Faster Quadcore vs Slower Dual Socket quad core

Cheetoz

[H]ard|Gawd
So in order to conserve electricity, I will virtualize my computer for my desktop and server. Now for this, would it better to buy the Q6700 (3.2ghz) and have 2 cores for me, two cores for the server. Or get the Clovertown, one 2ghz quad CPU for desktop, and one CPU for server?

Don't know if with multi-threading apps coming out, would it take advantage of higher clock or more cores?

thanks.

How much load does the server take? If it sits idle most of the time then it wont matter. If it sometimes spends log lengths of time using tons of processing power then it might need its own.

My server which is just for my house only runs a sempron 3000+ and 512 ram lol hardly even gets out of CNQ idle mode.

If you are planning on virtualizing with the free VMWare server, you can only use 2 cpu's (cores) per system.

Could you specify what you are planning to do on your desktop? (gaming, browsing, rendering etc.)
Could you specify the tasks your server is/will be performing? (file/print server, streaming media, webserver etc.)

You need to take into account that the other resources of the system will be shared as well (memory, HDD reading/writing, etc). This is another key factor.

Back