Fans 3 / 4 Pin Power Connector Question

Velocities

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I have a 120mm Fan, but it doesn't have a to Molex Power Connector, just the 3 Pin to plug in the Motherboard. I'm using the extra Power Connector from a 80mm Low RPM Scythe Fan. I was wondering if there is any different using the Power Connector from this low RPM 80mm fan versus the one from the 120mm? Will it result in low Voltage and RPM since this Power Connector is made for 80mm fan?

This is the picture of the power connector.

35-185-034-04.jpg

Thanks guy, I'm very new to building my Computer and I wish you guys could help me out soon.

It should give it full power unless the connector is made to give it 7v or something.

Ok one last question, is there any program to measure the fan RPM? If I were to put the 3 pin directly to the motherboard, will it give the full blast of 12 Volt?

Thanks!

It should give it full power unless the connector is made to give it 7v or something.
Usually by means of a resistor. You'll be able to tell if there is.

Ok one last question, is there any program to measure the fan RPM? If I were to put the 3 pin directly to the motherboard, will it give the full blast of 12 Volt?

It'll run at full speed unless your BIOS fan control settings say otherwise. Auto settings usually run it at 50% or so. The fan RPM is reported through the yellow wire, and programs like Speedfan or whatever program your motherboard comes with will be able to read the number.

Usually by means of a resistor. You'll be able to tell if there is.

Actually 7v is derrived by connecting the fans ground to the 5 volt pin on the molex connector.

Here's a link, it's a useful guide.
http://www.bleedinedge.com/guides/7volt_mod/7volt_fan_mod.html

The thin yellow wire on the 3 pin fan connector is for the RPM, the fan can get power from anywhere, but the yellow wire needs to go to the motherboard to read the RPM. (Make sure you know what you're doing before hacking up wires and connecting them to the mobo connectors :) )

Actually 7v is derrived by connecting the fans ground to the 5 volt pin on the molex connector.

Here's a link, it's a useful guide.
http://www.bleedinedge.com/guides/7volt_mod/7volt_fan_mod.html

The thin yellow wire on the 3 pin fan connector is for the RPM, the fan can get power from anywhere, but the yellow wire needs to go to the motherboard to read the RPM. (Make sure you know what you're doing before hacking up wires and connecting them to the mobo connectors :) )

I'm a little leary of this. Reason being, The 5V line is designed to source current to your components. In this 12V -> 5V configuration, it will be sinking current. I don't know how these power supplies are designed, but I'd look into that first before doing this mod. That, or just let other people go first :p

Back