Fan noise on the nVidia GT2xx cards

pdp76

Weaksauce
I am thinking about replacing a 9600GT with a GT2x0 (haven't decided which one yet) so I can move the 9600GT to another build. What I didn't like about the 9600GT was that the fan would be on full speed, loud and noisy, until the driver loaded. From what I read, this had to do with the BIOS on the board. Can anyone tell me if the GT2x0 cards also exhibit this behavior?

Its different for any card you purchase. I have two 9600gt's, one is very loud, and the other is very silent. One is EVGA, and the other is ASUS.

it really depends on the bios setting, and how they designed the card.

same goes for any video card, especially for the gt2x0 series

Yes, but still, it's only for 5 seconds so no big deal.

Wife/girlfriend/mom getting angry when you sneak up at night to game ?

I'm converting the build with the 9600GT into a HTPC/General Use computer.. don't need the horsepower and want to get it as silent as possible. I was thinking about getting one with a passive heatsink but there is a sale on the Galaxy G210 at Fry's right now that has the active fan.

And yes, I'm only talking about the time BEFORE driver load, the EVGA 9600GT I have does become very quiet after that... but it still bugs the hell out of me, and it will piss me off more in an HTPC.

My BFG 280 is incredibly quiet, I am holding onto that sucker til it dies :p
I had an eVGA 250 though that sounded like a hurricane, it was awful, I sold that piece of crap.

Back