Fan CFM vs Filter

evilnickwong

Weaksauce
Right now, I have two standard Tt 80mm fans that came with my case working as front intakes.

I'm using the foam material that came with new mobos as a filter material and it's great in keeping dust out, but obviously limits airflow to the point that my load CPU temp has increased from 48 to 56. :mad:

Anyway, I'm thinking of replacing both those fans with the Tt Smart Case Fan II. The CFM rating is definitely MUCH higher than these, but is it going to help alot or has the foam material already limited maximum airflow to a certain point that stronger fans won't help?

On another note, what's good to be used as a filter to keep all the dust out? I hate having dust accumulate in my case. :eek:

You could try a dryer sheet or go to a hardware store and buy a fine mesh/screen to help keep out some dust.

Personally, I always preferred the wire mesh filters, such as this:
http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/42/55.htm?253
They don't seem to limit airflow as much as the fabric stuff...and can be cleaned with a plastic brush and some duster. Just be sure to not let them get clogged up...cuz if they get inundated w/ dust your system/ cpu temps will rise significantly (common sense here... ;).

Oh yeah I've thought of those materials.
But I still want to know whether using the stronger Tt SCF2 will help while STILL using the foam material. :)

Back