• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Fan controller/wiring question.

Fixall

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
1,396
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I know very little about the wiring aspect of computers.

Basically I have four fans I would like to run off of a controller. The fans have a red and black wire only. they started off as 4 pin, but were wires were clipped and 3 pin connectors were put in their place. Will I be able to run them off of a controller like a Lamptron Fc5 without the yellow rpm wire? If not what can I do to fix this issue? The fans I'm using are rather pricey and I love them so swapping them out is not something I want to do.

Thanks [H]!
 
In terms of wiring, it should be fine. The 3rd pin is a reporting only pin, not a control pin. Fan speed is controlled via voltage changes over the two power pins.

You won't get an RPM reading without a 3rd pin, but everything else should will work fine.
 
In terms of wiring, it should be fine. The 3rd pin is a reporting only pin, not a control pin. Fan speed is controlled via voltage changes over the two power pins.

You won't get an RPM reading without a 3rd pin, but everything else should will work fine.

Excellent. I'm not all that concerned with the read out as I'll just be adjusting the fans by ear anyways.
 
Back
Top