faster USB interface method

I'm going to RAID 0 (stripe) two 200GB UDMA drives, mounted one each in two external USB 2.0 enclosures. Going to put my ripped CDs on it for my HTPC system, possibly also DVDs.

Because I have so many USB devices that will be hooked to this system, I have to use a PCI USB card, since my MB only has 2 USB ports on the rear.

My question: is it best to hook the two drives to the on-board USB, which uses the southbridge directly, or hook the two drives to the PCI USB card, which puts the PCI bus inbetween the USB and the southbridge?

Mainly I'm wondering if the PCI USB card would do it's own handling of the USB processes, thereby unloading if from the southbridge, which has it's own load to handle (like sound, com ports, etc.).

sound is processed by the audio codec chip (i think) and your com ports don't get as much of a workout as they used to, before usb.

just hook 'em up to the mobo. it's fast, it's easy, and it'll do the job quick.

Thanks for the quick answer.

The second half of the question: I use a USB keyboard and mouse. If I hook the drives to the mobo USB ports, the keyboard and mouse will have to be on the PCI USB card.

The PCI USB card isn't active until XP loads its' drivers, so will XP load those drivers before it tosses a fit because it hasn't found the keyboard and mouse, like it will if it was a disconnected PS2 mouse or keyboard?

I know I could experiment all this out myself, but after as much trouuble I've put into this thing (see my MN31/N posts earlier), I just want to hook it up and have it come up so well first time it gives me an instant woody. I'm not going to touch it again until FedEx delivers the external drive enclosures from NewEgg this coming Monday.

here is what i would suggest:

(1) add more usb ports to your case. you can do this by getting a c3 usb port kit from frozencpu.com and fitting it to the comp. you have to pay through the bloody arse but it works-- and it's the only place that i know of (not that i've done much research, mind you) that you can get 'em.

(2) put the mouse and keyboard on the built-in ports.

(3) put the new hdd's on the new usb ports that you just put in.

Back