fan connector question

HaX

[H]ard|Gawd
would it be better to do this:

1) H60 pump connected to standard motherboard fan header and 3x 120mm fans connected to the 4pin cpu_header using something like this

or

2) H60 pump connected to motherboard via 3 pin & 2x 120mm fans connected to 4pin molex to 3pin fan y-cable

im trying to limit cable usage and make less clutter for my mini if that makes a difference, i wasnt sure if i would run into any problems using a 3pin y-cable with h60 pump...so i thought i should ask

Last edited:
Option 2. I'd think 2 120mm fans and a pump is quite a lot for one motherboard fan header. I personally wouldn't do it.

Does your MoBo have a 4 pin CPU fan connector? If so, then get a 4 pin splitter and use that for the H60 fans.

Option 2. I'd think 2 120mm fans and a pump is quite a lot for one motherboard fan header. I personally wouldn't do it.

updated question, pump can be placed on the single fan_header, but will the other fans be ok on the cpu fan header?

Does your MoBo have a 4 pin CPU fan connector? If so, then get a 4 pin splitter and use that for the H60 fans.

oh didnt realize this but the pump is recommended to be on any motherboard fan header while the fan is suppose to be on the cpu_fan header.

so i guess my revised question is having the all the fans on a single cpu_fan header ok?

If you put the pump plug on the motherboard, make sure it runs at 100% all the time, and isn't temperature controlled or anything. Otherwise you can have problems when the header cuts the voltage to the pump.

If you put the pump plug on the motherboard, make sure it runs at 100% all the time, and isn't temperature controlled or anything. Otherwise you can have problems when the header cuts the voltage to the pump.

well i mean the corsair h60 instruction says to do this by default. but i do understand that the pump must be running at 100%

Corsair H60 Instruction said:
Connect pump power connector to any available 3-pin fan header on motherboard

Ah, I understand now. Yes, put the pump on a chassis fan header and run it at 100%. Then you can run the radiator fans off a splitter...I still recommend the CPU fan header for those.

yup, i went with the 4pin pwm y splitter for the h60 fans.. as for the case fans deciding if i want a 3x 3pin pcb molex board or a 5x 3pin one... right now my mini case has 4x 120mm fans in it... but i could add 2x 80mm if i wanted... that's a lot of fans for something smaller than a SG07

Back