Fan mod

stryke297

n00b
Joined
Jun 29, 2012
Messages
8
I've got a PSU that I replace two fans on. The fan wires come out of the power supply with its other cable bundles. The two fans are three pin fans, and they had three pin connectors, except that I cut them off. I am looking for suggestions on how to power these fans again. I'm not sure if I should splice them with another 3 pin or what, I'm fairly open to ideas.
 
The third pin is an RPM/speed signal usually. So do you want the PC to know the speed of the fans so it can adjust them for noise/whatever? Or are you ok with them being full power? You can also splice them into resistors (or a different rail) if you don't want full power.

If the latter, you can save time just by splicing them into the 12v rails, or putting them on a molex connector. If you want them to use the signal line, you'll want to wire them up as they were before with separate connectors, as two fans on one signal line may cause issues.

If they aren't annoyingly loud (Delta/etc), I'd just do the first option and splice them into the appropriate rail, this way you don't accidentally leave them unpowered.
 
I don't really have spare connectors lying around for 3 and 4 pin so I'm going to try to put them on a molex connector. I'm going to have to splice some wires which isn't that big of deal. It sounds like coming from the fan I will have the 12v/+ and the sensor going to the left side of the molex connector(to match up with the yellow +12v rail, and then the ground will then go into the second slot to the black wire?
 
Ran into some sort of problem. I had a molex connector with 3 pins in it lying around that already had stripped wires leading from it. so I plugged it into a molex from the PSU, twisted the wires so the sensor and the +/12v from the fan were on the pin that lead to 12V and then the ground went to the ground, turned on the PSU, and nothing. after I removed the stripped wires from the fan, I booted up the psu to check that the stripped wires were "hot" and they are. So maybe I've done something wrong in my quick as hell ghetto splicing, or maybe the fan is blown, if that's even possible.

Re: I took a 9v and tested it on a 120mm case fan. case fan power up so I tried it on the fan in question from above, and I could not get it to spin. Granted the fan in question( 3 pin) I have no clue which wire is the lead and which is sensor, all I know is that the middle wire is ground. So /shrug I'm thinking the fan is toast or some other strange fan phenomena that I don't know about is occuring.

Re: Re: Took the fans out of the PSU, followed the wires under a sticker protecting the circuitry for the fan, found out that it was wired wrong. the 12v lead was in the middle, and the ground and the sensor are on the outside.

Ok so, now I'm not sure if I should splice the fans directly to the rails, anyone have a guide for that? Otherwise I'm just going to splice them to a molex connector.


Re: Re: Re:
2012-07-01_21-54-42_231.jpg
Done did it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top