Fan Control Issue

FireBean

Gawd
I have a 360 rad with 3 120mm fans I am trying to control via CPU Temp. This is the 4pin PWM header coming right off the motherboard. Its works fine if there is one 3pin non-PWM or 4pin PWM fan hooked up. But, If I split it among 3 fans, it cannot control the speed of these fans. What gives? It's just voltage regulation...

Motherboard:
Asus P8Z68-V

Wait are you splitting the fans, then going into the motherboard fan header? Pretty sure the cpu fan header cannot handle that much wattage output. Id get a fan controller, also im sure you already know that you cannot control each fan individually, but, if you had a fan controller youd be able to control the group, im not exactly sure the limitation output of the cpu fan header voltage but, im pretty sure it cannot support that much.

I've never used a fan controller before, so I'm not sure of how to make the proper connections so that I'm able to read the rpm's. I have the Zalman MFC1 5 fan controller on it's way (should arrive tomorrow). It has (4) 3 pin fan connectors, and 1 pwm connector.

I know that it has to make a connection in some manner to the motherboard to be able to pick up the readings, I'm just not quite sure how to go about it.

Here's my current thought process of how to make this happen. I connect the 3 fans (all 3 pin) to 3 of the 3 pin fan connectors on the fan controller. Then I make a 4 pin pwm connection between the fan controller and the motherboard.

Is my thinking correct in this, or am I totally off base. Thanks for any help.

Back