Fan install on a 22U rack

cybertron

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I've got this rack I've had for years and I finally decided to get it powder coated and am going to mount some fans in the top of it and possibly put an HVAC air filter at the bottom of it. Take a look at the images in this gallery and give me some feedback on this whole idea before I waste my money :)

https://plus.google.com/photos/103324051280198191539/albums/5051882573518481841

So the whole thing comes apart in panels and that is what will be powder coated along with the black bevel around the front and back door. The top of the unit will get 4x 140mm fan holes, probably on the outer edges of the top (opposed to all in the middle). I'm going to purchase four Nocturne NF-P14 fans and mount them in said holes. And if you look at the bottom of the rack, I'll be removing that metal plate that covers a portion of the bottom. I'm going to try and find an air filter that will fit snug in there, that will hopefully reduce some of the dust. I'm also planning to put some kind of molding around the front and back door to keep air from coming in as I want it all to pass through the vent at the bottom.

With the fans costing about $100(ok, this is just a soft number, I spent 2 seconds google searching good fans, ie: bearings that dont wear out, etc, etc, and that's what I came up with), and the powder coating about $125, I'm hoping to keep the total cost under $250 as I also need to get the holes cut (I'm disabled and not able to do it easily).

I felt like there was a lot more going into this, but after typing it, I guess not. My main concern was how to power those fans without a computer attached. Can I just get some kind of a 12V DC power brick and a fan header with multiple output? I want to also mount a speed control POT on the outside of the rack if possible and cut some specific holes in the back for my cable to cable modem and mini display port and usb to my main rig.

Any thoughts on this whole idea?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've got this rack I've had for years and I finally decided to get it powder coated and am going to mount some fans in the top of it and possibly put an HVAC air filter at the bottom of it. Take a look at the images in this gallery and give me some feedback on this whole idea before I waste my money :)

https://plus.google.com/photos/103324051280198191539/albums/5051882573518481841

So the whole thing comes apart in panels and that is what will be powder coated along with the black bevel around the front and back door. The top of the unit will get 4x 140mm fan holes, probably on the outer edges of the top (opposed to all in the middle). I'm going to purchase four Nocturne NF-P14 fans and mount them in said holes. And if you look at the bottom of the rack, I'll be removing that metal plate that covers a portion of the bottom. I'm going to try and find an air filter that will fit snug in there, that will hopefully reduce some of the dust. I'm also planning to put some kind of molding around the front and back door to keep air from coming in as I want it all to pass through the vent at the bottom.

With the fans costing about $100, and the powder coating about $125, I'm hoping to keep the total cost under $250 as I also need to get the holes cut (I'm disabled and not able to do it easily).

I felt like there was a lot more going into this, but after typing it, I guess not. My main concern was how to power those fans without a computer attached. Can I just get some kind of a 12V DC power brick and a fan header with multiple output? I want to also mount a speed control POT on the outside of the rack if possible and cut some specific holes in the back for my cable to cable modem and mini display port and usb to my main rig.

100$ for fan's ? are you serious ? what's wrong with computer fans with a 12V adapter soldered to them ? that's what i did, and mines QUIET TOO! ( running at 7.5 ish v) per fan.

DSCN0217.JPG

DSCN0216.JPG

DSCN0239.JPG

100$ for fan's ? are you serious ? what's wrong with computer fans with a 12V adapter soldered to them ? that's what i did, and mines QUIET TOO! ( running at 7.5 ish v) per fan.

[IMG1]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WSzha0jKhio/T1BNlFAXEpI/AAAAAAAAPbE/c6UCUqB1NjY/s800/DSCN0217.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG1]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MJPqUoMD1vM/T1BNldQpOrI/AAAAAAAAPbM/mj6Jd6oFD2E/s800/DSCN0216.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG1]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pMNevqXUZjA/T15W8ZFarGI/AAAAAAAAPfE/a9ZlEGAQYnk/s800/DSCN0239.JPG[/IMG]

Well I wanted a good amount of air flow as my rack is bigger and has more gear in it. If I can get it all in, I'll have a quad core xeon, i7, 2x 650w+ psu, 11 HDDs, a 3U UPS(which does generate heat for some reason), a Mikrotik RB450, and a 24 port HP Procurve gigabit switch which also generates heat. But it's right next to my guest bed, so I want it quiet, thats why I was thinking 140mm fan, opposed to 80mm or 120. But 120 would probably work fine too.

With the fans costing about $100

Get cheaper fans. ;)
Noctua's are not all that IMHO.
They're good fans, I don't think they're worth the premium.
If you want to pay $20 apiece for fans, get some Scythe GT's (Gentle Typhoons).

Otherwise buy cheaper fans. The cheaper Scythe's are typically very good fans for $8-14 depending on if you're getting Kaze's or S-Flex.

Hell I'd even go cheaper than that and just buy Yate Loons.

bigger the fan the quieter it is. Plus a big fan can run at lower voltage, and still move good amount of air and be quiet.

Back