Fanless layer 3 switch

WoodiE

Limp Gawd
I currently use an HP 1810-24g v2 managed switch, it's fanless but only layer 2. I know HP has the 1910 but from what I can tell it has a fan.

Is there a fanless layer 3 switch that you would recommend?

Netgear GS108T and GS110TP are absolutely wonderful switches! I know they have a few ports, but do you need all the 24 ports? maybe 16 ports would do? I use the netgear switches everywhere in the house where I can't use one with a fan.

The Linksys SG300 comes in a 20 port version that is fanless and it is a L3 switch.

It also has a CLI that was redesigned with some input from Cisco engineers (while they owned Linksys).

SG300 is pretty much all I can think of that is fanless but also bear in mind they aren't fully L3 switches (no routing protocol support for a start).

Netgear GS108T and GS110TP are absolutely wonderful switches! I know they have a few ports, but do you need all the 24 ports? maybe 16 ports would do? I use the netgear switches everywhere in the house where I can't use one with a fan.
Neither of which are L3 switches.

I guess I don't need a full Layer 3 switch but more so the VLAN routing similar to what's found on the HP 1910 switches.

@Mackintire - thanks, I'll look at the SG300. I'd prefer a 24 port but could get away with a 20 port.

@Dizzy - the HP 1910 appears to use fan. I'd like to remain fanless.

Another +1 for Cisco SG300. If you don't need a full Layer 3 switch, the SG200 does VLAN routing (with a router of course)

Thanks guys. Looks like I found my new switch, SG300, now just gotta find a good deal on one. :D

You can get a Ubiquity edge router that is a full layer 3 router. Keep using the 1810 as your layer 2 switch.

Well, you can use almost any kind of supported Atheros platform on OpenWRT and also Mikrotiks.
Don't expect these to do line rate speeds..
//Danne

I bought one of this sg300 and so disappointed because of the fans are so loud.

Not all SG300's are fanless. It depends on the model.

The 20 gigabit port model is fanless.

Not all SG300's are fanless. It depends on the model.

The 20 gigabit port model is fanless.

The only reason why I choose this switch is because its PoE to power my security camera and that's about it.

Now, if I go with the 20 gb port which is not PoE then my security camera would need to run a power all the way inside the house.

Last edited:
POE switches use most power and thus usually have fans.

You could try a Ubiquiti toughswitch pro or carrier. You'll need to buy the alternate power supply but that should work and be fanless.. But it will not be a L3 switch.

L3+POE at the moment all have fans.

Back