Fan Controllers?

MrShow

n00b
I'm building a new air-cooled OC rig, and was wondering what kind of (5.25") fan controller could handle my fan setup.

The fans I want to control follow:

4x Vantec Tornado 80mm (2x Intake, 2x Outake)
1x Vantec Tornado 92mm (On Cpu)
1x Thermalright NB-1 (On northbridge, obviously)
(Case: Lian Li PC-65)

I've used Tornados for a while, and don't really mind the noise too much, but would like to turn them down for normal use (ya know, for sanity...) and then crank them up when gaming. Any advice?

MrShow said:
I'm building a new air-cooled OC rig, and was wondering what kind of (5.25") fan controller could handle my fan setup.

The fans I want to control follow:

1x Thermalright NB-1 (On northbridge, obviously)
(Case: Lian Li PC-65)

I've used Tornados for a while, and don't really mind the noise too much, but would like to turn them down for normal use (ya know, for sanity...) and then crank them up when gaming. Any advice?

Uh....that's a LOT to ask of a standard fan controller. One tornado would be fine, but 4*80+1*92.... Wow. Anyway, I would use two controllers at a minimum to balance that load a bit. I use Vantec controllers for my standard 80mm fans+92mm tornado without issue. However, I don't think the Vantecs are going to handle that many tornados too well.... You could try the Zalman. I use a PC-65 and consistenly get the upper 70s or low 80s in case temp. However, I use the stock fans + two fans drilled into the side window.

Bah! I'd just get one of these and throw them all on that. I've had no problem with seven fans on mine.

That fan controller rocks. And the price is right!

Here's a review of it.

Hurin said:
Bah! I'd just get one of these and throw them all on that. I've had no problem with seven fans on mine.

That fan controller rocks. And the price is right!

Here's a review of it.
these work good :D, i have 1 and it should be able to handle the load

ST|FFY said:
these work good :D, i have 1 and it should be able to handle the load

Yeah, those look good, but I have one question:

How do you hook up more than 1 fan to 1 channel? There's only 4 3-pin connectors.
Am I supposed to use a Y cable? :confused:

You could use a y-cable to install 2 fans onto one channel, but keep in mind that each 80mm tornado draws about 9.1 watts, the 92mm tornado draws about 12.5 watts, and the NB-1 fan draws about 1.2 watts. It looks like you will need at least 20w/channel. The Rheobus that evil linked seems to fit the bill, but if you want a quality product from a quality company, check this out: http://www.dvhardware.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=35

-TFR

MrShow said:

Do you value your ability to hear? and/or can you use sign language..

I seriously think you have no idea how loud those things are, even turned down with a fan controller... I highly suggest you reevaluate your cooling solution...

Forcefed14psi said:
Do you value your ability to hear? and/or can you use sign language..

I seriously think you have no idea how loud those things are, even turned down with a fan controller... I highly suggest you reevaluate your cooling solution...

He said he's used them for a while, but i still think he is over estimating airflow needs with that setup.

He should be fine with some lower power (lower noise) fans.
The tornado on the cpu I can understand, but the rest seem a bit much.

mobiux said:
He said he's used them for a while, but i still think he is over estimating airflow needs with that setup.

He should be fine with some lower power (lower noise) fans.
The tornado on the cpu I can understand, but the rest seem a bit much.

The plan was to scare my cat. :rolleyes:

After a discussion I had with some people at fry's, i decided to keep one Tornado on the CPU and use some 80mm Panaflos for the case.

Thanks for the help. :)

You talked to the peeps at Fry's and they told you to get panaflos? Were they employees or customers? Wait...it's sound advice so probably customers :rolleyes:

TFR said:
You talked to the peeps at Fry's and they told you to get panaflos? Were they employees or customers? Wait...it's sound advice so probably customers :rolleyes:
I have to do alot of that when I head over to CompUSA :rolleyes:

To be fair, there are some CompUSA/Fry's/etc. employees that know their stuff. Heck some even post on these boards. I'm not looking to get flamed--my wife beats me up everyday as is ;)

Ive got a sunbeam rheobus that works well. 20 watts per channel and a nice silk-screened facia available in black or silver.

The vantec fan controllers are pure junk. I've owned two different models; I know what I'm talking about. Why? Really horrible PWM implementation.

Get a sunbeam and don't look back. Yes, it's ugly, but that's what stealthing is for.

Back