FAQ for Emachines M6805

Did you try turning there card on? You have to press Fn + F2.. the blue ((e)) logo will turn on below your touchpad.

Hi, I'm really interested in buying the M6805 or one of the relative models, but my primary concern is really just performance, and I was wondering if anyone had a link to a review where there were some memory benchmarks and cpu benchmarks run, just for comparitive purposes to benchmarks I can run on my desktop pc. I know its fast, especially for a notebook, but I really need to make sure that this is an upgrade from my home pc, because I just really need the performance, I'm looking to take this back to school with me in the fall rather than lugging my desktop, monitor and all.

edit.. guess I haven't been here in a while.. my old account is gone :eek:

eGabe said:
Did you try turning there card on? You have to press Fn + F2.. the blue ((e)) logo will turn on below your touchpad.

Just picked up an M6805 this week...added 7200rpm drive and 1GB stick in the user-accessible slot. Overclocks to 2.0 GHz and the video card to 400/220. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with it.

Only question I have right now... is it normal to have to do the Fn+F2 thing every time you start up? Any way to make it 'remember' to go ahead and turn on the radio at startup? My old compaq has a hardware button for the integrated wi-fi, and it stays on until you hit the button again, even after a reboot.

EDIT: Nevermind...found the option in the BIOS.

I was searching for the M6811 and came across this on the AMD forum:

"... Or I can settle for what I have now, hope WereShark posts an in-depth detail how
to open this case up, since I've tried taking all the screws out, and haven't figured it out
yet since it seems like it's attached to something in the center area it seems almost, and
can't get to whatever it is without risk of breaking something. But if I can get details on
accessing the internal parts, I have no problem taking it apart and upgrading later myself,
once processors drop down and I can boost my ram up. Though I did inquire at Best Buy &
CompUSA both, and they said since both are authorized repair centers, they will replace
the internal stick of ram for me, and this should avoid the warranty voidance. ..."

The key here is: " Though I did inquire at Best Buy & CompUSA both, and they said since
both are authorized repair centers, they will replace the internal stick of ram for me, and
this should avoid the warranty voidance."

I just got off the phone with Tim at the Rochester, NY Best Buy, and he said that
it is correct that they can upgrade the internal memory without voiding the Emachines
warranty.

-Dan

PS- I'm sorry if this is something that has been covered earlier in this thread. I read through
almost all the posts from the beginning and do not recall this being covered.

just got the m6805 yesterday and reformatted and put xp pro sp1 on there! i put the newest omegas on there and was able to overclocked my 9600 to 457/240. i managed to score over 12000 3dmarks! i love this laptop.

sokodude said:
i put the newest omegas on there and was able to overclocked my 9600 to 457/240. i managed to score over 12000 3dmarks! i love this laptop.

Cool. :cool: I just got the M6809 a couple of days ago, and I plan on installing the new omegas and overclocking the 9600 too. I've been reading around in forums with other M680x owners who have overclocked the video card, and in comparison, you seem to have gotten yours pretty high.

But before I do it, I'm going to get the Evercool NP-101 notebook cooler. I've read reviews on it and people seem to really like it, and I was wondering, has anyone on these forums used it? If so, how did you like it? I'm going to buy the thing no matter what but I'd just like to see what some others thought of it.

But yeah, this laptop is awesome. I've been playing FarCry on it for the past couple of days with some of the settings at high and it still runs fine. The only problem with it is that it's too good; I'm always taking a cloth and obsessively cleaning the fingerprints off of it.

The easiest way to change what the 6 keys by the power button launch is using TweakUI.

Startup tweakui and then go to explorer->command keys. Click in the command keys box and then just press the one that you want to change. It will auto select the appropriate button. Next hit change and there is an option to browse to the application that you want to launch.

Only thing I would like to know is if there is a way to make it so you can have one of the buttons mute the volume. Right now the way to mute is pressing both the up and down volume buttons, but I would rather just set it to the middle button. Since the tweakui way only lets you choose a program to run that doesn't really help me out. So if anyone has any ides let me know.

( m6807 ) for the time i used clock gen, it stayed up at what i set it for a day, now it resets to original settings , i use

[CG-ICS950403]
VID=1.4
FID=9
FSB=223

how do i make them stay so i would not have to do it by puting it in the start up folder?

has anyone got a bug fix for this issue: no matter if i shutdown, hybernate or suspend, the wifi will reconect to service is available. But it will only let the web work if i connect after a full reboot, or if i had it running after a reboot. if i connect and use explorer or netscrap after resuming from hybernation or suspend, all bets are off and i get the white dns error screen of internet doom... help. :confused:

They paid my wife $250 to take an m6805. :eek:

Back in November, we were having problems with our Toshiba Satellite S-something (Toshiba makes great laptops by the way) because the DVD/CDR stopped working. We had originally purchased the 3 year warranty and here it was year 2. They never called us when they got it back from the repair center. We didn't notice because we were borrowing my brother's much more current Toshiba. In February, when we finally called and asked about it, they had entered the wrong address for us (their own store address) and subsequently tossed the thing as it was obsolete... good thing I encrypted those pictures... :D

Long story short: we picked the best one there which was in the price range of what we paid for the original and they gave it to us. My wife didn't like the idea of paying them to replace a laptop they lost so we didn't purchase the warranty this time. After rebates we paid Best Buy a total of -$250. ;)

--------------
Regarding the talk of wireless legallity:
If the connection is unencrypted, it is completely legal to use it. This is because of a cross between a federal law mandating that any radio transmitted broadcast be treated as public domain for the purposes of recording and playback (brought about by the Sony Betamax case, I believe) and another federal law stating that accepting an encrypted transmission without the broadcaster's consent is illegal (brought about by cable and satellite providers).

Is there any way someone can post some screen shots from some generic sisoft memory benchs? I'm definatly looking to buy this laptop, just curious to how the pc2700 performs.

The latest Omegas and Hyperions worked fine on my m6805. I would venture to guess that any problems arising from these not working could be solved by a windows update or a reinstall. Also, make sure you are set to full administrative priviledges for installation. Some drivers won't install without administrative priviledges and some of those won't warn you that you don't have priviledges. I know for a fact that the omegas don't warn you as I've run into that before. :cool:

I'll post some screenies when I get home.

By the way:
Does anyone know the model of sensor chip the m6805/7/9 uses. Motherboard monitor says that there isn't one, but if that is truly the case, then how can the CPU and GPU downclock on high temp... unless that logic is built into the chips in which case that's how...
:confused:

Sisoft Memory & Cache Benchmark
Sisoft Memory Benchmark

Here's the benchmark results for the memory test:

SiSoftware Sandra

Benchmark Results
RAM Bandwidth Int Buff'd iSSE2 : 2441MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float Buff'd iSSE2 : 2438MB/s

Int Buff'd iSSE2 (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 2444MB/s
Scaling : 2443MB/s
Addition : 2445MB/s
Triad : 2434MB/s
Data Item Size : 16-bytes
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 212% (estimated)

Float Buff'd iSSE2 (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 2439MB/s
Scaling : 2439MB/s
Addition : 2446MB/s
Triad : 2431MB/s
Data Item Size : 16-bytes
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 212% (estimated)

Performance Test Status
Run ID : POCKET_DRAGON on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 6:06:48 PM
Memory Used by Test : 255MB
NUMA Support : No
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 1
SMT Test : No
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : P0
Page Size : 4kB
Use Large Memory Pages : No

Chipset 1
Model : VIA Technologies Inc Apollo K8HTB CPU to PCI Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 356MHz (712MHz data rate)
In/Out Width : 16-bit / 16-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 2848MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks

Chipset 2
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 356MHz (712MHz data rate)
In/Out Width : 16-bit / 16-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 2848MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 2 Memory Banks
Bank 0 : 128MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-3CL 1CMD
Bank 1 : 128MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-3CL 1CMD
Bank 2 : 128MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-3CL 1CMD
Bank 3 : 128MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-3CL 1CMD
Channels : 1
Bank Interleave : 4-way
Speed : 2x 72MHz (144MHz data rate)
Width : 64-bit
Maximum Memory Bus Bandwidth : 1152MB/s (estimated)

Features
(W)MMX Technology : Yes
SSE Technology : Yes
SSE2 Technology : Yes
SSE3 Technology : No
EMMX - Extended MMX Technology : Yes
HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : No

Performance Tips
Notice 5008 : To change benchmarks, click Options.
Notice 5004 : Synthetic benchmark. May not tally with 'real-life' performance.
Notice 5006 : Only compare the results with ones obtained using the same version!
Tip 233 : Consider using the Win64 AMD64/EM64T version of Sandra.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.

Thank you very much for your reply optimus, I know those generic bench's suck.. but curiousity got the best of me. The information you posted definatly was sufficient, but just to let you know the images aren't loading for me.

"Bandwidth efficiency : %212"
weird... I've never seen anything like that before.

I have a question about playing games in standard resolution: How do these wide screen displays do standard resolutions like 10x7? Does it stretch it to fit the widescreen or will there be empty screen space?

Yeah, I don't know how Sisoft calculates the bandwidth but that clearly can't be right...

The memory image is really just graphs of the information I pasted. The memory & cache image is something slightly different though. It's wierd, I can get the images at work... ah, the server was having problems last night, but they should be fine now. My host provider usually does maintenance outside of business hours (EST).

Does anyone else have an issue with the wi-fi losing connection when the laptop is closed?

I've got the unit sitting about 8 feet from my router, constant 5 bar signal that never wavers. If I set it down and close the lid, when I reopen it I have to wait while it acquires the signal again, and if I've left Outlook open I have errors where it's tried to check email but can't. This is with the unit plugged in, the power routine set to home/desktop, and all the stuff set to never shut off, hibernation disabled.

I dug around in the properties and found an option where the Broadcom adapter can be shut down to save power by Windows, which I disabled. I also found an option under the adapter properties for power saving mode, which I disabled. I thought that would take care of it but it didn't.

We can't even get the Wifi working!

We've tried pressing Fn+F2, turning on the radio with the software, turning off our Norton and Windows firewalls and antivirus, everything.

I've posted this problem b4...Could someone plz help?

I can't remember the BIOS key. I want to say that it's F12 or something similarly off the wall. I would suggest rebooting and running your fingers down the F-keys on boot up. There is a setting in the BIOS to turn Wifi on and I think there's a setting to disable power control on the Wifi device. I had to change the BIOS settings to get my Wifi working.

MadSkills said:
We can't even get the Wifi working!

We've tried pressing Fn+F2, turning on the radio with the software, turning off our Norton and Windows firewalls and antivirus, everything.

I've posted this problem b4...Could someone plz help?

Does the light show up in the bar below?

blankman said:
I have a question about playing games in standard resolution: How do these wide screen displays do standard resolutions like 10x7? Does it stretch it to fit the widescreen or will there be empty screen space?

It will either stretch, or leave black bars. you control that in the display control panel.

stevenmh said:
Does anyone else have an issue with the wi-fi losing connection when the laptop is closed?

I'.....

Suspend. You're going into it probably. You remember to turn that off?

I_Need_Money said:
...I'm going to get the Evercool NP-101 notebook cooler. I've read reviews on it and people seem to really like it, and I was wondering, has anyone on these forums used it? If so, how did you like it? I'm going to buy the thing no matter what but I'd just like to see what some others thought of it...
I use an NP-101 all the time with my 6805 when using it at home. I do my work on the computer and the compiles keep it under almost constant load; and if I'm not working, I'm playing Far Cry or Call of Duty. I also like to surf the web and/or do research while lying in bed (all laptops get extremely hot setting on blankets because it covers the cooling ports and/or fans).

The NP-101 does a great job of keeping the laptop cool and reducing the mean temperature. The fans only run under the most severe stress (up to my eyeballs in baddies in Far Cry and the 1.75+ hour compiles). While in bed, I can have the laptop sitting on my lap without having to worry about the blanket causing heat buildup.

I actually feel that I wouldn't need the cooler except while in bed; but even normal laptop heat can cause heat stress over long periods of time, and the more heat that you can dissipate the less trouble you will have in the long run. I highly recommend a cooler for most laptop use.

I especially recommend the NP-101 due to its side discharging cooling ports. This allows you to use the cooler on both hard and soft surfaces. Some models of coolers have bottom exhausts for their fans. This is bad because when you have the laptop on a soft surface (your lap, blankets in bed, etc) you basically block 100% of your cooling air flow.

Just my $.02 worth.

i did a search and couldnt find it so....whats the price on this badboy?

Hello I am a proud M6805 user but I really have one big problem with it; when I am connected to the internet in certain networks, some programs like photoshop or ms office run poorly, constantly crashing and taking lots of time to do certain tasks. Does anyone share this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanx a bunch,
Dave

This sounds like a bad software install. If I were you, I would start over and see if the problem manifests itself again.

Dave said:
Hello I am a proud M6805 user but I really have one big problem with it; when I am connected to the internet in certain networks, some programs like photoshop or ms office run poorly, constantly crashing and taking lots of time to do certain tasks. Does anyone share this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanx a bunch,
Dave

lopoetve said:
Suspend. You're going into it probably. You remember to turn that off?

I shut off suspend on close. This happens to mine too, when it goes into suspend (on battery) the wifi totally shuts down. I have to hit fn+f2 for it to refind the network.

Cheech said:
I shut off suspend on close. This happens to mine too, when it goes into suspend (on battery) the wifi totally shuts down. I have to hit fn+f2 for it to refind the network.

I guess that happens to me too... I can't remember.

Question. Does anyone know if its possible to get bluetooth installed internally on the M68xx series laptops or are you stuck with having to use a PCMCIA card if you want bluetooth on your M68xx?

bluetooth isnt an option internally. i just purchased a small usb bluetooth dongle from dlink and it does not stick out much at all.

I talked with Emachiens tech support regarding cracked hindges. They state they are recalling laptops with cracked hindges. They will be replacing the hindges and maybe the LCD, but he didn't know if they had to do that aswell. He states that he is unable to set up the RMA as of right now due to a back order of the replacement parts. He told me to call in 3 weeks.

jenus said:
I talked with Emachiens tech support regarding cracked hindges. They state they are recalling laptops with cracked hindges. They will be replacing the hindges and maybe the LCD, but he didn't know if they had to do that aswell. He states that he is unable to set up the RMA as of right now due to a back order of the replacement parts. He told me to call in 3 weeks.

That sound good to me, mine is cracked. I just wouldn't want my LCD replaced since I have no dead pixels.

no one has posted superpi benchmakrs. i'd like to see how the DTR holds up to centrino laptops as far as processing power is considered. anyone have any numbers or links? i'm planning on buying the 3200+ model.

check out gamepc.com....they did a really good reivew a little while back where they compared the new dothans with the a64 DTR processors.

mine is nice... got the 5400 on a 6805. gonna get new ram later on... it got a stuck pixel in shipping, so hopefully my hinges crack, so i can get a new screen... lol. the keyboard on mine also died... fixed it in 3 days (emachines did) the 4 5 r t f g v and b keys just flat out died.

Can anyone zip up the drivers on the 3rd CD and send them to me? My 3rd CD is missing in action, and my DVD/CDRW drivers just got corrupted for some screwed up reason.

email is jeff@binaryshower*nospam* dot com

sKum said:
i did a search and couldnt find it so....whats the price on this badboy?
sKum,
were you asking me about the evercool NP-101? or were you referring to another message?

i'm thinking of getting m6805 but as I looked it has 1.8 ghz. Is that kind of old? if not, will it be good for another 2 years.and can I play the latest games on it?

Can I get it customized?

thanks

Back