fastest 19" out there?

Cuthrick

Weaksauce
I'm looking to upgrade my Planar PL2010 20" LCD to a 19" with a much faster refresh for gaming.

The monitors I'm looking at are as follows: Samsung 930BF, BenQ FP93GX , ViewSonic VX924, ViewSonic VX922

If I just go by numbers then the BenQ has the highest contrast ratio and fastest gray-to-gray response time. But I've never used a BenQ and not sure of the quality. The ViewSonic vx922 has the same refresh time but the contrast ratio is 650:1. I've used many ViewSonic LCDs and am not concerned with their quality so I'm leaning toward picking up two vx922.

Are there any other fast LCDs on the market right now?

i just got my VX922 this week (first lcd) and it's just awesome. best display i have ever owned :) .

mlapgw said:
I've been waiting on those same two monitors to be available. I found it here. I called them and they said the ETA is 01/16. The price isn't bad. Look! You save 66 cents.

http://www.techonweb.com/products/productdetail.aspx?id=C40933

Nice find! Well I guess i can wait a few more days. I read an article on www.behardware.com and they claim if your monitor isn't HDCP compliant you can't watch HD-DVD's... This is crazy.

Behardware HDCP link

techronin, can you take a few pics..?? How is the image quality is it good for gaming?

I got my VX922s in today and holy crap these are amazing monitors. Totally blow my Planar away. They were smoking crack when they selected the default color and brightness. I have to hook up my colorimeter yet but it's obviously waaaaaaaaay off. These should keep me happy for a while.

2xVX922.jpg

Shottah_king said:
How is the text quality? How do games perform? Can you give a quick run down..

I've been using LCDs for years. Two NEC 17s, Planar PL2010M, Apple 20" Cinema Display, the list goes on and these VX922s kick the poop out of them. Point is, I'm comparing these LCDs to LCDs being that it's been a long time since I've used a CRT. First thing I did after getting them set up was play some CS:S and DoD. The Refresh is amazing! Yes there is some extremely mild ghosting but it's almost a mute point to be honest. Text is very crisp, easy to read. The backlight does bleed through a bit and that's probably the only thing that bothers me with the monitors.

Oh and no dead pixels!

BTW, I picked up on from newegg and the other from zipzoomfly and both shipped the monitors in the factory packaging. These puppies on your doorstep will be screaming steal me!

Too bad LCD makers seem hellbent on sticking with this crappy nonstandard 5:4 1280x1024 resolution.

h0tk4rl said:
I've been using LCDs for years. Two NEC 17s, Planar PL2010M, Apple 20" Cinema Display, the list goes on and these VX922s kick the poop out of them. Point is, I'm comparing these LCDs to LCDs being that it's been a long time since I've used a CRT. First thing I did after getting them set up was play some CS:S and DoD. The Refresh is amazing! Yes there is some extremely mild ghosting but it's almost a mute point to be honest. Text is very crisp, easy to read. The backlight does bleed through a bit and that's probably the only thing that bothers me with the monitors.

Oh and no dead pixels!

BTW, I picked up on from newegg and the other from zipzoomfly and both shipped the monitors in the factory packaging. These puppies on your doorstep will be screaming steal me!

do you think of any lcd that the 922 would be the best for having minimal ghosting?

if so, do you think one should get the 922 or wait for a newer monitor in order to have less ghosting or none at all for that matter?

Keep in mind the VX922 uses a 6bit panel so its not showing the full 16.7 million colors without banding / dithering , I guess thats one of the tradeoffs for its lower response time...

"6-bit TN panel LCDs can truly only produce 262,144 colors ((2^6)^3). Thus they must implement a dithering or frame rate control technique to simulate up to 16.2 million colors. These techniques still don't reproduce colors as good as 8-bit panels. 8-bit PVA and IPS panel LCDs can truly produce 16,777,216 (16.7 million) colors ((2^8)^3)."

mathesar said:
Keep in mind the VX922 uses a 6bit panel so its not showing the full 16.7 million colors without banding / dithering , I guess thats one of the tradeoffs for its lower response time...

"6-bit TN panel LCDs can truly only produce 262,144 colors ((2^6)^3). Thus they must implement a dithering or frame rate control technique to simulate up to 16.2 million colors. These techniques still don't reproduce colors as good as 8-bit panels. 8-bit PVA and IPS panel LCDs can truly produce 16,777,216 (16.7 million) colors ((2^8)^3)."

personally i'd rather trade this off for faster refresh rates..

but another factor for me is the fact i'm on a CHEAPPP Logisys 17" (15.5 viewable) crt .. so there's no way ANYTHING wouldn't look like an improvement.

mathesar said:

I'd trade that off because the differences are still very questionable.

If you have to buy now then the 922 is IMO the best out there even with the tradeoffs. Like with anything, wait a few more months and they'll have something totally new that will blow these away. Major selling point for me was the low price. I paid almost $700 for my planar new and picked up two 922s for about $800.

As for it being 6-bit vs 8-bit, that is certainly something I can live with to have a 2ms refresh.

Has anyone compared the VX922 to the Samsung 940b? I hear great things about that samsung...

Back