Is it just me or can other people feel the latency with wireless networks. It just feels different and I've compared them back to back by just switching metric values... wireless G ain't all that great.
BTW, the network looks like this; 4 32-bit XP pro desktops, 2 of which have MFC's shared, and 2 wireless XP laptops that aren't always wireless (large file transfers).
Can I disable netbios? Is there something I can enable or disable in the DD-WRT default settings that will speed things up?
I'll be doing a lot of my own research so don't think I'm just looking to get answers. I'd like to learn this one into my brain so I can help others setup home networks like mine... for speed and not for easy of installation.
Side note to all web page developers; Web 3.0 had better have the ability to ask a 1st time visitor if he/she is an advanced computer user or a noob. I can't stand browsing company sites for very technical questions when the FAQ is full of "did you turn it on?" answers. EEERRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH feel my frustrations?

I need to look into netbios and how xp handles it, then lmhost files, wins servers, built in xp file transfer limitations (why I already have the ftp service installed and running), and then look into all of the routers settings for DNS crap.

For smaller peer to peer networks, you don't need lmhost/host files. WINS is really for legac clients, if you have Win9X, etc. 2K and above rely on DNS..such as your domain controller. When workstations are on a domain, the DC is the browser master automatically. (although some clients can remain confused and try to remain one...you'll see that in event viewer when they keep trying to elect themselves)

For smaller peer to peer networks, you don't need lmhost/host files. WINS is really for legac clients, if you have Win9X, etc. 2K and above rely on DNS..such as your domain controller. When workstations are on a domain, the DC is the browser master automatically. (although some clients can remain confused and try to remain one...you'll see that in event viewer when they keep trying to elect themselves)
Thank you for that simplification but I have a couple questions regarding my proposed network. 1st, is a domain a better network solution than workgroup in my scenario? I've always used domains in big networks so I'm no stranger and I've never had much trouble with them except for the whole log-in annoyances. Workgroups have been my only home network solution but you might make me reconsider if I can get XP to auto-log into a domain. That's got to be possible and I'll answer that question with my own research.
As for DNS, should I use the routers DNSMasq feature for the DHCP and DNS? If so, when setting the client tcp/ip settings what should I put in the DNS field... the routers gateway ip or the DNS servers that are given to the router by my ISP? It's like a nasty little chain of pointing fingers and a bad game of telephone, lol. Networking IT deserve their money and should really thank Microsoft for ensuring their job security!

If you dont need anything out of the ordinary, use the modem/router for DNS
ie use the routers IP as the DNS server if configuring manually
Inside the router you may be able to leave DNS on automatic (connect to your ISPs DNS) or you can point it to any DNS server you wish including those of your ISP.

Wireless networks do have longer latency sadly. Encryption doesnt help but you musnt run without it.
I can see why you want to optimise connection times as much as poss.

With a small network, it might be fine to run as a workgroup if you have a non complex setup.
If you require a central place to control passwords and basic network permissions then an Authentication Server (Any Windows NT Server OS) will do that.
If you require further control over network resources and a more streamlined way of administration then a Windows 2000, XP (Server 2003) or Vista Active Directory Server should fit your needs but is surely overkill.

From what I can tell, for you a Workgroup Network should be fine. There will be no need for WINS and DNS can run from the router.
I wouldnt use DHCP from a wireless router though as its not a good idea to broadcast the IP range your network sits on, if you run a private network and want to keep it that way.

Back