Far Cry 3 unplayable

The artifacts big and small make this game unplayable. i can get a good 8 minutes out of it before i have to restart the whole game. Walls of green texture encapsulate me at random points in the game. im on 314.22 driver so maybe updating will fix it?

Sounds like a overheating gpu. I don't know if updating drivers will change that problem...

What are temps like for your gpu? Are you overclocking the gpu?

Certain games can stress your GPU in certain ways.

The only time I've ever seen artifact in my games was right before my PSU died. Overheating can also cause this (probably due to dust).

Ran really well on my 580.
Monitor temps with MSI Afterburner.
Remove dust from the heatsinks.

I had this same problem when my 670 was OC'ed by 100Mhz. I bumped down the OC to 75 and it hasn't happened since.

It seems to me that FC3 is very sensitive when it comes to minute GPU errors.

yeah, this game is very demanding... watch those temps... and maybe dump any overclocks back to default to see if that helps... if you are overheating maybe make a more aggressive fan profile.

the temps are fine, doesnt go above 68c. every game is fine except far cry3. The card came OC'd, but far cry 3 doesnt seem that demanding to me compared to other games like batman AC. How come no one else has this problem? I used to get it with far cry 2 as well, albeit a lot less frequently and was more of a rare thing back in 2009. my card is GTX 670. specs from website:

GPU Engine Specs:
CUDA Cores 1344
Base Clock (MHz) 1006
Boost Clock (MHz) 1085
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 102.5

Memory Specs:
Memory Speed 6008Mhz
Standard Memory Config 2048MB
Memory Interface Width 256-bit GDDR5
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 192.2

I had the same problem in FC3 and I rolled back my OC to something less daring. Cured it. Now your card is factory overclocked and Nvidia so I don't have much experience with it.

I was running GTX 470s in SLI and it killed one. The monitor went all weird with artifacts and the game froze. Forced me to upgrade...oh well. 670s in SLI have been holding up pretty well...

Also factory overclocked GTX570s are famous for needing an extra little bump in core voltage to be truly stable.

to avoid confusion i updated my sig. why would one game mess up like this but all else is find? a bit presumptuous to blame the GPU when software could be at fault? Far Cry 3 fps isnt dropping and gameplay is smooth, but textures are acting up. I get the feeling MSI afterburner might be the cause? when i didnt run it the game went on okay.

Last edited:
to avoid confusion i updated my sig. why would one game mess up like this but all else is find? a bit presumptuous to blame the GPU when software could be at fault? Far Cry 3 fps isnt dropping and gameplay is smooth, but textures are acting up. I get the feeling MSI afterburner might be the cause? when i didnt run it the game went on okay.

You posted because you obviously wanted our opinions on the issue. People are giving you very valid advice and you're dismissing it as impossible?

Seriously? ESPECIALLY when people are saying that they experienced the same exact thing and telling you how they fixed it?

Just because no other game that you play has issues means jack shit. This is the world of computing. It's not presumptuous at all to blame the card. What you're describing is clearly video artifacting.

FarCry 3 is tough on your system. Just because you don't think it should be doesn't mean it's not so.

i get this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rKZAqhdpA

the game isnt that demanding, if it were it would be slow in gameplay. lots of people are having that problem this leads me to belive its not the card. lowering clock might be a remedy but its not the cause.

When I OC my PC the way to test it is to fire up FC3 and see if I can play for 30 mins without artifacting. Overclock settings that work fine in BF3 won't cut the mustard in FC3. Another game that is intensive is Sleeping Dogs on the highest settings.

Like someone else mentioned try raising your voltage slightly going to your card. That will generate more heat, but it also gives the card more headroom to handle the most demanding scenes. Have you tried cutting back on the AA in FC3 and running lower settings in the game? Try to lower your settings until you get at least 50 fps at all times.

Make sure you're running the latest Nvidia drivers. Once I was having a problem with some games and I found out that my motherboard drivers were out of date and was causing issues with games. Let us know how it goes!

i get this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rKZAqhdpA

the game isnt that demanding, if it were it would be slow in gameplay. lots of people are having that problem this leads me to belive its not the card. lowering clock might be a remedy but its not the cause.

Run GPU-Z in the background with logging on while playing and check for temps including spikes especially when the artifacts happen.

I have 32 hours played on FC3 and NOT once on my current rig did I have single crash or artifacts issue. It's your machine.

When I OC my PC the way to test it is to fire up FC3 and see if I can play for 30 mins without artifacting. Overclock settings that work fine in BF3 won't cut the mustard in FC3. Another game that is intensive is Sleeping Dogs on the highest settings.

Like someone else mentioned try raising your voltage slightly going to your card. That will generate more heat, but it also gives the card more headroom to handle the most demanding scenes. Have you tried cutting back on the AA in FC3 and running lower settings in the game? Try to lower your settings until you get at least 50 fps at all times.

Make sure you're running the latest Nvidia drivers. Once I was having a problem with some games and I found out that my motherboard drivers were out of date and was causing issues with games. Let us know how it goes!

i get almost 60fps now without lowering settings. as a personal rule of mine i dont blame the hardware unless more than one game is acting up. sure ive had cards in the past that failed when playing GTA4, Crysis and Far Cry 2, but these games generally ran slow. the remedy was high voltage or lower, but they still persisted just more rarely. I probably should get the latest drivers first but the ones out now are said to affect BF3 negatively which is why im reluctant. maybe there is some benchmark one can try to see if the card has problems?

Run GPU-Z in the background with logging on while playing and check for temps including spikes especially when the artifacts happen.

I have 32 hours played on FC3 and NOT once on my current rig did I have single crash or artifacts issue. It's your machine.

I use msi afterburner, are they both same thing? max temps are 71c, unless you mean some other temp?

Certain games can stress your GPU in certain ways.

The only time I've ever seen artifact in my games was right before my PSU died. Overheating can also cause this (probably due to dust).

thats something im actually worried about, i dont know what temps my psu is running at obviously. And case being on carpet cant be good for it.

Last edited:
Back