Faster 3Mbps Verizon DSL $29.95

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
Verizon DSL has DSL for $29.95 a month, with first month free, 1 yr commitment.

Faster! Now up to 3Mbps/768Kbps for qualified lines.

Service within CA, DC, HI, FL, IN, MA, MD, ME, NY, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, WI, WV

Link

I would go for it if they did'nt force me to have local phone service from them.

Anyone know if you can cancel your current Verizon DSL service then sign back up to get the 3mb down? :confused:

i'm getting rid of my verizon dsl cause they group u into their network which makes hard to host servers or terminal service into your machines :(

I have this deal almost a month ago and i am getting 3.5MB/s Down and 868kb/s up.

stryder2720 said:
Anyone know if you can cancel your current Verizon DSL service then sign back up to get the 3mb down? :confused:
I just got an e-mail from Verizon asking me to upgrade to 1.5/384 from my current 768/128 for $8 month cheaper than I pay now, so I don't think you need to cancel or anything like that.

How would I check my availability if I don't have a regular phone line? I've been using only my cell for almost a year now.

This sounds like a great deal, especially since my Comcast intial 29.95 is just up. :)

stryder2720 said:
Just give Verizon DSL customer support a call -- I got my service upgraded immediately and activated within three days without any change in price. Already had one of their bundle plans though, and yes, your line has to "qualify" for the higher data rates.

My service jumped from 768Kbps/128Kbps to 3Mbps/768Kbps!

Download feel more like the old Comcast cable days :D

Wait, what's this about not being able to host a server off your own machine? Verizon*** actually prevents you from doing that?!

-J.

dsl
rolleyes.gif

I meant Verizon DSL, not DSL... :p

DSL is pretty good for gaming though. Not the best pings but the best consistency.

-J.

pretty good deal. Verizon is tearing up our neighborhood right now and installing fiber cables.... they're going to have 15mbs down and 2mbs/up for $49.99 within the next month. Thats 5 times the speed of the comcast we have now for the same price. Can't wait :D .

As they should, in most Asian countries they are getting internet spds much faster than what we have here. People can get fiber optic direct to their house at a much cheaper price than what we pay. :rolleyes:

GeForceX said:
Wait, what's this about not being able to host a server off your own machine? Verizon*** actually prevents you from doing that?!

-J.

Pretty hard to find any ISP offering you home service that actually allows you to run a server. Every TOS I've ever read is pretty clear about that in fact.

My big objection to verizon in general is that if they don't like your web site they seem to lose it. Their explaination is, "it's free, you didn't lose anything."

yeah I've noticed that gamers on cable can have really low pings (10-30) but they still appear to be extremely laggy, aggrivating. on my 3mb/1mb DSL I can get anywhere from 20-100 depending on the game (Frontier)

Well I called them up for the offer being thats what I pay now and was told I dont qualify. Guess I will have to live it 1.5/384. :(

If you have Verizon DSL, like I do, you'll have around 45 ms latency on average, and about 25-30 ms on the first hop.. Call them up, immediately ask to speak to a supervisor (as a level one tech doesn't know) and ask them to change your data path from interleaved to fast path. My pings are about 9-10 on average on a west cs server. Getting 2.8mbps down & about 730 up. Just verify that your line/modem stats are good before switching.

BillR said:
Pretty hard to find any ISP offering you home service that actually allows you to run a server. Every TOS I've ever read is pretty clear about that in fact.

My big objection to verizon in general is that if they don't like your web site they seem to lose it. Their explaination is, "it's free, you didn't lose anything."

Funny, I ran an FTP and web server on my computer when I had cable (3mb/256kb). I would typically download over 4 gb of stuff everyday and host a FTP server and put up a temp web server so it can access my ftp via html, I wasn't stopped at all. But to hear about DSL blocking this...

I haven't even set my server up yet...

-J.

RandysWay said:
If you have Verizon DSL, like I do, you'll have around 45 ms latency on average, and about 25-30 ms on the first hop.. Call them up, immediately ask to speak to a supervisor (as a level one tech doesn't know) and ask them to change your data path from interleaved to fast path. My pings are about 9-10 on average on a west cs server. Getting 2.8mbps down & about 730 up. Just verify that your line/modem stats are good before switching.

Hummm, depends where you live. It comes down to three areas: City, Towns, Rural. Which one are you? I'm in a town and am getting 1.5 MB limit. Cities generally get 3 MB and above, even 4 or 6 for the same flat rate of $30 a month. I might get 3.0 MB when the time comes.

The farms have no chance to getting anywhere near that. So I don't know if changing data paths is permissable for farms/towns. Hmmm! :p

I will call 'em up however. Thanks for the heads up.

-J.

Archer75 said:
I would go for it if they did'nt force me to have local phone service from them.

Good reads for any current Verizon DSL customer:

Some Verizon customers to get 'naked' DSL
April 18, 2005

http://news.com.com/Some+Verizon+customers+to+get+naked+DSL/2100-1034_3-5675733.html

Verizon Corrects 'Naked' DSL Reports
April 21, 2005

http://www.betanews.com/article/Verizon_Corrects_Naked_DSL_Reports/1114109765

The way a customer would accomplish this is by contacting a new voice provider (again, cable, VoIP or wireless) and request that their Verizon number be ported," the spokesperson explained to BetaNews. "At that point the wheel is in motion, we'd receive the port request from the new provider, we'd port the number and cancel the wireline voice service without the DSL having to be dropped."

I live right next to a verizon building [yay for me... i can climb over a wall and im in their parking lot] so i hope i qualify for this upgrade or ill be pretty pissed off. I love my dsl, even when it was 768kbps because i always had better ping and a more stable connection than all my friends with their cable connections from cox!

-Lawler

Lawler said:
I live right next to a verizon building [yay for me... i can climb over a wall and im in their parking lot] so i hope i qualify for this upgrade or ill be pretty pissed off. I love my dsl, even when it was 768kbps because i always had better ping and a more stable connection than all my friends with their cable connections from cox!

-Lawler
well i would hope so if u live next to the damn building

thats like saying you can see the ocean better from your beachside house than your friends can in a suburb 10 miles inland
rolleyes.gif

ryanrule said:
well i would hope so if u live next to the damn building

thats like saying you can see the ocean better from your beachside house than your friends can in a suburb 10 miles inland
rolleyes.gif

Don't laugh - we ordered 2x T1 lines for a 3MB IMA group. The Verizon building is a stones throw away from ours. They couldn't install the 2x T1 lines for us because of "facilities" issues - not enough pairs available for 2x T1s. Um yah... talk about a joke

Thanks a lot for the info guys. Im going to have my dad give them a call tomorrow as soon as possible :D
I live not 100yrds from the Verizon building so it should go pretty fast...connection speed that is.

Deftones290 said:
i'm still running my horrible 1MB/128K from verizon DSL..... its like $35 a month..

For all who do not know you can call verizon and get a free upgrade to 1.5M/384K if your speed is lower than that. I also think this speed is now the standard for basic DSL but for customers who had DSL before the change you have to call to get it. I had the same speed as you then I called a rep and bitched about my speed and asked if I could get a speed increase 1.5/384 which all my neighbors are getting for $29.99 and within a two days I got a boost. This is in NY but it may work for you.

poopypants said:
i'm getting rid of my verizon dsl cause they group u into their network which makes hard to host servers or terminal service into your machines :(

I can terminal into my PC just fine over verizon's network. Sounds like you just need to configure your router properly. :)

badasspenguin said:
I can terminal into my PC just fine over verizon's network. Sounds like you just need to configure your router properly. :)
badasspenguin i have tried configuring my router, but my dsl connection deals me an internal ip 192.128.xxx.xxx even after finding my external ip there is still no way to direct data sent to the external ip addr to my internal ip, unless i ask verizon to do it for me. either way $90 for dsl and a stupid land line phone is just ridiculous.

Back