• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Far Cry 2, 4870X2 Flopped Again

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 6, 2006
Messages
1,141
What is going on !!! I first bought this card to play Crysis, The card flopped. wanted to play Crysis Warhead, Flopped. Now, FC 2 should be playing butter smooth but it is'nt, and all this time the 280 gtx is still kicking it's ass. WTH !!! Oh, I forgot to mention that COD 4 plays silky smooth :rolleyes: ATI you make me CRY. <sings the blues>
 
Don't the AMD drivers need updating every time a new game is released kind of thing?
 
Probably so, but it is still aggravating to know the potential is there. When you start gaming with the new titles that just got released and have to wait to play them at good framerates, that's frustrating. Meanwhile the Nvidia camp is happy as, ______. You fill in the blank.
 
What is going on !!! I first bought this card to play Crysis, The card flopped. wanted to play Crysis Warhead, Flopped. Now, FC 2 should be playing butter smooth but it is'nt, and all this time the 280 gtx is still kicking it's ass. WTH !!! Oh, I forgot to mention that COD 4 plays silky smooth :rolleyes: ATI you make me CRY. <sings the blues>

umm did you try the hot fix? Cause the hot fix makes the 4870 x2 kick the gtx 280s ass haha
 
Im running it with my 4870x2 with the ati patch and it works awesome. I have everything either high or very high , decent frame rate.
 
ya, the benches online have showed the hotfix to make a big impact with a single 4870x2
 
Interesting that you are blaming ATI but judging by your post and the poor performance suffered in crysis that it may be your system at fault or more likely being too optimistic about performance, Crysis works fine for me, 19 x 12, 4 x AA very high completely playable.

Haven't tried far cry 2 but i am sure mysteriously it will be fine even with the flop that is the X2.
 
What is going on !!! I first bought this card to play Crysis, The card flopped. wanted to play Crysis Warhead, Flopped. Now, FC 2 should be playing butter smooth but it is'nt, and all this time the 280 gtx is still kicking it's ass. WTH !!! Oh, I forgot to mention that COD 4 plays silky smooth :rolleyes: ATI you make me CRY. <sings the blues>

If you switched from nvidia recently, hope you took the long hard way of wiping out all the nvidia drivers through control panel and driver cleaner both in normal and safe mode. Maybe also try doing a clean install of win xp again? Lastly 4870x2 just doesnt alway work well on older mobos that sport pcie 1.1 x16 instead of the newer pcie 2.0 slots. I guess when you've got a card that at peak is capable of over two teraflops you need all the pcie bandwidth you can get.
 
What would the processing power of the gfx card have to do with the information being sent back and forth through the interconnect?
 
Playing on Ultra High @ 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAF silky smooth
Ran the bench tool and avg fps was 62 on long ranch
 
Probably so, but it is still aggravating to know the potential is there. When you start gaming with the new titles that just got released and have to wait to play them at good framerates, that's frustrating. Meanwhile the Nvidia camp is happy as, ______. You fill in the blank.

You made me laugh.
So your card has the potential but instead of using the newer drivers to get that potential, you make a forum post bitching that it doesnt run fast enough.
The world spins in funny directions :)
 
Actually the newest Nvidia drivers were causing issues as well when it first came out. Some people on another forum had to go back to the older drivers,

The hotfix goes in super easy , 1 reboot and your game works so much better. Im hoping it helps Fallout 3 as well.
 
I just played thru crysis,after patching to the version 1.2 to fix the flicker issue the game ran smooth @1920x1200 high detail on all settings,dx10,all the way until the last boss battle when it slowed to chugging enough that I dropped the resolution
is a good looking game and the the 4870x2 runs it smooth with the 8.10 cats but the last battle needs the next gen card to be played smooth at the 1920x1200 and above res.
I've read warhead has the same power needs
 
You made me laugh.
So your card has the potential but instead of using the newer drivers to get that potential, you make a forum post bitching that it doesnt run fast enough.
The world spins in funny directions :)

Lots of people have more fun whining about their hardware/games more than playing. :p
 
I'm getting 50-70 fps during hectic fights 16x AF 4X AA, even with edge detect.

Pretty good.

Lowest frames I have seen are in the town of Pala, around 35-45.
 
The system in my sig plays Far Cry 2 @ 1920x1080 2xAA 16xAF everything maxed with about 40-50fps avg. That is plenty for me...for now. I would love to get SLi GTX290's when they come out.
 
I have everything on DX10, ultra high, 2XAA, 1920x1080. Beautiful and incredibly smooth on the 4870X2. The game has some issues with full screen mode, but aside from that it's running like a dream on my system.

At first I didn't think the graphics were as good as Crysis, when I had everytyhing on the default quality settings. Changing it to overall Ultra High, DX10 made the game look so much better thatn before, now about on par with Crysis. My only complaint about the graphics is the sky at night is really bandy.
 
The Hotfix is only for Crossfire configs. Not the single 4870X2 in XP. Correct me if I'm wrong.

4870 x2 is running Crossfire, just on the cards hardware, but the drivers take advantage of this is improves performance dramatically. So i'd suggest you go install those and be in awe in the graphics spectacle :)
 
What is going on !!! I first bought this card to play Crysis, The card flopped. wanted to play Crysis Warhead, Flopped. Now, FC 2 should be playing butter smooth but it is'nt, and all this time the 280 gtx is still kicking it's ass. WTH !!! Oh, I forgot to mention that COD 4 plays silky smooth :rolleyes: ATI you make me CRY. <sings the blues>

Sorry - you bought an ATI Crossfire solution to play Crysis? Are you stupid?
 
Sorry - you bought an ATI Crossfire solution to play Crysis? Are you stupid?

4870x2 is the best card out there for Crysis no doubt so stupid - no. Able to get his rig working - also no.

People tend to blame the last installed item, usually the vide card.
 
I'd call buying a flaky SLI mobo to run Crysis more stupid than an Intel mobo with ATI CF cards. That was my decision when I had to make it, anyway.
 
Playing on Ultra High @ 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAF silky smooth
Ran the bench tool and avg fps was 62 on long ranch

I don't understand. I benched it last night with hotfix, Ultra High, 1920x1200, 2xAA, and got an average of 43 fps. The only thing I can see different from you guys is my Q6600 is only running at a stock speed of 2.4ghz. Do I need to overclock to increase my frames? Very weird.
 
I just installed the Hotfix. 65 fps avg in FC 2. Not bad. Sorry for the rant. Lets hope Fallout 3 runs just as good. <crosses fingers>
 
I don't understand. I benched it last night with hotfix, Ultra High, 1920x1200, 2xAA, and got an average of 43 fps. The only thing I can see different from you guys is my Q6600 is only running at a stock speed of 2.4ghz. Do I need to overclock to increase my frames? Very weird.

Yes, that will be the reason.
 
I am getting great performance when the card doesn't take a dump and throw up artifacts. Couldn't ask for it to be more smooth on a 60hz monitor.;)
 
I did the following and it's MUCH smoother on my 4870X2:

Vsync ON
Mouse Smoothing ON
*** In the CCC make sure the AA is set to Application Specified AND box. I had it on Edge Detect (still with Application Specified) and got "lag". With the AA set to box it was MUCH smoother.
 
Don't the AMD drivers need updating every time a new game is released kind of thing?

Yeah this is the big drawback with the 4870X2 and even more so with the upcoming 4850X2 which will be as slow as a regular 4850 in games with poor crossfire support. In non-mainstream games as well as in recently released games and Nvidia TWIMTBP games, the X2 cards will not be used to their full potential.

It shouldn't have to be so hard to make a dual GPU card scale. I mean the GPU is already highly paralell. It's made up of hundreds of simple processors in paralell but for some reason, once those processors are distributed over two cores, you suddenly need "profiles" and driver optimizations...Why is that?
 
Not sure, ATI have tried to remove this by forcing AFR mode as well as other measures but it just does not seem to want to work.
 
I don't know what the squawking is all about but my crysis single 4850 vs 4850CF is night and day. It's about 50% faster in crossfire mode. You guys are doing something wrong if you don't see huge increases in crysis with crossfire enabled. I get 100% scaling in games like cod2 and cod4 but 50% is nothing to sneeze at. I have yet to buy farcry2 and test it. I'm actually still on the fence when it comes to fc2. Looks too serious sammish to me.
 
I don't know what the squawking is all about but my crysis single 4850 vs 4850CF is night and day. It's about 50% faster in crossfire mode. You guys are doing something wrong if you don't see huge increases in crysis with crossfire enabled. I get 100% scaling in games like cod2 and cod4 but 50% is nothing to sneeze at. I have yet to buy farcry2 and test it. I'm actually still on the fence when it comes to fc2. Looks too serious sammish to me.

Right, so you have no experience of Farcry 2 :rolleyes:
 
The thread is more about the number of games that are not running as good on the 4870x2, not just far cry 2.

Understood but he did ask "what the squawking is all about" while implying that no one else should have problems because he doesnt.
He is not in a position to comment on the stability/performance of FarCry 2 because he hasnt used it.
 
Isn't this a problem with Crytek's crappy, poorly coded game engine? and not the other way around? Every game out there gets owned by the 4870x2 except crysis and far cry 2. That should tell you something.
 
Right, so you have no experience of Farcry 2 :rolleyes:

My post was re: this guys post and his comment about using crossfire with crysis.

Sorry - you bought an ATI Crossfire solution to play Crysis? Are you stupid?

As I said before, if he is not seeing any gains in crysis with crossfire then he is doing somethign wrong or is relying on inaccurate info. What does farcry2 have to do with my response to his quote? I'm sure farcry2 runs great on crossfire as well, especially after the hotfix drivers. I'll check it out soon enough but the ONLY games that I have tried that show no performance increase in crossfire are the tomb raider games and flight sim 2004. Every single fps game that I have here shows significant frame rate improvements in crossfire.
 
Back
Top