fan question

nertil1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Messages
371
my mobo has a 3 pin connector for the cpu fan which i don't use and i have a 3 pin case fan.
Can i connect the two?
-nertil
 
Probably, but some fans are beasts that draw loads of power, and may burn out your motherboard's fan connector. Check the power rating or the current draw on the fan and let me know what it is.
 
Probably, but some fans are beasts that draw loads of power, and may burn out your motherboard's fan connector. Check the power rating or the current draw on the fan and let me know what it is.

I found the case with the fan in it. On the fan it says DC 12V .35A Fan
or do i just need to get a converter
-nertil

edit: by the way the computer is a gateway and the fan is a Dell if that makes a difference
 
If it were me I'd just get a 3 to 4 pin connector.. I would not run a 35a fan from my mb but maybe I'm just too paranoid. I've seen too many people on this (old) forum kill the mb power connector when running fans such as the 9K RPM Delta... of course the 9K delta pulls 1.2 amps. Just a heads up. When I did a quick seach for Sunon fans. It seems they stop putting 3 pin mb connectors on them after about .18 amps... the /high output/ 80mm fan has .38a and comes only with a molex.
 
Back
Top