FarCry 2 - massive input lag in DX10 w/ higher FPS?

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone,

This is my 1st experience with Vista (Ultimate 64 bit) and gaming , and goes with out saying DX10 as well. So, just like the [H] article reports, according to FRAPS with the exact same settings DX10 does produce higher FPS than DX9.

However, I also noticed that it creates a massive input (mouse/keyboard) lag, despite being 5-10 FPS faster. This is different from the well known micro stutter issue which I have also noticed after finally switching to Vista.

Does anyone know if there is a remedy for the lag? Or is the answer to simply revert back to DX9?

Thanks!

The only temporary fix I found was the max_fps 30 command in the console which caps your framerate at 30fps (not ideal, but seems to mostly solve it); it seems to be some kind of vsync issue, even though vsync has been disabled everywhere. The issue has actually forced me to put the game away until it has been properly fixed.

i never found a solution other than running in DX9. sucks.

Same here, Vista64,

Had to run DX9 because of input lag.

Couldn't shake it off in DX10

quadnad - Thanks, I'll give it a shot to see if it works.

dnottis - Yea, I read nothing about this in the [H] article. It seems wide spread so I have doubts that their machine didn't show it - they seem to have just not played the game.

While I wait for Steam to download Crysis, do other games experience the same DX10 problems FarCry does? The micro stutter I'm not happy about but can live with, the lag makes it unplayable for me. I've done a bit of searching and while it does come up, most of the articles and threads I find are from mid 2007.

Welp... got Crysis installed. Except it doesn't seem to recognize my display correctly and will not show its native resolution (1680x1050) in the menu.

I think Fallout 3 has noticeable input lag as well, as does GTA IV. In all three including Far Cry 2 I notice the input lag much more on the main menu. In-game it doesn't bother me hugely but it makes the controls feel not nearly as satisfying as playing a more '1:1' game like Crysis or Half Life 2.

I think it comes down to them being console ports though, sad as that may be.

In terms of FC2 though, I remember seeing other threads about addressing mouse cursor lag (I'm assuming that's what you mean) so I would do a search.

In all three including Far Cry 2 I notice the input lag much more on the main menu. In-game it doesn't bother me hugely but it makes the controls feel not nearly as satisfying as playing a more '1:1' game like Crysis or Half Life 2.

the menus in FC2 are terrible. it's frustrating as all hell. in DX10 the lag is just enough to bother me. in DX9 it's still there but hardly noticeable. i have a deep appreciation for games like COD4 and Crysis that get it right.

I don't have any input lag playing FarCry 2 in DX10 on Vista x64. The mouse acts funny in the menus though, if I move it real slow, the pointer doesn't move at all, I have to move fast, I think this is to help noobs not overshoot menus but it causes me to miss more actually. Doesn't happen in game though. Also played Far Cry 2 on two different Vista x64 machines and both were the same.

chances are you're just not sensitve to input lag, which is a good thing IMO.

I really doubt that. I've played FPS games exclusively for the last 15 years, putting in an hour or so a day almost everyday, and am almost always top scorer. But I guess anything's possible. I'd sooner believe it's a configuration error at this point.

I think Fallout 3 has noticeable input lag as well,

At least for Fallout 3, thats because of VSync. You can disable it, but I can't remember if you have to force it in the control panel or if the in-game option worked...

I never had any microstuttering or input lag in Vista x64 Far Cry 2.

In Dead Space, disabling in game Vsync, and enabling control panel Vsync and Triple Buffering fixed the input issues that were similar to this. It's worth a try for FC2, I guess?

I really doubt that. I've played FPS games exclusively for the last 15 years, putting in an hour or so a day almost everyday, and am almost always top scorer. But I guess anything's possible. I'd sooner believe it's a configuration error at this point.

eh i don't consider it a function of your gaming experience. case in point i've been palying FPS's since the original DOOM and i'm not sensitvie to LCD ghosting.

Any insight as to what the configuration error is?

Well, having never had the issue, I have no experience correcting it. I would try different drivers (newer ones if possible, if not, then try older ones, sometimes older drivers have fixed issues in the past for me), especially graphics drivers. Maybe update the bios, and try disabling all processes not absolutely necessary. Undo any OCs. You guys know the routine.

eh i don't consider it a function of your gaming experience. case in point i've been palying FPS's since the original DOOM and i'm not sensitvie to LCD ghosting.

Oh well I wasn't sure if you were possibly calling me a noob or something. But I mean, I am probably someone who would be more sensitive to this than just about anyone. I don't just play FPS all the time, I strive to be the best and I tweak everything on my system, etc. Any lag or delay in any game drives me NUTS. I won't play on a server that pings over 45ms in CS:S for instance, because it affects my game. Like I said, it's possible I don't notice it, but I really doubt that.

If you adjust the pre-rendered frames setting in the far cry 2 control panel, it says that it can fix mouse and input issues. Read the description of it for full details.

I stumbled upon a possible fix for input lag in DX10. I don't know what the ATI setting is but in the Nvidia control panel make sure pre-rendered frames is set to 3. Then open the gamerprofile.xml file located in the \users\xxx\documents\my games\far cry 2 folder. Near the beginning of the file, change the MaxDriverBufferedFrames setting from 0 to 3. This seemed to help me quite a bit. I'm not entirely sure that all input lag is gone but at least it's noticeably better.

Back