• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Far Cry 2 4870x2 Strange problem

Mangaroo

n00b
Joined
Aug 19, 2008
Messages
63
Hi guys, i've been playing far cry 2 quite a bit today and im getting quite a strange problem: Around about every hour (give or take 5-10ish minutes) the game will crash to desktop almost immediately. Now the game runs VERY well (72ish fps on very high settings 1680 or 1920) but suddenly quits..

Specs:

4870x2
Q9550 oc 3.4
8GB DDR2 corsair twinx
veliciraptor 300

8.10 + far cry 2 hotfix drivers on vista x64

Any help is much appreciated
 
does it happen w/ other games? I would try re-installing the drivers if it's just Farcry 2, then try reinstalling the game itself.
 
Hmm, memory leak perhaps?

I don't suppose you can monitor mem usage in game through a console command?
 
I've had the exact same thing happen to me, about an hour into gameplay the game just crashes to desktop without warning. I'm also running Cat 8.10 with Hotfix and the 4870x2, Vista 64bit. Got my game from Steam, I haven't tried reinstalling it yet The weird thing is that there's not slowdown or stuttering before or after the game crash. That game starts up fine afterwards, no errors, nothing.
 
i am having exact same issue with a single 4870 with same vista 64bit, latest drivers with the hotfix etc. game runs great otherwise. if i forget to save often I lose my progress every time it crashes. like others it crashes to desktop about every hour or 2.

FYI a single 4870 runs far cry 2 at max settings + 4x AA pretty well. I have not noticed any slowdown at all. the benchmark put my average right around 30fps. good enough for me the mainly MMORPG type. us mmorpgers are used to 30fps being good

for you hard core FPS guys that need 60fps at all times,you will need the 4870 x2 or some other multi GPU setup

im not really into FPS, but this new engine is too beautiful to pass up. the DX10 features make it so amazing and beautiful. the blur effects and lighting are done very well, and make it way better than traditional dx9 look.
 
Hey all , this is also happening with me. 4870x2 with hotpatch installed.
I get artifacts up the wazoo and boom crash.
Im running auto tune to see if it helps , great game but Ive had 5 crashes since I got this today.

Vista 64bit , 4gb of ram , Amd 6400+ , HIS 4870x2 .
What do you guys have your clocks set to?
 
Hey all , this is also happening with me. 4870x2 with hotpatch installed.
I get artifacts up the wazoo and boom crash.
Im running auto tune to see if it helps , great game but Ive had 5 crashes since I got this today.

Vista 64bit , 4gb of ram , Amd 6400+ , HIS 4870x2 .
What do you guys have your clocks set to?

stock clocks, no artifacts, still crashes to desktop every couple hours

i just hit f5 quick save often, not too bad till they fix it

you pushing your gpus too hard? hope your gddr5 is all good

have fun!
 
Sounds like a Vista x64 problem to me, most likely a driver issue. I'm using Windows XP x64 and I have no issues with my 4870x2 at all.
 
I have the same problem. There seems to be a common thread for others with this issue, DX10.
I played DX9 today to see if it would crash and it did not. Mine starts stuttering a little about an hour in, then crashes after (upwards of 40 min?). Many are having the problem with different systems/ video cards.
 
I literally just got done with about 4 hours of the game and had to quit because I was both tired and the game started artifacting. It started stuttering and then about a .1 second screen blank and I would be facing a different direction in a different spot in the general area.:confused: Then came the massive artifacts and disappearing background. Something similar happened in Clear sky once and today 2142 had a huge building-sized artifact in the place of a tree. I think the card is gradually going south unless its a driver issue. Out of about 75 hours of gaming on this card, its only had 3 problems with artifacts.:mad:
 
I am in the same boat. its starting to piss me off. I have had this game one pre order since may so i have been waiting most of the freakin year to play it. and now i can only play an hour or two before it freakin crashes and I am in the same boat with the drivers and fixes


Q6600
GA-ep45-ds3r
4gb of ram
vista 64
4870 x2


I am going to try some older drivers tonight and see if that helps any. Which sucks because i really like the performance boost that the hotfix gave
 
Good to know I am not the only person who is experiencing this!

The game started OK, but now every 10-15 mins or so all the trees disappear a few times, and it crashes to desktop. Then I get this looping sound until I restart windows. It is annoying because of what I have played so far it is a very fun game (although I wish guards would stay dead at checkpoints).

I have all of the latest drivers including 8.10 and the hotfix.

Specs:

4870X2 (stock)
Q9550 (overclocked...but stable)
8Gb Ram
Vista 64Bit
 
I honestly think that 8.10 makes the cards run hotter. I get shimmering and flashing as well after 8.10 unless I turn the fan profile up to 50%. Before I never had to go above 35%. Temps are also 5-10C higher now. I am not crashing at all and the games run fine but the cards are being stressed more and are definitely hotter after 8.10.
 
I dont notice any heat increase even at 45% fan (max temp 70C).

The other problem is that the game slows to a crawl when there is smoke close by.

Hopefully a patch will be released.
 
put -32bit and/or -directx90 in your launch options. again, the -directx90 could well be -dx9 or -directx9, or some other spelling.
 
The 32bit extension doesnt seem to make a difference. May try DX9 next.

Edit:
DX9 has no effect either.
 
ah glad i rechecked this thread, was beginning to think i was the only one and was carrying out loads of tests and timers and realised i have no clue whats causing it, not the memory, not the cpu not the hotfix drivers (as opposed to normal 8.10), i havent tried setting the manual fan control to 45% yet, so far ive left it on auto
 
Same problem with crashing to the desktop.

Phenom 9950
ATI 4870
MSI k9a2 Platinum
4 gigs ram @ 1066
Windows XP64
ATI hotfix driver

I also experience lag/stutter with smoke or if I crash into another car. It also happened when I crashed into a pile of 8 or so barrels.
 
to deal with this issue i have done some testing i do beleive it is a memory leak issue. but to my surprise if i have bionc running then go play the game with everything set to max i do not have anycrashes played for 2 hrs no issues where as before i would run 20- 60 min then flash to desk top or even just freeze. so as a temp fix untill a patch comes out to repair this run boinc. if u do not have here is a link to my team and instruction.
www.team-muskoka.com have fun playing;)
 
oh my specs are qx6700 oc to 3.2 4gb corsair ram 4870x2 vista 64 ultra danger den water coolling tt 1200 watt psu 6 drives home made case 3d06 mark 17985
 
im having the crash too with a 4870 X2, and i have the new 8.11 Drivers installed, same thing happens on both Vista64 and Vista32...it sux really, my only solution is to hit F5 (Quick Save) every now and then...
 
No CTD's, thought I do get artifacting when OCing my card.

q6600, 4870x2, 4gig, vista64.

Game usually runs 60-80 fps, 1920x1080, 2aa edge-detect, everything completely maxed.
 
I have precisely the same problem too with Farcry2 and also with World In Conflict. Screen flashes black and then I'm in windows like I never left.

Everything is at stock speeds in my PC and temperatures are all low.

Ironically, this is the reason I avoided ATI for the last 10 years, but I was seduced by the 4870x2. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a bitter relationship.

Update - Ok, the more I read, the more I realise this crash isn't unique to ATI. People have reported the same or worse crashes on a selection of systems in DX10.. and either no crashes or system fragging ones in DX9 mode.

The only suggestion I've found so far is to disable visual themes as a compatibility mode option for the game exe. I'll try that when I can next suck up the courage for another CTD session.
 
I also get a crash to desktop after about a hour of FarCry 2 game play. The game loads up just fine after the crash but will crash after about an hour.

1920x1200, DirectX 10, 4XAA, every other setting maxed out.

Visiontek 4870X2 (stock) with 8.11 drivers
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Corsair 750TX PSU
4GB RAM
e8400 (stock)
Asus Maximus Formula

I also sometimes get artifacts. Like red dots or red flashes. Sometimes I see rectangular black shapes flash on the screen. Other times there are no artifacts. I see the similar red flashes or dots in Crysis and Bioshock. I'm starting to think my video card might have a defect. I don't see artifacts in Valve games such as HL2 or Left 4 Dead or Command & Conquer 3.
 
I am having very much the same problems with Far Cry 2 I see people describing here. I would not say it is regular as "every hour or so" - for me it may be after many hours or after as little as 10 minutes. I have had times where I have gotten red and blue spots flashing on screen, more often though I see some black rectangles before the exit to desktop...sometimes there is no corruption, just the exit to desktop. It feels to me that once I restart the game from a crash it is a bit more likely to crash sooner...I also feel like is most likely to crash during driving segments.

I always run the game in DX10, I haven't tried DX9 but I will. I am under Vista 64 (all updates) with a Diamond 4870x2 OC (Catalyst 8.11) on a QX9650 CPU with 4GB of RAM. I have run MemTest 86+ and Prime 95 for days and the machine is stable. I have started using RivaTuner 2.20 with auto fan controls to keep the GPU running cooler, which did not really help the problem (although I have never seen any colored dots before the crash in Far Cry 2 now.)

My system plays pretty much all other games with no problems (and I am a heavy gamer) - Stalker Clear Sky, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Left4Dead, CoD 4 with zero glitches, and I run DX10 whenever I can. However, with Fallout 3 (which I played for 80+ ish hours) did exhibit the same behavior after the 1.0.0.15 patch - very random & infrequent hangs that did not require a reboot. The Fallout issue may be related to a known video codec problem, but I was unable to really resolve it before finishing the game.

So in some ways it is good to see others with the same issues - I was starting to fear my card was uniquely defective. If this is a common problem, perhaps it can be fixed with a driver update.

-0xf00d
 
I have had times where I have gotten red and blue spots flashing on screen, more often though I see some black rectangles before the exit to desktop...sometimes there is no corruption, just the exit to desktop. It feels to me that once I restart the game from a crash it is a bit more likely to crash sooner...I also feel like is most likely to crash during driving segments.

-0xf00d

You described almost exactly the problem(s) I was having. That's good news I guess. Maybe as you say it's a driver problem. I tried Direct X 9 and I thought it solved it but after spending a few hours playing the game it started exhibiting almost the same symptoms as before.

When I disabled HDR the red & blue spots and the black rectangles went away. The game hasn't crashed since and I've spent several hours playing on several occasions. I am running Direct X 9 4XAA, everything else maxed out (with exception of HDR).

Try disabling HDR and see if it helps.

Edit: I had said I was now running Direct X 10 but that's a lie because if Direct X 10 is selected HDR can't be disabled.
 
Just out of curiosity, what motherboard and power supply are you running 0xf00d?

I have a Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 motherboard (f9 BIOS I believe) with a PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W power supply. The whole thing is in an Antec 900 case, with craploads of cooling.

-0xf00d
 
I've had the same thing with hourly crashes. I do notice some slight stuttering right before the crash so can usually quick save :) I'm running 4870 cf, Vista 64, on an E8400. The only thing I've noticed is my CPU usage will spike to 100% for a second and then I'm at my desktop. Hope this helps someone.
 
Probably drivers, but Far Cry 2 has DRM and has known to cause bugs / other issues in games.
 
The only solution for me was to run DX9

I haven't tried Farcry 2 yet, but I just got a 4870x2 and noticed something with Fallout 3 that might be relevant.

With the settings in CCC's Anti-Aliasing:
use application settings: on
filter: edge detect
Framerate dipped from a steady 60fps@1920x1200@ultra settings to 30sh fps.

Changing filter: edge detect to filter: box framerate went up again.

On [H]'s review about the aa, they say:
"The CFAA filters are transparent to the application so they will work in essentially all cases. At the moment CFAA is supported in the DX9 and OpenGL drivers, and does not function in DX10 applications, but full DX10 support is coming very soon. In the case of DX10 applications if the developer writes their own custom AA filter (which is one of the new capabilities that developers have in DX10) then our custom filter will not be applied in order to guarantee that the developer gets the result that they wanted. An example of a DX10 game where the developer has written their own custom AA filter to improve image quality is Call of Juarez - in this title CFAA will not operate."
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUzMiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

It happens to you in DX10, but not DX9, so it might be worth investigating if this has any effect on FarCry 2 as well. :)
 
I had same problem on vista 64 and dx10. I installed win 7beta and never crashed in dx10. Then I installed and started crashing in dx10. Uninstalled vantage and still crashed. uninstalled vantage to check the system. Stilll crashed. Try to uninstall ageia drives from vantage install and windows crashed. Used system restore to get rid of ageia. Now it doesn't crash. See if this might apply to you. HTH
 
I have this problem too. Doing a little reading, it does not seem unique to ATI users, but someone on ATI's forums said it's a problem with Intel CPUs.... I would imagine certain chipsets would not have this problem or something of the like, or everyone would have it one would think?

I had another problem when I first ran the game that I also had in Fallout 3, which happened in a certain spot in the game, every single time I come there. My framerate would drop from 80+ fps to a solid 1 fps and my input would lag making it very hard to exit the game. Exiting and changing Catalyst AI to the value it was NOT set at (basically enabling Crossfire, a little Catalyst bug that still exists!) got rid of that.

Still crashes.

I removed my video card overclock and doubled the fan speed. Tried the 8.12 and 9.3 which are ATIs last 2 completely stable drivers -- excluding 9.5 as I haven't ran it long enough but it's certainly better than 9.4 (the 9.4 Vista driver is fine but the 9.4 XP driver is very unstable).

Turned off crossfire, and it still crashes. Usually it's after 10-20 minutes only.... I've also got stuck in several rooms at the start of missions and whatnot.

I'm uninstalling the game for now. When about 6 more patches arrive, I'll consider giving it another look, but as it is the game is quite easily the buggiest game I have ever seen.
 
Back
Top