Fan header capacity?

wasteomind

Gawd
I read most fan headers on motherboards are around the 1A ballpark for power. I have some Gentle Typhoon AP-15s from years back rated at 0.083 A each. How many of these can I safely put on a single motherboard fan header? Do I have to account for any kind of startup power surge? Realistically I plan to do 4 fans max using one of these fan hubs, https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Black-...535632&sr=8-5&keywords=4+pin+pwm+fan+splitter

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: (1850 RPM)
Model No:
D1225C12B5AP-15
Fan Speed: 1850 RPM
Fan Noise: 28 DBA
Air Flow: 58.3 CFM
Power Draw: 0.083 A
Connector: 3 Pin 3 Wire
Bearing: Dual Ball

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
four is no prob. ive run 4x .23a and start up wasn't a prob either. with those youd be able to do 10 on one header, maybe. not sure if voltage would be an issue or not...

Most fan headers can handle 12w (1A - 12w / 12v) . Some boards that have specialized fan/water pump headers that give you 18w (1.5A - 18w / 12v).

Just take a look at the power draw figure of each fan and add them together. While DC fans don't have too heavy of a startup draw, I would only add 20% to cover startup surge current draw, you know, for safety.

Keep in mind fans will require more than their rated power to get up to speed. It’s only for a short while but it’s a pretty heavy draw while they are doing it.

Can probably safely say “double the fan amps and add it up” and be ok. I know electricians are going to come in and say 5x - which is true, but we aren’t dealing with a fast breaker trip, it’s mostly just thermal on burning out the header. It’s more like a slo-blo fuse that you can’t exactly replace.

0.083 is close to 0.1 - that would be about 10 fans per 1A header if you want to risk it. Someone here says they’ve done 4 with no issue and that falls roughly in line with “double the amps and add it up”. I’ve never done more than two myself but mostly just because I’ve never needed more than that.

Back