• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fan Speed Controller Question

KillerPotato

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 14, 2005
Messages
167
I am in need of a good fan speed controller, but all of my fans use four pins molex connectors for power (with the passthrough thing), and all of the fanspeed controllers that I can find on newegg use the smaller three pin connectors. I was previously suggested to find some adapter, but failing that, I then realized that my fans did have a three pin connector, but it only had one wire running to the connector, and couldnt be powered by that connector alone. I found its only use was to plug it into the motherboard to tell me how fast the fans were spinning, but I couldnt change the fan's speed with speedfan.

Will my fans still be able to be controlled by a fan speed controller such as these (Vantec 2-fan controller or Vantec panel controller) if it can only be powered by the molex connector and only have one wire on the three pin connector? (The fans I have are these thermaltake ones) Can I plug them directly into the power supply with the molex and the three pin connector into the controller and still have it regulate the fan speed?

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows the answer
 
somebody correct me if im wrong., 3 wire fans 1 lead for rpm monitoring and 2 for power.. you will need atleast the 2 power leads hooked to your fan controller and if it has monitoring for rpm all 3.. the fan controller is just limiting voltage for rpm control to the fan.. you have to power the fan with the controller not the PSU
 
Ah k. Thanks for clearing that up

Are there any controllers that can control fans using a molex connector? If there arent, can anyone point me to a place to buy adapters, if thats the only other option?
 
KillerPotato said:
Ah k. Thanks for clearing that up

Are there any controllers that can control fans using a molex connector? If there arent, can anyone point me to a place to buy adapters, if thats the only other option?

Lots of places sell those adapters. Try FrozenCPU or PerformancePC.
 
My Vantec Nexus fan controller came with a bunch of extra wires to be able to plug both 4-pin molex and 3-pin fans into the controller.
 
Is this it?:
Vantec Nexus

I dont think I see any adapters of that sort in the pictures, but if theyre included in the package, ill probably go ahead and get them if there arent any god adapters.

If I can get cheap adapters and a cheaper fan controller, that would be preferable, but otherwise the nexus seems like a sound option.
 
No sorry, its this one:

Vantec controller

18 watts per channel, 4 channels, comes in black or silver and for 3.5" or 5.25" bays. I like it so much I'm buying the same one for my next rig.:) I have 2 80mm thermaltake 75 cfm fans on 2 of the channels, and vantec tornado 80mm on another channel, and a 120mm delta 151 cfm on the 4th channel. All 6 fans in my case are hooked up to this.
 
Back
Top