Fan controllers/temperature monitors

ryuji

2[H]4U
What do you people look for when shopping for a fan controller and temperature monitoring device? Any good ones out there with automatic speed controls and lots of channels? I'm also interested in monitoring assorted temperatures.

About the only stuff you need to look for when buying a fan controller is the amount of channels and the maximum Amperage and wattage per channel. Everything else, like looks, LEDs/touch, switch type, etc all depend on personal preference and budget.

This is the only one I know that will do AUTOMATIC throttling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998063
1A or 12W, which is probably 2 or 3 fans per channel if you turn them down to 7v (60%) or 3-5 if you turn them down to 5v (40%). Of course it all depends on the fans you plan on using. Some will use 6w on full blast and some only use like 3w on full blast (has alot to do with the motor inside (RPMS) and how well made the fans are)

Wattage = Fan Amperage x Voltage

for example: D12SM-124UB (purely because I was taking one I have at home apart and I know it's rated at .30A because I had to take the sticker off)

3.6w = .30A x 12v = 3 fans per channel @ 100%
2.7w = .30A x 9v = 4 fans per channel @ 75%
1.8w = .30A x 6v = 6 fans per channel @ 50%
1.11w = .30A x 3.7v = 10 fans per channel @ 30% (3.7v is as low as the controller can go without turning the fan channel off)

but of course those are off a little bit because of the startup peak wattage/Amperage req'd.

Personally, this fan controller, the Lamptron FC-5 is probably THE BEST out there right now (not including the controllers made for watercooling that are 100-150+. LED Display, 4 channel, 30w per channel, 4 temp probes, like 7 or 8 different colors, can go all the way down to 0v before turning off.

Last edited:
I actually have a water cooling setup and was intending to maybe watch my fluid and/or radiator temperature and throttle all of my case fans based on for example how hot my motherboard and vid cards vregs are running and the radiator fans and perhaps pump speed based on cooling needs

Back