Fan speed on my r9 290 crossfire

Tradio

Limp Gawd
I just upgraded to a r9 290 (non-x) crossfire and a 4K monitor. I notice that my clocks start throttle when the cards reach above 90C and they dont stay at 947 Mhz on load with AUTO fan.

So i created my own profile to keep the cards under 85C on load. Turns out that the fans need to reach to 70 in order to keep this temp.

Question is, is it ok for me to use constant 70 fan speed when playing games?

I just upgraded to a r9 290 (non-x) crossfire and a 4K monitor. I notice that my clocks start throttle when the cards reach above 90C and they dont stay at 947 Mhz on load with AUTO fan.

So i created my own profile to keep the cards under 85C on load. Turns out that the fans need to reach to 70 in order to keep this temp.

Question is, is it ok for me to use constant 70 fan speed when playing games?

Sure, it's fine to do that.

smart case shopping is imperative for a good 290/290x cf experience. a side fan, blowing directly at the gpu array can also reduce the need to over crank your fan speed. i've found a good 14cm fan generating better than 50 cfm seem to do the trick. plus 14cm fans are really quiet while focusing the blast of air. large 18cm to 23cm are great at moving a lot of air but poor at focusing that air to where you need it.

Back