Fast FPS Gaming Display help

xliv

n00b
I just put together a new machine, parts should be arriving tomorrow. Now for a new display. I'm thinking something in the 24" to 28" area that is reasonable. Cheaper the better but I don't want to sacrifice quality. $400 and under would be a huge plus, but I can go higher if I absolutely need to.

This is my machine:

CPU INTEL|CORE I7 920 2.66G 45N R
PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT
EVGA 121-BL-E756-TR X58 RT
2Gx3|GSK F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ R
SSD 80G|INTEL SSDSA2M080G2XXX OEM - OEM
Along with a:
XFX Radeon HD 5850

I've browsed and read up a bit on displays like: BenQ G2400WD / G2400WAD, ASUS VW266H, SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER P2570, Hanns·G HG-281DPB, KDS K-2626MDHWB. Which seem to be great and in great price ranges, but....

What do you guys suggest? I'm talking really great response time, I'm very big into FPS gaming, and fast paced games as well. Thanks for all the help/input in advance

The vw266h I ordered off Amazon just came in. I love it. Haven't tried Crysis on it yet because I've gotta go to work soon, but the backlight is almost un-noticeable, black levels are extremely good and the whites are even better. I'm extremely happy with it.

Thanks guys, would it be worth it to try and wait for one of the newer 120hz displays?

Any other suggestions? :)

120 Hz only really affects movies and such as theyre shot in the 24 fps rate.

Honestly if you can afford the extra price for the 120 Hz, get it. It cant hurt. But if youre trying to save some bucks, do without.

Thanks guys, would it be worth it to try and wait for one of the newer 120hz displays?

Any other suggestions? :)

There is only one LCD that can do 120Hz and that's a Samsung, I hear that just playing regular games is very fast when compared to an LCD with 60Hz - 85Hz!

The 120hz LCDS are the best for gaming though. And I could be wrong but I thought theres more than just samsung with 120hz.

If you want the opinion of more professional/competitive players, many use CRT's for gaming.... Why? Cause you want the max fps possible. Little tip for ya. :)

The 120hz LCDS are the best for gaming though. And I could be wrong but I thought theres more than just samsung with 120hz.

If you want the opinion of more professional/competitive players, many use CRT's for gaming.... Why? Cause you want the max fps possible. Little tip for ya. :)

Do you have any idea what CRTs do to your eyes? Forget it!

There are two 120Hz LCD monitors that take 120Hz from the video card - the Samsung 2233rz (the better of the two) and the Viewsonic VX2265wm/VX2268wm; both are 1680x1050 TN panel monitors. All 120Hz or 240Hz LCD TVs only do that internally; they take 60Hz or less from the video card. There are several 24" 120Hz 1920x1080 monitors that may be close to being released, but they have not actually appeared on the market yet; they will almost certainly be TN panels as well.

120hz and radeon's do not get on - there is a pretty high chance you'll have all sorts of trouble in 2d mode. I think the problem is the card clocks itself down too low in that mode and can't drive the monitor properly. Anyhow ati might fix it (although this problem isn't exactly new and they haven't rushed so far) and there's a chance your card might still work (some do) but I wouldn't risk it.

Really appreciate all of the help, I would really consider waiting for one of the newer 120hz displays but if they do have issues with ATI I don't think it would be worth the risk.

I've kind of narrowed it down to these, unless I've missed something, then please speak up! :)

ASUS VW246H
ASUS VW266H
Hanns·G HG-281DPB
SAMSUNG ToC T240HD
SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER P2570

So let me have it, for FPS gaming what should I go with? Have I missed any "key player" displays? Kinda leaning towards the ASUS VW266H or the Syncmaster P2570, but I really want to be sure. Obviously, seems like I'm leaning towards the slightly larger displays. Anyone have personal experience with any of these? The Hanns-G says it has a good response time but I've read some bad ghosting reviews on it. :(

Thanks again for everyone that has helped out

Oh I know, I used a 20" LCD for a long time and went back to my CRT for that very reason... but my computer wasn't anywhere near up to par like it is now. There are other ways to help your FPS in select games as well :)

Thanks for that review, and for everyone's help.

ASUS VW266H

Pretty sure I'll be buying this after lunch, unless I hear of another, or otherwise :) (plus it's $50 off right now)

Last edited:
Gateway FHD2400 is awesome for gaming, as long as you don't look at it from below, or updwards, but only head on, or downwards. Seriously, this probably the best monitor on the market right now, despite being a few years old. I've tried other options, including H-IPS. This is still better. If it didn't have the TN viewing angle issues, I'd never ever want a different monitor.

Gateway FHD2400 is awesome for gaming, as long as you don't look at it from below, or updwards, but only head on, or downwards. Seriously, this probably the best monitor on the market right now, despite being a few years old. I've tried other options, including H-IPS. This is still better. If it didn't have the TN viewing angle issues, I'd never ever want a different monitor.

I use that monitor, i think its terrible for FPS, my Nec 19" 4:3 LCD is much more responsive.

Only perks to that monitor is that it has lots of connection options. Otherwise it has really BAD backlight bleeding, and ghosting issues that aren't acceptable for FPS play especially if you have sensitive eyes.

Your best bet if your only concerned about fast paced FPS gaming is to get one of those 120hz monitors. Hands down. They suck for everything else tho.

I use that monitor, i think its terrible for FPS, my Nec 19" 4:3 LCD is much more responsive.

Only perks to that monitor is that it has lots of connection options. Otherwise it has really BAD backlight bleeding, and ghosting issues that aren't acceptable for FPS play especially if you have sensitive eyes.

Your best bet if your only concerned about fast paced FPS gaming is to get one of those 120hz monitors. Hands down. They suck for everything else tho.

You wouldn't hapen to own the MultiSync 19" 1970GX LCD? It has served me well!

120 Hz only really affects movies and such as theyre shot in the 24 fps rate.

Honestly if you can afford the extra price for the 120 Hz, get it. It cant hurt. But if youre trying to save some bucks, do without.

Or want to rock out some proper 3D gaming. :) I can't wait to pick up a 120hz tv..

You wouldn't hapen to own the MultiSync 19" 1970GX LCD? It has served me well!

I also have a 70GX from NEC. It's a fantastic monitor. I would ditch my Samsung 226BW if only the NEC was a 24" 1080p I wouldn't be looking for another monitor now. Though Samsung is rated at 2ms, I subjectively see less ghosting issues on the NEC (which I believe is a 12ms(!) monitor.) I can follow fast viewpoint pans much easier on the NEC.

As it is, I'm in the same boat. Looking for a great FPS 1080p monitor with HDMI (so I can connect the consoles too.)

Thanks just ordered the VW266H

You "should" be happy with it. Here was my review when I bought mine.

http://hardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1391389

an update to that review. I sometime find it too big, especially when playing WoW. Reaching the icons on my actions bars can sometimes take a little long to reach when in heavy combat.

However I still love it. I haven't seen anything I'd want to replace it with except for the 24" 120hz Asus which we may never see here in the U.S. :( http://vr-zone.com/forums/443950/asus-showcased-120hz-full-hd-lcd-monitor.html

I also have a 70GX from NEC. It's a fantastic monitor. I would ditch my Samsung 226BW if only the NEC was a 24" 1080p I wouldn't be looking for another monitor now. Though Samsung is rated at 2ms, I subjectively see less ghosting issues on the NEC (which I believe is a 12ms(!) monitor.) I can follow fast viewpoint pans much easier on the NEC.

As it is, I'm in the same boat. Looking for a great FPS 1080p monitor with HDMI (so I can connect the consoles too.)

I want another NEC monitor in the 23-24" inch size (1920x1080 or 1920x1200) strictly for gaming that has the OptiClear sceen, I can't go back to matt screens! I'm surprised there aren't more shiny type screens, NEC's OptiClear does not reflect light like HP and LG's do. I paid $605.- dollars for it 5 years ago!

You "should" be happy with it. Here was my review when I bought mine.

http://hardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1391389

an update to that review. I sometime find it too big, especially when playing WoW. Reaching the icons on my actions bars can sometimes take a little long to reach when in heavy combat.

However I still love it. I haven't seen anything I'd want to replace it with except for the 24" 120hz Asus which we may never see here in the U.S. :( http://vr-zone.com/forums/443950/asus-showcased-120hz-full-hd-lcd-monitor.html

Can you utilise the 120Hz LCD while gaming on just the one LCD?

Back