Fans start stop start and stop for each boot

Kerrith

n00b
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
7
What might be causing my PS fan, CPU fan, and case exhaust fan to start and run for 1-2 seconds and then stop and then start and run for another 1-2 seconds and stop and then stay on at the beginning of each boot? After this dance the fans stay on and it boots OK and I can run the Vista Ultimate OS for several hours.

I’ve RMA’d the MSI MOBO and the XFX graphics card and that hasn’t fixed the problem. I’ve runMemTest86 v.1.70 with no errors.

BIOS has been updated from v1.0 to v1.1

I’ve used Ultra’s Contact Us email address support@help.ultraproducts.com with three follow ups and they haven’t replied. I’m hard of hearing so their 1-800 is not the ideal for me.

Thanks,

Kerry

Components:

MOBO: MSI P35D3 (MS-7356)
Processor: INTEL Core 2 Duo E6850 3GHz FSB1333MHz 4M LGA775 w/fan
Memory: CORSAIR 2048MB (2x1024MB) DDR3 1066MHz PC8500 Dual-Channel Kit
Hard Drives: (2) Western Digital Raptor 74GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM HDDs w/16MB Buffer
CD/DVD drives: PLEXTOR PX-810SA/SW-BL 18X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW
Power Supply: ULTRA X3 600W Energy Efficient Modular ULT40073 Power Supply
Graphics Card: XFX Geforce 8600 GT Fatal1ty 256MB GDDR3 PCI Expr x16 Video Card
OS: Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
 
Some motherboards have a double boot issue which can sometimes be resolved by downloading the latest BIOS (although that is no guarantee). It happens on my mobo too and yeah, it's pretty annoying but there's not too much that you can do.
 
This has been periodically symptomatic of some MOBOs using Intel chipsets since at least as far back as the 925 chipsets. It is odd but I don't think it is a defect per se or a reason for an RMA. As suggested, try the latest bios.
 
Thanks Mike and vsboxerboy,

I should have mentioned that the RMA'd MOBO board arrived with the latest BIOS. If that were the main problem I could live with it. I was hoping posting here might yield a solution for the bigger problem for which MSI Forum members have run out of ideas.

The following identical behavior over a period of ten boots
happens after RMA'ing the MOBO and the graphics card.


Steps:
Turn off power via PS rocker switch
Unplug PS cord
Press CMOS button
plug in cord and turn on power to PS.
Press case start button.
Fans start and stop and restart 2 or 3 times
4 lines of nVidia version etc and then blank screen
repeats for four times
Screen displays CMOS setting wrong, F1, F2, etc.
Set date and time and load optimized defaults and F10
MSI splash screen
Vista loads
Shut down via Vista
Press case start button and I have to repeat the entire process again.

Once I'm in Vista I'm good to go. Because it took two weeks to RMA the XFX card Windows required lots of updates which it did and then prompted reboot to complete installing updates. I opted to reboot and had to do the CMOS dance all over again.
I tried the same process with both my Dell 30" and my ViewSonic 19" LCDs w/same results.

I'm open to suggestions.

Three emails (including followups) to Ultra power supply support and no reply at all in over two weeks:

MOBO: MSI P35D3 (MS-7356)
Processor: INTEL Core 2 Duo E6850 3GHz FSB1333MHz 4M LGA775 w/fan
Memory: CORSAIR 2048MB (2x1024MB) DDR3 1066MHz PC8500 Dual-Channel Kit
Hard Drives: (2) Western Digital Raptor 74GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM HDDs w/16MB Buffer
CD/DVD drives: PLEXTOR PX-810SA/SW-BL 18X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW
Power Supply: ULTRA X3 600W Energy Efficient Modular ULT40073 Power Supply
Graphics Card: XFX Geforce 8600 GT Fatal1ty 256MB GDDR3 PCI Expr x16 Video Card
OS: Vista Ultimate (32-bit)

Also, and here's the thread that describes all the steps recommended and taken to solve the problem.http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=111285.0
 
That sounds like it "could" be power related. To be sure the RAM is good, if you have not already, I'd suggest a few passes of Memtest. Also, can you remove all the non essential components and see if it still boots the same? Do you have a different PSU to test with?
 
I had the same problem, I tested everything and everything checked ok so I tore everything apart and reinstalled everything, problem solved, its never done it since this date. Upon further inspection I believe that somewhere I had a short, weather it was a semi loose cable (modular psu in a Matx case) or something metal touching something on the motherboard. If you hardware checks out you may want to start to look to this route, just check and recheck everything and make sure its connected properly.
 
This is going to sound funny however I have had it work a number of times now with non boot situations, double boot situations etc. The best part, it’s free and simple.

Turn off your computer, then power down the power supply using either the switch or simply unplugging it. Wait a moment or two and turn the PSU back on but don’t attempt to start the computer. Once you see the lights on the motherboard are on (showing your PSU is working) unplug the 24 pin motherboard connector from the board. (Yes, with the PSU still powered on). After another moment or two plug the 24 pin connector back in. After that then try to power up your computer.

The problem seems to exist primarily with Intel chipsets and multi rail PSUs. Take note that virtually all the big players in the PSU business have been busy switching back to single 12v buss PSUs.

This problem can crop up randomly, after a BIOS flash or reset or even a momentary loss of power to the computer.

To date I’ve done two abit and one msi board with 100% success.

Like I said, free and easy, if it works for you life is good.;)
 
Hi BillR,

Wow! I got all excited about your tip.

I tried it three times and there were two differences. The fans only stopped and started one time with each of the three tries, and, I didn't have to press the CMOS button after Vista shut down for any of the three tries. After shutting down Vista I'd press the case start button and I'd get the 4 lines of nVidia info and then "No Signal" and it would keep repeating until I held the power on button in for 5 secs. Then I'd unplug the PS cord and plug it back in and then unplug the 24-pin cord and press the power on button and the fans would start and stop and then the nVidia info and then the MSI logo and then the "CMOS setting are wrong etc." I'd F1 and reset the date and time and select "Load optimized defaults" and F10 and Vista would load. I got the same results three times.

Have you ever tried it with a P35D3 MOBO?

Darkstofknightz, I have torn down the whole board twice what with the RMA'd MOBO, to include of course reinstalling the processor with new thermal paste. The link above I provided describes that I've run the MemTest86 v1.70 with no errors and booted with just one stick and replaced that stick with the other etc. I've also done a barebones boot with the MOBO removed. Once I've successfully booted I've run Vista for several hours at least three times with no problems.

Thank you,

Kerry
 
Hi BillR,

Wow! I got all excited about your tip.

I tried it three times and there were two differences. The fans only stopped and started one time with each of the three tries, and, I didn't have to press the CMOS button after Vista shut down for any of the three tries. After shutting down Vista I'd press the case start button and I'd get the 4 lines of nVidia info and then "No Signal" and it would keep repeating until I held the power on button in for 5 secs. Then I'd unplug the PS cord and plug it back in and then unplug the 24-pin cord and press the power on button and the fans would start and stop and then the nVidia info and then the MSI logo and then the "CMOS setting are wrong etc." I'd F1 and reset the date and time and select "Load optimized defaults" and F10 and Vista would load. I got the same results three times.

Have you ever tried it with a P35D3 MOBO?

Darkstofknightz, I have torn down the whole board twice what with the RMA'd MOBO, to include of course reinstalling the processor with new thermal paste. The link above I provided describes that I've run the MemTest86 v1.70 with no errors and booted with just one stick and replaced that stick with the other etc. I've also done a barebones boot with the MOBO removed. Once I've successfully booted I've run Vista for several hours at least three times with no problems.

Thank you,

Kerry

Ok, so we changed things a bit, that might be good. Let me ask another stupid question, is your video card in the primary slot? And, what lines or message are you getting from nVIDIA?

Moving my EVGA 8 series card to another slot will give me a 4 line message as well.

I'll also note once I had the first double boot incident my windows install was totaled so for further testing I did a quickie second install over the first to get to a bootable condition..

Also, just for SSs and Gs don't use the BIOS reset button, unplug the psu and wait a few moments till everything on the board goes dark and use the jumper to for your reset.

If you notice this forum is full of similar complaints so I'm actually trying to quantify a cure so we can post it.

Luck
 
Hi BillR,

Yes the card is in the primary slot. I’ll write down the 4 lines of nVidia info the next time I’m at the MSI machine.

Re: “unplug the psu and wait a few moments till everything on the board goes dark and use the jumper to for your reset.” I got “unplug the PSU” but the P35D3 only has the CMOS reset button, no jumpers.

Re: "Have you ever tried it with a P35D3 MOBO?" I take it I'm the only P35D3 MOBO in town?

Kerry
 
Hi BillR,

Yes the card is in the primary slot. I’ll write down the 4 lines of nVidia info the next time I’m at the MSI machine.

Re: “unplug the psu and wait a few moments till everything on the board goes dark and use the jumper to for your reset.” I got “unplug the PSU” but the P35D3 only has the CMOS reset button, no jumpers.

Re: "Have you ever tried it with a P35D3 MOBO?" I take it I'm the only P35D3 MOBO in town?

Kerry

Yes, but I used the button, or pulled the onboard battery. I'm a big fan of the battery pull school of thought but then I'm and old guy lol.

Give that a shot if you would
 
HiBill,

Re: "Re: "Have you ever tried it with a P35D3 MOBO?" I take it I'm the only P35D3 MOBO in town?"

I removed the batt when I tested it, both for the original MOBO and the RMA'd one. Same results when I reinserted it.

Keep that thinking cap on. :)

Thanks,

Kerry
 
Hi Bill,

Re: "And, what lines or message are you getting from nVIDIA?"

G84 p402 SKU 0000 VGA BIOS
Version 60.84.35.00.10
Copyright 1996-2006 NVIDIA CORP
256MB RAM

Unless I press the CMOS button it just keeps displaying it for a minute and then "No Signal" indefinitely.

I found out that there was a more recent driver so I updated from v 163.69 to 163.75 but got the same results. XFX asked me to run Drive Cleaner for both ATI and nVidia and then clean install the nVidia diver from Safe mode which I did. It then asked reboot? which I did and I had to reset the CMOS, F1 etc.

Kerry
 
Back
Top