Fan orientation in uATX case

DejaWiz

Fully [H]
Quick question:

When installing the seven 120mm fans into the Arc Mini, do you think it would be okay to have the 2 front, 1 bottom, 1 side, and 2 top fans as intake and the 1 rear fan an exhaust? Obviously, the fan in the PSU would be an exhaust, as well.

I plan on using all the same PWM fans for this, so they would all have identical RPM/CFM ranges.

I would never put top fans as intake. My ideal is front and side as intake with rear and top as exhaust.

I'm already aware of positive pressure. I was speculating that having fans orientated like I suggested would help control dust build up and force hotter air out of the chassis.

Just wanted to get some opinions on the matter.

Having 6 fans in and one out is not going to work well.....as for controlling dust any time you have a fan in your case you will get more dust. try a filter. Heat rises so top should be exhaust.
You can think of it this way....each fan can move 10 cfm of air. if you have 6 fans pushing 60 cfm in and one fan removing 10 cfm.

Having 6 fans in and one out is not going to work well.....as for controlling dust any time you have a fan in your case you will get more dust. try a filter. Heat rises so top should be exhaust.
You can think of it this way....each fan can move 10 cfm of air. if you have 6 fans pushing 60 cfm in and one fan removing 10 cfm.

I'm not too worried about heat rising in a uATX case with so many fans. The air movement from all the fans is probably going to negate the possibility of heat build up from rising hot air regardless of fan orientation.

And dust, yes. There will always be dust in a case, even over time with filtration. I'm just wondering if having such positive pressure will help reduce it more than having equal or negative pressure.

That's way too much positive pressure. The fans likely can't move the air with so many intakes and only one-two exhausts, there aren't enough openings. Besides, the top fans are probably not filtered and will be a dust magnet. Make the top exhaust, that'll be optimal.

I'd say take your suggested config and just change the top to exhaust and you'll be good to go. Filters do help. Even homemade ones. :)

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I'll be orientating the top fans as exhaust along with the rear.

Back