faster nvidia cards!? what for? we already got ati x850s! true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tripp17 said:
I can solve all this i guess......Here is my system:

AMD FX-55 @ 3.0 w/ XP-120
2X512 OCZ Platinum Rev.2 @ 550 1T
DFI Ultra-D @ 275 fsb
X850XT @ 550/1150
Ect, ect,........

Now, to the point of all this.....i have had BOTH top of the line cards. I recently sold my 6800GT that i flashed to 425/1150. And now i have the ATI X850 XT overclocked to 550/1150. Now, having both cards, with the same set-up, playing the same games, i can now say with confadence that ATI is the better card at the moment period. It plays my games faster, with better picture quality, at higher settings. The ONLY game that Nvidia is better at is.....you guessed it, Doom3. And personally, i didnt like it at all. Not bad, i just didnt like it. ATI gets better scores, uses less CPU in games, and beats Nvidia at every other game. And i have ALOT of games, new and old. I also want to say that i feel that ATI is now the better choice for OpenGL as well. It just plays the games better, better picture, faster, and im able to use higher levels of AA and AF. I also want to say that ATI has WAY BETTER drivers, they are all WHQL certified and come out once a month. Nvidia on the other hand has very few WHQL and you have to be a "beta whore" to get anywhere....not the way i wanna go, its the main reason i switched. I HATE nvidia drivers. As for performance, they are very close, and the 6800GT is a great card because anyone can overclock it to past Ultra specs and save the money. Note that the 6800GT i had was a PCIe card. Well, thats my 2 cents and i know someones gonna get pissy over it, but its how i feel. Long live the king!!
you just compared nvidias card which is 3rd from there best to ati's 2nd best which is also a refresh. the 6800gt was ment to compete with the x800pro and well it rapes it

one thing you need to keep in mind is the maximum refresh rate of the monitor. If your card can play a certain game at 150-200 FPS unless your refresh rate approaches those numbers then most of those frames would not have a chance to be displayed. when picking a video card I base things on price and hardware features, because if I get a geforce 68xx series, I know that most, if not all my games will be played at a high quality setting and a high framerate. I run my LCD (via DVI) @ ~70-75Hz and while playing UT2004 I easily stay at around 84-75 FPS. why spend more of your money on an ultra or a gt to play the same game at a higher framerate and the same quality settings when your monitor cannot display those extra frames?

please don't flame me, I was just sending out my opinion..... :(

x1600c said:
one thing you need to keep in mind is the maximum refresh rate of the monitor. If your card can play a certain game at 150-200 FPS unless your refresh rate approaches those numbers then most of those frames would not have a chance to be displayed. when picking a video card I base things on price and hardware features, because if I get a geforce 68xx series, I know that most, if not all my games will be played at a high quality setting and a high framerate. I run my LCD (via DVI) @ ~70-75Hz and while playing UT2004 I easily stay at around 84-75 FPS. why spend more of your money on an ultra or a gt to play the same game at a higher framerate and the same quality settings when your monitor cannot display those extra frames?

please don't flame me, I was just sending out my opinion..... :(
so when new games come out your not chugging along at 30fps....while them 200fps cards are still hitting 100

Ballz2TheWallz, I hope you did read that the guy had his 6800GT overclocked past Ultra speeds when comparing.

I personally like ATi card's better thatn Nvidia, mainly for driver reasons. I hate the NV drivers, a bitch to go through when you've never used them before, everything is craply named and its just down right annoying that the documents on their site are all in PDFs which are also a bitch to go through.

I'll be sticking with my 9800 Pro now that's hitting close 2 years old untill the end of this year. I like to get the most use out of my card and I hardly ever go above 1024x768 when gaming anyway. Add a bit of AA/AF to that and I'm a happy guy for hours of gaming.

Neither generation of cards offer anything to me really. I'll never use there speed right now, and they dont have any new features that are amazing at all really. I could care less about PS3.0, or anything like that right now, either from ATi or NV.

I'm personally on track to still buy a ATi card come the end of this year. Just better personal experience with the companies. The one time I had to RMA the 9800 Pro back to ATi they got it to me nice and quick, I rely on personal experience and not what I read on the web.

Flame me all you want, I'm going on personal experience with the companies. I dont see anything wrong with liking one brand over another, there usually is a reason for this you know.

The ATI cards are not an order of magnitude above the Nvidia cards. SLI was done first by 3dfx, and Nvidia revived the trend first, and ATI is following suit, so you could say they're following Nvidia's lead.They can't offer IQ thats as close to reference models as Nvidia does. They don't offer DX 9.0c compatibility yet. For a few FPS more people are saying that the X850XT destroys a 6800U. I hardly think 15 or so FPS destroys anything. Every game is playable in my 6800nu 12X6 on 1600x1200 2xAA 2xAF TRILINEAR FORCED ON(try that on any ATI card;)). Doom 3 Ultra quality, UT2K4 max settings, and all the old stuff runs well too. If people have to hit their VSYNC all the time to think they're getting good IQ then thats their misinformed way of thinking, but to me, Nvidia is like IBM or AMD currently are, doing more with less MHz, and packing lots of features onto their cores, where as ATI is like Intel at the moment, stagnating, releasing higher and higher clock speed chips to offset the effeciency and architectural superiority of its rivals. As for the ATI driver controls, I've used Nvidia for ages, and when I built my second machine I didn't need it to be terribly fast, but I picked up a 9800pro for $200. Its fast, but the drivers do indeed suck. Its not that they're not stable, its that they treat the user as if they're a moron who can't figure anything out for themselves. Nvidia's control pannel has been the same since I can remember, with only new features being added. Its simply laid out and it allows you to change one thing and leave others alone. If you set that horrid AI thing on in the CCP which is an absolute waste of time gimmick piece of shit software, it just reduces IQ to get better frame rates. ATI has been caught doing trickey in the drivers to get better frame rates, and their response was that if customers could notice, they'd change it. Here's an excerpt from an interview on ATI's site

"TheRock
Will full trilinear filtering be allowed to be set in the drivers?

Andy/Raja
We try to keep the control panel as simple as possible (even as its complexity increases), and if the image quality is identical or better there doesn't seem to be a need to turn it off. However, if our users request otherwise and can demonstrate that it's worthwhile, we would consider adding an option to the control panel."

We think users are dumb and won't care is more like it to me. If our users demonstrate its worthwhile??? Give the users what they want or they won't buy your products dumbass.

You can't force true trilinear on ATI as of the last time I updated that catalyst bullshit, so its not really a fair comparison. You could use trilinear optimizations allowed on Nvidia and standard settings on ATI forcing quality maybe.

Moloch said:
QFT
15 fps is destroying.
If it wasn't, everyone wouln't tell you to get nvidia cards for doom 3:LOL:

QFT (fucking acronyms i swear, no one actually uses real words anymore)
15fps with equal IQ settings maybe, but not 15fps with optical trickery on.

Btw, this topic could be quiet educational for people with lesser knowledge.
looking%20around2.gif

As long as people who participate in the discussion stay civil to each other.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
You can't force true trilinear on ATI as of the last time I updated that catalyst bullshit, so its not really a fair comparison. You could use trilinear optimizations allowed on Nvidia and standard settings on ATI forcing quality maybe.

Actually there is a way to hack it and manually disable the optimizations. I think it was a german site that i saw it done and ATI got raped by nVidia when they were both doing full trilinear filtering.

ATI does a pretty good job of hideing the effect from optimizations so i think its alright that they do it as long as it doesn't noticeable effect IQ. ATI should allow the option to actually run full trilinear mode though in the drivers and it ought to be FULL trilinear and not some halfassed setting that doesn't disable ALL of the optimizations.

I think ATI is afraid that if they do this then reviewers will start benching in full trilinear mode and showing results vs nVidia that may or may not be very pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back