• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fastest AGP Card

Joined
Apr 24, 2001
Messages
578
Well, You see I've got the AGP platform (And a fairly expensive one at that) in my rig and I'm looking for a video card to up the ante a little bit. Mainly so I can be ready when AOE3 comes out. Is the X850XT still the fastest AGP card? Any word on the 7800 series possibly coming to AGP? I'd like to get a little bit more life out of this setup before I have to scrap the motherboard and the CPU and move onto something newer if possible.
 
There is no way all the video card manufacturers are going to totally abandon AGP over night. I'm sure it won't be too long before one of nvidia's resellers converts the 7800 PCI-e into AGP.

Why wait just get the x850xt. :D

i have a 6800GT AGP and I don't expect I will need anything better during the next year. unless I get the itch... :p
 
You guys really think theres a shot at the next ATI Core and the 7800 series coming to AGP? Man that'd be sweet. I dont think I have much for bottlenecks on this system other then the video card. I ran a little over 2600 in 3dmark 05 without any OCing. Pretty sure my CPU and ram are still pretty good in terms of performance. The only reason I'm really thinkin about upgrading is because when I ran the FEAR Demo I played mostly at like 15-20fps max. If there was a big firefight it was less then that. And AOE3 is looking very, very, very, graphic intensive. I just want to be able to have the full graphics experience without the lag. Does the X850XTPE support HDR? Because thats another thing...I'd like to play the new HL2 levels when they come out also.
 
gridiron123 said:
You guys really think theres a shot at the next ATI Core and the 7800 series coming to AGP? Man that'd be sweet. I dont think I have much for bottlenecks on this system other then the video card. I ran a little over 2600 in 3dmark 05 without any OCing. Pretty sure my CPU and ram are still pretty good in terms of performance. The only reason I'm really thinkin about upgrading is because when I ran the FEAR Demo I played mostly at like 15-20fps max. If there was a big firefight it was less then that. And AOE3 is looking very, very, very, graphic intensive. I just want to be able to have the full graphics experience without the lag. Does the X850XTPE support HDR? Because thats another thing...I'd like to play the new HL2 levels when they come out also.

That FEAR demo runs pretty slow on anything except 7800GTX SLI:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/fear_beta_performance/page9.asp

I think a lot of people who enjoy FEAR will upgrade. Why?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/fear_beta_performance/page4.asp

Because 44fps at 12X9 0X0X on a X850XT PE is not that good.
 
There is a single CPU socket S940 motherboard that's SLi compatible. I would simply upgrade to that and go PCI-Express. Then get a 7800GTX. You can use your existing ram and CPU.
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
more like the ultra hard to find edition

If FEAR is his main concern, a plain 6800U would be far better than a X850XT PE anyway.
 
Well FEAR isn't my ONLY concern, but it is one of them. My main point is, the graphic intensity in software is growing rapidly. A year and a half ago or so all the hardware had surpassed the software. Now its going back the other way again, the software is getting ahead most of the hardware.

I dont know, it doesn't look like AGP is going anywheres. I guess I need to just bite the bullet and shell out the extra money for a new mobo and a PCIe video card.
 
the fear demo has a lot of bugs and the proper game will run a lot quicker...the source is form a magazine in the UK
 
the fastest agp card that the world have seen is the powercolor radeon x850 xt pe is the top of the line in agp cards
 
Man I saw about a 70% boost in framerates and 3dmark 05 scores just by switching from a 9800 pro to a 6800 gt. So if an x850xt is even faster than that I'm confident you will be very pleased with the results, especially with a stronger cpu like that.
 
and about fear i have a 6800gt oc to 415/1150 and fear runs like dream in full graphica mode in max with soft shadows on 1280*1024 and the fps was 44 6xaa 16xaf with now slow downs in the fps and fear has a problem with the gamers that have 1gb
 
6x AA?

soft shadows?

6800GT?

44fps?

smells fishy unless 44fps is you highest and your average is 20.
 
ati has the fastest agp card.

of course

the nvidia card isnt that far behind and supports more features.

so really its a questions of Features vs speed.

whats more important to you?

if your plannning on using this card for quite a while then id go w/ the 6800 as its more future proof.

if your planning on using the ati for under a year then maybe go w/ it.

personally im a 6800 man.
 
Back
Top