Fans

AORUS

Limp Gawd
Most cases on the market have fans in the front of the case to suck air in. But how far can a Corsair HD120mm RGB High static pressure fan suck air into a case, if the fan is not at the front/bottom?

I have a 280 aio with one fan at the back end of the 5.25 bay to suspend it mid-case and I can always feel it pulling fresh air in the front( I covered the bays in steel mesh). but that is due to the drive bay acting as a shroud. without a shroud I'd say keep it within an inch or so and it will still suck in outside air. try it and see.

I have a 280 aio with one fan at the back end of the 5.25 bay to suspend it mid-case and I can always feel it pulling fresh air in the front( I covered the bays in steel mesh). but that is due to the drive bay acting as a shroud. without a shroud I'd say keep it within an inch or so and it will still suck in outside air. try it and see.

Thanks for the reply but my case is the tower 900 if the fans can't draw up the air I will change it,

BTW you got a AIO are they better than air? also do they leak!

An exhaust fan will draw air from all the openings in the case (relative to how open they are and how unobstructed the air path is from them to the fan) to the fan and out the case. An intake fan will suck air in from where ever it's located and send it out all the openings in the same proportions as the other way around except that there will be a blown area behind it where most of the airs pushed before slowing down and spreading out.

An intake fan in the front bottom and the main outflow opening at the top will generally have a breeze at the bottom in front of the fan itself and air being pushed out the top. Since hot air rises that will generally work to get all the residual heat out of your case and have some level of airflow through the entire volume. If you have specific hot spots you might want additional cooling in that area; this's more likely to be an issue with water cooling and lower total airflow since conventional CPU coolers tend to generate breezes on the mobo to cool the ram/VRMs/etc.

Thanks for the reply but my case is the tower 900 if the fans can't draw up the air I will change it,

BTW you got a AIO are they better than air? also do they leak!
its much better than most low-mid grade heatsinks. I haven't had any leaks from the three I have/use BUT I did have a really old h60 that got a clog and stopped flowing. so I tore it apart and unclogged it and it still works fine, no leaks.

An exhaust fan will draw air from all the openings in the case (relative to how open they are and how unobstructed the air path is from them to the fan) to the fan and out the case. An intake fan will suck air in from where ever it's located and send it out all the openings in the same proportions as the other way around except that there will be a blown area behind it where most of the airs pushed before slowing down and spreading out.

An intake fan in the front bottom and the main outflow opening at the top will generally have a breeze at the bottom in front of the fan itself and air being pushed out the top. Since hot air rises that will generally work to get all the residual heat out of your case and have some level of airflow through the entire volume. If you have specific hot spots you might want additional cooling in that area; this's more likely to be an issue with water cooling and lower total airflow since conventional CPU coolers tend to generate breezes on the mobo to cool the ram/VRMs/etc.

My case was design to only take one 120/140 mm fan in the centre of the case for air flow But I change it by adding all three 120mm with High static pressure fans, at the bottom normally design to take water cooling is empty, so nothing obstructed the air flow I was thinking about changing my CPU air cooler for a AIO/watercooling the EK-KIT, but I have no experience on it or how to build it. the reason why I change my mind about water cooling was I was worried that the three fans I install was not given me better air flow, a cross the board plus I want to change my large heat sink on the CPU the dark rock pro3 for something better I am not into OC at this time.

I have seen some nice new setups with AIO/water cooling but the WC looks better and I am a bit worried if I do change from air to WC it might leak the same for AIO.

its much better than most low-mid grade heatsinks. I haven't had any leaks from the three I have/use BUT I did have a really old h60 that got a clog and stopped flowing. so I tore it apart and unclogged it and it still works fine, no leaks.

So you must have the Corsair if I do go with AIO it also will be Corsair

yup h110i gt. its on a [email protected] keeps it ~70c with only 60% fan under a full load.

I read somewhere H100i outperforms the DRP 3 by 4°C (just over 6%). but a AIO looks better than a large heatsink hanging off the motherboard, I will have to change it at some point because I want to have AIO/water cool now I have read up and learn more about WC, EK-kits it might be more penny's then AIO but at this time I am still learning about WC, but what put me off WC in the first place was you have to change the coolant every six months and clean the parts every year but I learned that is not true it just down to "personal preferences" and yes I did say it many times on this forum I will not do WC in my case, but after reading about WC it makes some sense, and it will be quieter and cooler then now.

The only place I can install an AIO is at the front top for a 120mm rad or 360mm at the front centre HHD cage but if I water cool I can install the rad at the back in the T900 but to build a WC I have no experience so the EK- kits after reading is a better choice to learn but at this time I can't make up my mind what is better.

Yar I'm on the fence about installing one of those watercooling kits. I like the expansion possibilities over an aio.

Currently use a h115 aio and I do find it a bit loud but I haven't tried replacing the stock fans.

With that said I like the look of a massive heatsink versus a waterblock. Something very muscle car about it. It's case compatibility that's made me move to an aio.

On a side note, it's too bad they didn't make pc heatsinks bigger, your case could easily swallow up a heatsink the size of a newborn baby!

Yar I'm on the fence about installing one of those watercooling kits. I like the expansion possibilities over an aio.

Currently use a h115 aio and I do find it a bit loud but I haven't tried replacing the stock fans.With that said I like the look of a massive heatsink versus a waterblock. Something very muscle car about it. It's case compatibility that's made me move to an aio. On a side note, it's too bad they didn't make pc heatsinks bigger, your case could easily swallow up a heatsink the size of a newborn baby!

If they was to make heatsink bigger everyone will complain it too big for most normal pc cases and they wouldn't sale any but my case have too much room so it don't matter what I put into it I will never fill it, but I like that way having the extra room to play around in than a normal pc case.

I wish they made the heatsink name logo RGB and use gun metal paint that would be cool, don't get me wrong I like my Dark rock pro 3 heatsink but I have been with air for far too long now it time to change to something new that also looks cool and keeps you computer quiet & CPU cooler then I save up the penny's I will buy the EK-kit 360mm but I will leave my graphic card on it's own fans maybe in the next future build I will get an AIO graphic card and stay with water cooling only for the CPU as I don't fancy taken my graphic card apart just for water cooling.

Back