Fark, I give up. Screw upgrading this year.

IceWindus

n00b
I had a heart breaking reality check last night when I estimated upgrading my system this year.

Athlon 939 3500+ $499

Asus A8V mobo *This will change change, I want a nforce 3, no evil VIA* $171

Corsair 3200 XL 1Gig 2-2-2 RAM $375

NVidia 6800GT or ATI X800 xt $400

Total Approx asinine price $1,445!!!!

Holy freaking crap Batman!! I dunno about you, but thats just a bit beyond what I would want to spend, even on an Athlon setup.

As much as I love having an ultimate machine, thats just to much for my blood and my job in is on a real thin wire as well...

After reading article after article on the whole new AMD vs Intel and the evergoing Nvidia and ATi, I seriously dunno what to do or think at this point.

We have Intel shoving technology so far down our throats its coming out of our asses with almost NO increase or benefit of any kind. Well it pretty much rules out Intel for me, thats for sure. Way to go Intel

We have AMD who is doing a bang up job but is pulling an Intel pricing joke on us on their mobo's and CPU's. We have yet to see when they will fully implament PCI-E and let alone DDR2, whenever that makes a difference in performance

Then we have the whole ATi and Nvidia mud fest. We honestly are not seeing these cards of what they are REALLY capable of doing for one good reason.....

Doom 3 and Half Life 2 are not here.

Honestly, if these games were launched and I was able to see what these cards were capable of on these next gen games, the decision would be simple enough. Even Far Cry has been equal basically in both camps. Possibly with the SM 3.0 patch, it will tip the odds in Nvidias favor, but im optimistic, especially with them

As such, Im starting to get to a little tired of this gambling of money and computer equipment and the marketing BS from all companies. Its just really starting to get old.

In fact, I may start increasing my upgrade schedule once every two years because everytime I get excited about upgrading to the newest thing and preparing for it, I end up in the biggest marketing mud throwing and shit hitting the turbine fan fest every year and im tired of it.

I think this summer, I"d rather spend on getting a pair of rims for my Honda for my Birthday, I think the computer can wait awhile until late fall or maybe even next year.

Man, the only thing you might have to do is upgrade the vid card. With a rig like you have, there's no reason to upgrade. Yes, 64 bit sounds nice, but there's no huge benefit to it yet anyway.

Agreed. It wouldn't be logical too spend that much upgrading a system of your calibur. Save the money.

wait for the prices to fall, then sell your old system to recoupe the losses :D it's a way of life

With a system like you have in your sig why are you even thinking about an upgrade? Yours should run anything you throw at it with a vengeance like it is right now - including Far Cry. Wait until Microsoft releases the 64 bit version of XP and then build that Athlon 64 (That's what I'm waiting on). Prices should be coming down by then on the CPUs and the newer DDR2 and PCI-E technology might be actually available by then. Until then you would only see modest gains over your current system. It just wouldn't make $$ sense with you having a system as fast as you already have.

it's a given you're going to pay that much for a new setup now, 3 out of the 4 main items on there are pretty much brand spanking new which means you're going to be paying that premium price

and what everyone else said, it's absolutely pointless for you to get a brand new system now, your current one culd last you another year easily

You'd be a retarded to worry about upgrading that system anyway right now. I mean really....

And I mean that in the nicest way possible. =)

Back