Far Cry 2 DRM SecuRom limit 5 activations.....

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
Looks like I won't be buying this game. Too bad ubisoft doesn't learn from others mistakes.

It is on their site now in French but yup. Securom ftw!

You get 5 activations.

Change your OS? that's 1
Change your video card? that's 2
Reformat? 3
etc
etc
etc

Jackasses

Pass on this purchase lol. Maybe someday they will realize that such anti-piracy efforts have the direct Opposite effect.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/5821025686/p/1

while I agree that Securom is quite a homosexual way to try to prevent piracy....

you can probably call them up if you need further activations, and they should oblige.

correct?

Ugh... there has to be a better way. I was really looking forward to this game but I may either wait for the bargain bin or just get it on a console.

while I agree that Securom is quite a homosexual way to try to prevent piracy....

you can probably call them up if you need further activations, and they should oblige.

correct?

What if, say, you want to play this game 5 years down the road and you find out that Ubisoft has deactivated the activation server/service for Farcry 2. What then? Not saying it will happen but it's not like it couldn't.

while I agree that this is quite a homosexual way to try to prevent piracy....

correct?

Not so far. There is a limit of 5 activations as the official stance.

Fallout 3 however, is doing a "minimal drm" which should not give legit users any trouble ever.

I saw someone post that the Monkey Island code wheel wuld work great.

correct?

lol

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.

Well I was going to buy this game, but now I'll just pirate it (lol I kid I kid.. or am I?).

It is a gamefly rental at best for me now. I might "aquire" a copy to see it on pc but forget about paying them for such a silly move. If they did not learn from the spore fiasco then they don't deserve to live.

*** ****ing **** it. Oh well. Guess I'll be skipping yet ANOTHER title this year.

i'm still going to buy the game, it just sucks we have to deal with this kind of stuff.

i like how everyone is like, because of drm i am not buying the game.. stop making excusing for pirating games... just admit it, you pirate because games are free!!!!!!!!

Annnnnnnd won't be buying this because of activation limits, the cycle continues :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder when they'll finally learn.

i like how everyone is like, because of drm i am not buying the game.. stop making excusing for pirating games... just admit it, you pirate because games are free!!!!!!!!

I'll just buy it on the PS3/360 instead.

Hopefully, the console versions will sell more so slowly more and more development studios will eventually completely abandon the PC as a gaming platform.

Ok I'm joking about the PC thing... sort of.

Another one gets added to the list. Shame too -- I was going to pre-order this one.

May still bite if the Steam version has no SecuROM whatsoever.

I don't pirate games I don't buy, I just don't buy them. Ergo, I don't play them. It's that simple.

What if, say, you want to play this game 5 years down the road and you find out that Ubisoft has deactivated the activation server/service for Farcry 2. What then? Not saying it will happen but it's not like it couldn't.

Not so far. There is a limit of 5 activations as the official stance.

Fallout 3 however, is doing a "minimal drm" which should not give legit users any trouble ever.

I saw someone post that the Monkey Island code wheel wuld work great.

lol

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.

well shit. I thought I read that the game companies were allowing more activations for this SecuROM bullshit on a case-by-case basis.

again, I stand by my statement that this IS quite a homosexual way to try to prevent piracy.

what a damn shame.

This is a quote from a Ubisoft manger on the FC2 forum

Posted this in the other DRM thread and I'll post it here too. Hopefully this will help:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

Its not just the install limit, but its also the remote authentication needed on install.

However, most people seem to be fine with remote authentication. I guess thats a lost battle.

Yeah, too many people freak out about the cursed DRMs. Companies aren't putting DRMs on their games to make people mad, they put them there so that they can make money, and down the road make another game for you.

Yes, I wish everyone who was pirating games would get awesome jobs and start paying for the games, but we all know that there are people out there that are so cheap that they could have plenty of money, and they would still pirate the games.

This is a quote from a Ubisoft manger on the FC2 forum

Posted this in the other DRM thread and I'll post it here too. Hopefully this will help:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

The revoke function is really good. It essentially means you can install it as many times as you want. Unless of course your computer suffers from catastrophic failure which doesn't allow you to uninstall the game before you need to reformat the PC. How often does that really happen though?

Phobic said:

I would say they would do the same things as Bio Shock and remove the install limits with a patch.

In all honesty though. These DRM methods really are ineffective as they eventually get cracked anyway.

Eh... if they give me trouble it's not like there isn't a way to get around it. Screw the DMCA, a fair transaction is a fair transaction. On a train, on a plane, what's the difference?

Far Cry 2 will be definitely be #1 on the torrent scene now. Good job fucking yourself over, Ubisoft.

I already pre-ordered it through Steam. Hopefully the uninstall=revoke works.

What do you mean eventually.....more like two weeks before the official version is available at retailers!

Edit: These company executives really are incredibly stupid. They intentionally restrict the rights of people who legitimately buy their games but which has absolutely no affect whatsoever on the people who pirate them. It is just ludicrous and a complete waste of money from a developers point of view which could be better spend actually improving the game!

Copy Protection
It is important to understand that SecuROM does not run in the background when a protected game is not running, it does not have any general performance impact on your system, it does not spy on your personal information, it is not a rootkit or malware, and when uninstalled, it only leaves behind a set of Registry keys holding license information. All of this is explained in detail in the EA SecuROM FAQ linked further above. Increasing piracy has forced companies to protect their multi-million dollar investments in PC game development and thus increase DRM measures to discourage casual piracy. If you wish to feel outraged about these measures, I would encourage you to aim your anger at the pirates who for years have downloaded all manner of games, whether good or bad, cheap or expensive, protected or unprotected, under an endless variety of excuses. DRM is not the source of piracy; rampant piracy has unfortunately forced DRM upon us. There is no magic solution to this problem.
Taken from the Warhead tweak guide, but applies to any DRM game.

Edit: These company executives really are incredibly stupid. They intentionally restrict the rights of people who legitimately buy their games but which has absolutely no affect whatsoever on the people who pirate them. It is just ludicrous and a complete waste of money from a developers point of view which could be better spend actually improving the game!

It actually goes further than that, if you think about it.

Not only does it not prevent piracy, but because the cracked copies of the games don't have the DRM in them at all, that mean the cracked copy is actually MORE desireable to anyone that knows anything about modern day DRM.

It's been well proved to improve load times, stop blue screens of death (hardware related crashes), imporve frame rates, improve overall stability, no worry about activating, no worry about putting the disc in the drive, no worry about how many installs you have left.

To add DRM, despite it not doing any good, is just flat out stupid, and maybe niave that it doesn't actually work. But to actually put in DRM that puts off legitimate customers from buying your game, that's just completely retarded.

It makes publishers like EA look like hard headed idiots who are sort of clued in that DRM isn't doing any good, so the obvious mistake is that it's not draconian enough, so they're pushing back harder everytime in a situation you know just ins't going end well.

Everytime I think about DRM now, and EA especially, I get the mental image of a enraged child (fat for some reason), really really angry, stuck in a chinese finger trap, flailing about screaming and shouting at the frustration that pulling isn't working...so they must pull harder, there must be some value of force that can be applied to escape the trap, you just need to make the value high enough.

Of course the more you pull the tighter it grips and the only way to get out is to realise you need to stop pulling!

In all honesty though. These DRM methods really are ineffective as they eventually get cracked anyway.
Yep. If I buy FC2, I will *opt out* of the activation via a Juarez patch. I did that with Crysis Warhead.

All I'm really looking forward to right now is Left 4 Dead. I didn't like the first Far Cry anyways.

Again, just like in Crysis:Warhead case, this has nothing to do do with piracy, they are targeting second-hand sales. They are using piracy as a cover, but they don't want you to sell your game on Ebay or to your buddy for 10 bucks after 3 months, they want people to walk into Best Buy and pay 50 bucks for it.

Again, just like in Crysis:Warhead case, this has nothing to do do with piracy, they are targeting second-hand sales. They are using piracy as a cover, but they don't want you to sell your game on Ebay or to your buddy for 10 bucks after 3 months, they want people to walk into Best Buy and pay 50 bucks for it.

Maybe they should focus more on creating fantastic games that people wont WANT to sell :p

Doesn't sound like they have much faith in their product lol

Too bad this DRM has absolutely no affect whatsoever on pirates.
No it doesn't. What will is when a gaming version of the RIAA goes after pirates and costs them in court.

Then the pirates claiming to "fight the man" will find he punches back.

I am still yet to play Spore, mass effect, bioshock, or any of that other drm laidened crap. I have not pirated those games, or other games. I'm sorry, but my price is higher than a video game.

Why should we pay for inferior version with the pirates can enjoy the full version for free?

Back