• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fan Speed Controller, Watts per Channel

Deeky

Gawd
Joined
Feb 7, 2008
Messages
982
I gotta plead ignorance on this.

I own a NZXT Sentry LX capable of supporting "up to 4Watt per channel."

I want to hook a beefy 38mm Delta fan to it, specifically one of these.

Is this doable, or will the NZXT not supply enough wattage to support the Delta?
 
Running at 12V you're looking at close to 6 amps for that fan, so no that controller's not going to cut it.
 
So "rated input power" is the spec I need to be aware of? I'll need a fan with less than 4 watts?

The retailer I linked lists the fan as having a rated input of 5.52 watts. Even if that were the case, it's still too much.

:(
 
Power (Watts) = Voltage * Current. When your fan controller is at maximum settings it'll run at 12V, so you need something that draws less than .33 amps otherwise you'll blow your fan controller.
 
Ahhh. My maths are weak, I've never fully understood the calculations.

So 4 watts or .33 amps. Can anyone suggest a decent high pressure fan that would fall within tolerances? I'd rather not explode my controller if I can avoid it. =P Something like this, maybe?
 
Okay, so this subject continues to blow my mind. I've been eyeballing various spec sheets, like this one for a line of 25mm Delta fans. The Input Power and Input Current numbers are a little confusing to me. If I'm looking for a fan that draws no more than 0.33 amps, I should be fine with every fan on that list with the exception of two that draw 0.4 and 0.53 amps respectively, correct? However, according to the Input Power, five of these fans require more watts than the 4 watts my fan controller can provide. So which value should I be worried about, the amps or the watts?
 
Yeah. Unfortunately I already own the NZXT with a paltry 4 watts per channel. :p It was purchased long before I intended to include a beefy 38mm fan in my rig. I do own a Zalman that can support up to 7 watts/channel, but I'd obviously prefer not to include that to control a single fan.
 
Okay, so this subject continues to blow my mind. I've been eyeballing various spec sheets, like this one for a line of 25mm Delta fans. The Input Power and Input Current numbers are a little confusing to me. If I'm looking for a fan that draws no more than 0.33 amps, I should be fine with every fan on that list with the exception of two that draw 0.4 and 0.53 amps respectively, correct? However, according to the Input Power, five of these fans require more watts than the 4 watts my fan controller can provide. So which value should I be worried about, the amps or the watts?

Youre looking for 12V fans only, so the current, and the power are directly connected. Volts multiplied with Amps equals Power. U*I=P

Thats where the 0.33A are coming from, 12V*0.33A=4W

;)
 
Youre looking for 12V fans only, so the current, and the power are directly connected. Volts multiplied with Amps equals Power. U*I=P

Thats where the 0.33A are coming from, 12V*0.33A=4W

;)
Ah, of course! The 24v fans would obviously alter the results of the calculations. I should have realized that. Thanks. :rolleyes:
 
Here is a current draw listing for scythe fan's: http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

Thanks for the link, winhyun. I considered both Gentle Typhoons and the 38mm Ultra Kaze. The Gentle Typhoons won't fit with the fan clips on the VenX and the Kazes undervolt poorly, according to reports. I'm really looking for something with decent static pressure.

I'm now considering a low speed Panaflo. Though I'd much prefer the medium speed model, according to specs it requires a hair more juice than my fan controller can provide.
 
One of the best fan controller's I have ever bought was a sunbeam with 20watts per header: http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/RHK/Rheobus.html

The bad thing about it is the blue led lights they put on it is brighter than the sun :O


i agree with this post but an easy resistor mod lowers the brightness of the lights. ive been using mine for 4 years now. at one point it had 6 deltas hooked up to it for watercooling duty.
 
Back
Top