Fan to replace stock fan on six core AMD cpu

ampdude

Limp Gawd
I have the six core Thuban AMD processor with the stock heatsink and fan, I was wondering if somebody could point me toward a larger quieter aftermarket fan for this heatsink?

What size fan can fit on it? I don't think it'll fit a 120mm, but maybe a 92mm. You're going to needa fan with some descent CFM, sicne that heatsink isn't great. 92mm gentle typhoon would be quieter, with pretty descent CFM

just get a hyper 212 plus like me and MISMCSA. Then we can all be hyper 212 buddies.

Honestly though you bought a six core CPU. It would make sense to just buy a decent CPU cooler.

Thanks for the suggestion! Since I'm replacing the heatsink as well, I assume I'll be cleaning off the old thermal compound from the cpu with some isopropyl alcohol. What type of thermal compound should I use? I still have some Artic Silver II from the old days, but I assume there are better ones out now.

Where do your temps normally stay? What thermal paste are you using?

Thanks for the suggestion! Since I'm replacing the heatsink as well, I assume I'll be cleaning off the old thermal compound from the cpu with some isopropyl alcohol. What type of thermal compound should I use? I still have some Artic Silver II from the old days, but I assume there are better ones out now.

that paste should be fine if only a few years old. are you trying to OC and push your Thuban to its limits?

I'm using a Gelid Tranquillo on my X6. It's very quiet. Found it for about $30. Currently idling around 15 C above ambient, will hit 25 C above ambient after several hours gaming but never gotten any hotter than that. That's with the included thermal paste.

i've used a few with my 1090T.

Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, with OCZ Freeze applied- Was great getting to 3.8, 1.35v temps were fine 4.0 was iffy on it so i stayed at 3.8

H50, with preapplied paste- Great, at 4.0 keeps me at 48c max

either of these work great on a thuban in high ambient at that (87f in my case), and i would recommend either (the CCF is comaprable to the 212+)

It's much easier to get a 3rd party cooler than trying to get a new fan for the stock cooler. Most tower CPU cooler will run much cooler and quieter compared to the stock one.

I've been busy lately, so I finally got around to installing the 212+ today. It was a lot more involved than I thought it would be, I basically had to disassemble the entire PC since the heatsink requires its own standoff screwed to the back of the board. The instructions are a little vague, so I recommend watching the Youtube video that Coolermaster uploaded showing the install process. It clears up a couple of things that the manual doesn't really do a good job of explaining.

I used some Artic Silver 5, instead of the thermal compound that Coolermaster included. I don't know if this makes a big difference or not, but I've always been an Arctic Silver user. I evenly and generously distributed it around the cpu, after cleaning the old thermal paste off with some isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip. Anyways, it dropped my cpu temperature by 20F, so it now idles at 85-86F, and the mobo is at 77F. It's good to know I can install another 120mm fan down the road if I decide to as well. I haven't done any gaming yet, so that will be interesting to see. All of my case fans are set to their lowest speed. I have an Antec Nine Hundred Two which provides really good air flow.

The old cpu fan was running around 3,000rpm at idle and around 3,400rpm when I was gaming, the new 120mm fan runs around 760rpm @ idle, so obviously it is much quieter.

I can't believe how much dust was in there after only six months of use!

Last edited:
I did a little bit of Counter-Strike Source and the cpu temp only went up to 101F, which is lower than my previous idle temperature was with the stock heat sink. I'm very happy with these results!

They might even get better as the thermal paste sets up in the next couple days, we'll see.

Back