Fastes hard drive configurations <$300? raid?

Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
26
I just upgraded and my specs are as follows:

Core 2 Duo E6600/Scythe Ninja Heatsink
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Patriot 2GB (2 X 1GB) 800MHz DDR2
XFX Geforce 7600GS 256MB
74GB Raptor
Antec Trupepower 430W
BenQ 1640

I don't play any games so my video card is great for me but my hard drive is my bottleneck. Should I buy another Raptor and raid them or would there be a better solution for me <$300?
 
What *do* you do? Well, other than "not games". Photoshop? Compressing video? Web browsing and email? Watch movies? Expand on your goals with this machine.

Is that a 740GD or a 740ADFD that you have already?
 
unhappy_mage said:
What *do* you do? Well, other than "not games". Photoshop? Compressing video? Web browsing and email? Watch movies? Expand on your goals with this machine.

Is that a 740GD or a 740ADFD that you have already?
Yes I do all of which you named. It is the 740GD with only 8mb cache. I was thinking either grab the 740ADFD or 2x16MB 250GB WD or Seagate SATA-II in raid 0.
 
For Photoshop, a 2nd fast drive with the scratch file on it would be best.

For capturing video two drives in RAID 0 would be best.

For web browsing and email, it really doesn't matter, a single drive is fine.

For watching videos, a 2nd large cheap drive is best.
 
Back
Top