• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fan Controllers for Yate Loons

haffey

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 6, 2008
Messages
539
I need some fan controllers for my Yate Loons as they are just too loud and would push enough air through my TRUE even at lower speeds. I'm looking for something under or around $25, and it either has to look nice with my Antec 900 or not have LEDs at all (like the Zalman Fanmate 2). I like the Sunbeam Rheobus a lot (http://www.petrastechshop.com/surhfanspcob.html), but at a certain voltage it changes the LED color from Blue to Red, which would look terrible.

Should I just use a Fanmate 2 and buy a 3-pin Y adapter? http://www.petrastechshop.com/3pinyadapter.html Two Yate Loons certainly won't be too much amps for the mobo header to handle, would it? I don't mind having the Fanmate 2 as it's not flashy and it'll be inside the case anyway.
 
I have Yate Loons in my case, and the voltage at which the LED changes (+7 I think) is *exactly* where the Yates stop spinning. So you have to run them blue if you're going to use it at all.
 
I have Yate Loons in my case, and the voltage at which the LED changes (+7 I think) is *exactly* where the Yates stop spinning. So you have to run them blue if you're going to use it at all.
Oh wow, that's very interesting. Good to know that. Now I heard that the original Rheobus has very intrusive and bright LEDs and that the Rheobus Extreme is a little easier on the eyes. If you have the original Rheobus, what do you think of the LEDs?

Btw, I am using the D12SH-12 Yate Loons, the high speed ones. I'm not sure if the case is different for each model. Do you have the same ones?
 
those 2 color LEDs can be pulled out and flipped around to switch to the other color scheme fairly easily i believe. other people have simply dran over the tips in black felt marker, or pulled them out completely. you can also buy different color LEDs for like 50 cents each at radioshack or somewhere if you want a different color. just say what you want to do with it, and someone can probably tell you how its done. you also might wanna retry this thread in the electronics section of cases and case mods if it gets into pretty technical stuff so you are asking the right audience. :)
 
i have two high speed yate loons in my case and i just use speedfan to control them. it works great. can even get them to fully stop if i want dead silence.

hell i even have a high and low speed yate loon connected via a 3 pin Y adapter and it works perfectly. my mobo has no problem running both of them on one header.

i like it because its free and keeps my case uncluttered.
 
Scythe Kaze Master / Kaze Master Ace is the best fan controller I've ever used. Around $30, but worth the cost.
 
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll look into the fan controllers you suggested.

ekuest: I'm awful with wires and circuitry and stuff,. so I don't know if that route is safe for me to go down...

Speedfan sounds like a nice choice at no cost. I haven't used software to control my fans before so let me give it a shot.

edit: I've done a little shopping around for the Kaze Master and Kaze Master Ace but they all seem to control 2 fans vs. the 4 fans shown on the Kaze website. Are all the retailers just getting rid of old stock, and has Scythe updated them both to control 4 fans?

edit 2: Ahh...I was looking at the 3.5 inch bay versions.
 
Last edited:
I have the original Rhoebus and yes the LED's are bright. I have alleviated that by placing small strips of electrical tape over the LED's. Now the lights just shine out the sides a little bit and I think it looks pretty cool. You can also just use a sharpie to dull the LED's if they are too bright.

The Rhoebus works great and I strongly recommend it. I am controlling every fan in my case with it (except the CPU fan) for a total of 8 fans and it handles them without any problems.
 
Yeah, I have the original as well and the LEDs are like floodlights. I have a p180 with a door though, so it doesn't bug me. The lights are not blinding with the door open unless you're looking at them full-on.

I do have D12SL-12s though, not the high-speed ones. So YMMV on the voltage part, sorry :(
 
Last edited:
Another recommendation for Kaze Master here. The 5,25" allows you to controll 4 fans, looks good, the display is perfectly readable from any angle/in any lightning and yet it doesn't burn your retinas out like LEDs [ex. the ones used in Stacker 830 for Power and HDD activity]. It puts 1A per channel which is enough unless you want to run some deltas off it and allows for very precise downvolting [Slip Stream that runs at 1900 rpm can be tuned down to 300 :eek:]
 
Thanks for all the input. It seems that the Kaze Master is the best choice for me right now. Now what is the difference between the Kaze Master and the Kaze Master Ace?
 
Believe the Ace is the newer version, but from the specs, doesn't look like anything was changed other than the name and a slightly different look.

Update: And blue LED vs.green.
 
Back
Top