Farcry on DVD only

Originally posted by NickTheNut
next time you try and act cool, make sure your links work. i get a page about my search not showing any results.

and this has already been discussed. many people do not shop online, or at newegg. read the whole thread.

First, I fixed the links per your request.:rolleyes:

Two, I wasn't trying "to act cool", as you put it, I was just mentioning that there is really no good excuse to not have a DVD drive, be it a ROM or Burner.

Third, so what if people don't shop online, why should I be accountable to the stupidity of others that would throw $60 dollars towards a DVD-ROM drive 'cause they fear the internet. $25 dollars gets you a 16x DVD-ROM drive online.

Last, I did read the entire thread, like the good little poster I try to be.:rolleyes: Good luck with those issues you have, they sound like they are holding you back from being a rational and decent person. I really wish you good luck with dealing with any and all unresolved issues that you may or may not be holding onto. Really, good luck.:)

Originally posted by Tiny
First, I fixed the links per your request.:rolleyes:

Two, I wasn't trying "to act cool", as you put it, I was just mentioning that there is really no good excuse to not have a DVD drive, be it a ROM or Burner.

Third, so what if people don't shop online, why should I be accountable to the stupidity of others that would throw $60 dollars towards a DVD-ROM drive 'cause they fear the internet. $25 dollars gets you a 16x DVD-ROM drive online.

Last, I did read the entire thread, like the good little poster I try to be.:rolleyes: Good luck with those issues you have, they sound like they are holding you back from being a rational and decent person. I really wish you good luck with dealing with any and all unresolved issues that you may or may not be holding onto. Really, good luck.:)

your links still don't work ;)

money is always a good excuse. at least to me. and to many others. have you ever gotten your credit card info stolen? your credit record turned to shit? do you even understand what can happen to a person if those things happen? probably not.

oh, and your not being held accountable for peoples "stupidity" as you call it.

and don't be an ass and try to judge my character, or situation. all you do is make yourself look like an even bigger ass then i have thus far. (yes, i admit I have been an ass, and looked like an ass in this thread)

ahh screw it, a mod should close this before it gets out of hand.

Originally posted by KingPariah777
Just because dvd burners are available doesn't mean everybody has them...EVERYBODY has a CD burner, but I only know one guy with a DVD burner...

You need to think of all the broke highschool kids and college students who copy games by CD...

I would bet not many of them have a DVD burner...
I thought the exact same thing until this past Christmas. I bought a DVD burner to convert old VHS tapes. I can't believe how cheap they have become and how many sales they had. When I found the drive I wanted, I had to go to three different stores before I could find one in stock. With the new 8x drives coming out, old models are being liquidated. Heck, there's one in the Best Buy ad for $119.

Granted the main reason people are buying them isn't for copying other DVDs. Like me, they want to covert old home movies and store their pictures to show on their stand-alone DVD player. But the main thing is that they are buying them. Hey, that's a good thing.

BTW, I am thinking about broke kids. That hasn't stopped them from asking mom or dad to get one. ("Hey dad, it converts old movies!") With as many kids in the [H]ardForums talking about saving up to get the latest $400 video card for HL2 or Doom3, I have little doubt that they can save up for a DVD burner.

Heck, I blew $200 each month buying 12" singles at the local DJ shop when I was in high school. It can be done. Heck I did it and I was dirt poor. Wasn't the smartest decision, but I did it.

Hopefully this will make lifes harder for the warez people too? Since games are going to get even bigger now when on DVD. Like UT2004 having what was it 100 maps? :D

Originally posted by oqvist
Hopefully this will make lifes harder for the warez people too? Since games are going to get even bigger now when on DVD. Like UT2004 having what was it 100 maps? :D

Doubtful

They already release multi-ISO rips, and already release ISO's of DVD Movies. (4+ Gb each.)

Why would a single DVD game be of any consequence to them?
They could even rip out unecessary extras to bring down the space... but why? In most cases, Broadband is available readily. (Be it school, friends, librarys... etc)

To voice my opinion on the "money vs. need" factor here. Both parties ARE correct... To an extent. And it's like others have mentioned previously; The media will drive the market. It goes hand-in-hand really.

When games and Apps took up more than 10 3.5" floppies, we all complained "Ugh. Jesus fucking christ. Insert disk eleventy-four!"

Now we're at a point where we sit installing for 4-5minutes per CD, and get to "Ugh. Jesus fucking christ. Insert CD 4"

The convenience for Joe Consumer to not have to swap out 5-6 CDs on install, and then insert another disc to play will make Joe Consumer contemplate purchasing a DVD-ROM *at the least*
Hey, it can read his old game CDs, it can read the new Game DVDs, and he could watch movies if he so chose. All this for $45 (avg. price at B&M shops)

The monetary factor of having a lower cost of production will make the publishers start considering DVDs more for their medium of delivery. What happens when Final Fantasy MCMXCVIII comes out? Are we going to have them ship the game in a Case-Logic CD Folder?

Sorry for the long post.

Cliffs:
1) DVD Games won't stop warezers

2) The media / publishing aspect is driven both by demand and by convenience

3) profit.

This'll be interesting, I wonder what it'll do in a movie player. (sorry if someone else said this)

I have to agree that DVD games won't stop warez, but since those DVD images are 4 gigs or more, that keeps a lot of people from downloading them. Even on a 3 Mbit connection downstream, that's still going to take a long time to download. BTW, I'm another broke high schooler who recently got laid off in a grocery store closing and I was able to afford an external DVD burner for $75 used. You just have to look around for the idiots who don't have any idea what the item is worth in resale ;)

Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
... I was able to afford an external DVD burner for $75 used. You just have to look around for the idiots who don't have any idea what the item is worth in resale ;)

That or find some Elite-O gamer that upgrades constantly, and will offload his DVDROM Cheaply :)

Like the For Sale/Trade forum here :cool:

Originally posted by NickTheNut
your links still don't work ;)

money is always a good excuse. at least to me. and to many others. have you ever gotten your credit card info stolen? your credit record turned to shit? do you even understand what can happen to a person if those things happen? probably not.

oh, and your not being held accountable for peoples "stupidity" as you call it.

and don't be an ass and try to judge my character, or situation. all you do is make yourself look like an even bigger ass then i have thus far. (yes, i admit I have been an ass, and looked like an ass in this thread)

BAH! Forget the links...they were to newegg anyway.(I was trying to use them as illistration purposes to show the difference of buying online versus a B&M like BestBuy.)

I have had my credit card stolen, but it was from a resturant I went to, not online. Stupid whore of a waitress stole the number and used it to buy leather biker gear. Hell of a time fixing the situation, so I do now what happens. Also, I had some guy in Indiana using my SSN to open dozens of accounts, hell of a time fixing that too.

I was trying to understand where the sudden vile hate was coming from, I admit I could have done it in a more civil way. I too let my ass side show, sorry.

TRUCE?

Believe me the bigger the games get the fewer will take the hazzle of downloading them. It doesn´t matter if you are on broadband or not if you get speeds of like 10 kb/s if lucky.

I remember Bioware complaining when Baldurs Gate 2 was released that the market wasn't ready for DVD releases, so they were stuck with multiple CD's.

That was several years ago, so what's the excuse now?

Virtual ROM drive software can mount DVD images just fine. I think it should be illegal to sell programs like Alcohol 120% because without directly saying it, it promotes piracy.

Originally posted by Staples
Virtual ROM drive software can mount DVD images just fine. I think it should be illegal to sell programs like Alcohol 120% because without directly saying it, it promotes piracy.

Yes, because god forbid you should ever be able to back up anything you legally own :rolleyes:

I think it should be illegal to sell programs like Alcohol 120% because without directly saying it, it promotes piracy.

Gasoline with Oxygen premotes Explosions there for it should be illeagal to sell and use both.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Stiler
Yes, because god forbid you should ever be able to back up anything you legally own :rolleyes:
The creators go out of their way to thwart off the best copy protection measures. Maybe we should have stores that sell nuclear weapons because I need to protect my house.

The creators go out of their way to thwart off the best copy protection measures. Maybe we should have stores that sell nuclear weapons because I need to protect my house.

they do that so that the program can do what it's intended to do. back up software.

answer me this, do you, or have you ever, had a file sharing program installed on your computer? do you, or have you ever downloaded an mp3 from the internet? do you, or have you ever ripped a cd you legally own into a compressed format? if you answered yes to any of these... you should stop with your current argument.

if you haven't. i'll be the first one to say it. your lieing.

:D

I guess it's finally almost time to buy a DVD drive. So far I've never bothered since I do my movie watching on the surround sound setup in my living room & I haven't run into any software I wanted that needed a DVD drive.
Now I just have to figure out if I should spring for a SCSI one or pollute my rig with ATA stuff. I'll pretty much have to if I want a writer. Grr.

And you know what? the "warzer" still beats them.

The creators "copy protection" ends up hurting wayyyyy more people who LEGALLY buy the game.

You are LEGALLY allowed to make one backup copy of software that you own aswell.

The best cd protection scheme is to have a cd key and a online cd key verification system.

we checked with Cord Smith, Brand Manager for Ubisoft, and confirmed that the North American retail version of Far Cry will ship on five CD-ROM discs. European markets will receive the game on exclusively DVD-ROM, as DVD drives are much more far more prevalent in that region.

Uhh, thats no so good for those in the US.

I think it should be illegal to sell programs like Alcohol 120% because without directly saying it, it promotes piracy.

the same was said about VCRs, tape decks, and burners; and i'm willing to bet you own some of those.

Originally posted by Eklipto
Uhh, thats no so good for those in the US.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

Ubi just keeps getting worse and worse even though they've had some great games lately...

Back