Fan advice?

Danja

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

First post! I'm going to update my rig this winter break and I need some advice for the fans. I currently have a rampage iii gene mobo, Asus HD4870, and an i7 930 being cooled by two Ultra Performance 120 mm. fans. My 930 temps get high under load so I'm thinking of getting an h70 to cool them. I hear that the stock fans are pretty loud so I will need to replace those. I also would like to replace my Ultras; they're rated at 33 DB and that's too loud at idle.

Here are my desired specs:

1. All 4 fans should be quiet at idle. By quiet, I mean 15 DB or less. 10 would be better.
2. I don't care how loud they are when gaming. I don't notice. It's during web surfing and movie playing that they get annoying.
3. Should be PWM controllable.
4. At full load during gaming, should push comparable air to my ultras (~75 cfm)
4. Ideally, the two fans that I use for the h70 should be controlled from a single fan connector on the motherboard. The only fan I've seen so far that can do this is the Arctic Cooling F12 PWM, but I read that you have to modify it to fit onto the h70. It looks kind of thick anyway; I probably won't have room for anything other than the standard 25 mm width.

In summary, I don't need them to be completely silent but the whir produced my my ultras running full blast all the time is too much noise. If my ultras were on a PWM controller I would be a happy camper. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've read all sorts of online reviews but I can't make up my mind!

My main suggestion for the H70 would be to use a push/pull configuration with fans no slower then 1000RPM, otherwise you won't push much air through the rad.

Ah, that's the thing though. My case has only two optical bay slots and since it's a multimedia computer, I'm very happy with having two optical drives there and would much prefer fans controlled by PWM.

get a spliter cable. i have 2 fans plugged into one header and it works great. check mono price or microcenter, or even frys

edit,

o didnt see 4 pin. should work the same way though, id vjust worry if enough power could be sent through the header

Awesome! Thanks, Corban and Bootleg Usher. That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Now I just have to decide if it's worth shelling out $25 for the fan.

Everyone here seems to be going off mfg numbers, and anyone who has been around fans knows those numbers are 100% fud. That GELID fan is not going to push 75 cfm, my bet is its 50-55cfm at max rpm and it will be WAY past the 26dbA listed, my bet is in the 50's. Also, 15-10dbA? Good luck finding any room that's under 20dbA, even testers like SPCR have a hard time getting under 20dbA in their test rooms. If you want something in the 20 range get a GT fan and put it on a controller and set it to 6-700rpm. The GT fans are about the best you are going to come across for cfm to noise ratio.

yea but can a GT push air through a h50 at 700rpm?
also are there 140mm GTs?

Last edited:
yea but can a GT push air through a h50 at 700rpm?
also are there 140mm GTs?

Any fan at 700prm will not be pushing much air through a rad. But the GT fans are some of the best with static pressure on HS's and rads. Give you an idea, my GT cools my TRUE just as good at the same (1000rpm) as a 38mm thick delta.

i also have a fan controller. right now i have 3 cooler master R4s and 2 stock NZXT 140mm case fans. the case fans are loud but such a pain to replace if i wanted too. i'd have to take out the motherboard before i could take out the 140mm fans. The R4's aren't exactly quiet either so i was probably gonna get 2 slipstreams to replace the front fans and 1 GT to go on the h50 (set up is rad->shroud->push fan) and im hoping this will be quieter.

Back