fan recommendation

brank

n00b
sorry Im new to computer building and I'd like a quiet system. I'm going with the nzxt h400i case and looking for fans that will keep the computer almost dead silent. I dont game or plan to overclock so low noise is the most important factor

I think paying $30 for a single 120mm spinner is a bit much...

But Noctua's $15 140mm ones aren't bad. Thermalright and Phanteks make great sub $20 140mm spinners too.

Yate Loon and Arctic make great value 120mm fans. The most I'd probably pay for 120mm is $20 for PWM Gentle Typhoons.

Noctua fans are great, but beQuiet Silent Wings deserves a mention as well, particularly in 140mm. (not sure if there's a 120mm Silent Wings or if they call it Pure Wings). At 120mm I'm into NF-A12x25.

Yeah, they are expensive, but if you're going for max silence they can be worth it.

while more quiet fans are great.. a case without windows / glass.. and sound dampening is a real benefit when you don't like noise..

in my case (pun?) I have a older NZXT H630 full tower which is populated with the following ..

orig 200mm front fan / stock 140mm rear fan / 2x Gelid Silent 12pmw 120mm case fans / Cryoirg H5 / XFX RX580 / currently a Corsair TX650W powersupply (need to install the Seasonic X750 I just got back from rma now that seasonic shipped me new cables)

blah blah blah..

at 4.3Ghz at idle here.. it is a whisper next to the case and essentially inaudible and normal sitting height (case is on tray on floor) even running benchmarks it is hardly a whisper .. honestly traffic outside my house is more of an issue noise wise than the pc..

my case is discontinued and wasn't certainly without flaws.. it was one of the first highly restricted front airflow cases I'm aware of .. all them tempered glass front panel cases have apparently made it a much more mainstream problem.. and a sound dampening case may have somewhat less airflow in general?

but I'm seeing 71C on hottest Core running IXT 1~hr so @4.3Ghz so meh.. RX580 max temp 70C (running realbench)

my advice (if you haven't already bought the case is to look for silenced chassis options

Nothing about my build is "maxium" quite fan wise.. but this rig would be quite enough for all but the most noise sensitive use cases I think.

I found the Corsair AF140's to be pretty quiet while still moving good air and they usually go around $12-15 per fan depending on color.

Back